I AM NOT THAT GUY

Another Republican Congressman on Rape

87 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I don't agree with this "people that are raped wont get pregnant" BS. However, the article you posted is pretty unprofessional. I like facts, not opinions. I don't need to read:

and anger about Akin and his baseless, stupid comments.

So let's turn our attention to some goddamn science.

Allow me to amaze and dazzle you with a very basic reading of a rather clear-cut and unambiguous literature, something Akin could have done even without my fancy PhD. Especially since he is on the Committee on Science, Space, and Technology.

To me that stuff takes away from the facts, and makes it seem like something someone from Fox News or MSNBC would come up with. State the facts, and leave your opinions out. I don't disagree with the article, but I could do without all the "extra' stuff added.

Edited by Karee

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

An early British legal text — Fleta, from about 1290 — has this to say: "If, however, the woman should have conceived at the time alleged in the appeal, it abates, for without a woman's consent she could not conceive."

There was an antiquated idea that a woman could not become pregnant without having an orgasm because it was believed that there was a female "seed" secreted during climax which needed to complement the male sperm.

No, no,no, you emphatically believe the doctor is wrong. You must have research wish shows stress or other factors have noting to do with the likelihood of conceiving.

Have you seen that research or are you just supposing it is true because of some old silly text?

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
AkinMeme.jpg

July 09, 2012 - Sent in application for I-129f petition for K1 Visa
Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
Feb. 23, 2013 - Visa received
March 31, 2013 - POE
April 12, 2013 - Wedding! (41213 prime!)

May 02, 2013 - Sent off AOS, EAD, AP package

May 04, 2013 - Package arrived at Chicago lockbox

May 22, 2013 - Early walk in Biometrics, Alexandria VA

June 03, 2013 - RFE for AOS

June 17, 2013 - RFE response received

July 05, 2013 - EAD and AP approved

July 10, 2013 - EAD card production

Timeline

No, no,no, you emphatically believe the doctor is wrong. You must have research wish shows stress or other factors have noting to do with the likelihood of conceiving.

Have you seen that research or are you just supposing it is true because of some old silly text?

I guess you didn't read the articles posted.

Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
March 31, 2013 - POE

Timeline

ACOG (American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology) Statement on Rape and Pregnancy

August 20, 2012

Washington, DC — Recent remarks by a member of the US House of Representatives suggesting that “women who are victims of ‘legitimate rape’ rarely get pregnant” are medically inaccurate, offensive, and dangerous.

Each year in the US, 10,000–15,000 abortions occur among women whose pregnancies are a result of reported rape or incest. An unknown number of pregnancies resulting from rape are carried to term. There is absolutely no veracity to the claim that “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to shut that whole thing down.” A woman who is raped has no control over ovulation, fertilization, or implantation of a fertilized egg (ie, pregnancy). To suggest otherwise contradicts basic biological truths.

Any person forced to submit to sexual intercourse against his or her will is the victim of rape, a heinous crime. There are no varying degrees of rape. To suggest otherwise is inaccurate and insulting and minimizes the serious physical and psychological repercussions for all victims of rape.

Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
March 31, 2013 - POE

I don't agree with this "people that are raped wont get pregnant" BS. However, the article you posted is pretty unprofessional. I like facts, not opinions. I don't need to read:

and anger about Akin and his baseless, stupid comments.

So let's turn our attention to some goddamn science.

Allow me to amaze and dazzle you with a very basic reading of a rather clear-cut and unambiguous literature, something Akin could have done even without my fancy PhD. Especially since he is on the Committee on Science, Space, and Technology.

To me that stuff takes away from the facts, and makes it seem like something someone from Fox News or MSNBC would come up with. State the facts, and leave your opinions out. I don't disagree with the article, but I could do without all the "extra' stuff added.

It's a blog post, not an article. Different journalistic standards apply.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

It's a blog post, not an article. Different journalistic standards apply.

Ohh ok. Are there any journalistic standards applied to blog posts?

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Timeline
ACOG (American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology) Statement on Rape and Pregnancy

August 20, 2012

Washington, DC — Recent remarks by a member of the US House of Representatives suggesting that “women who are victims of ‘legitimate rape’ rarely get pregnant” are medically inaccurate, offensive, and dangerous.

Each year in the US, 10,000–15,000 abortions occur among women whose pregnancies are a result of reported rape or incest. An unknown number of pregnancies resulting from rape are carried to term. There is absolutely no veracity to the claim that “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to shut that whole thing down.” A woman who is raped has no control over ovulation, fertilization, or implantation of a fertilized egg (ie, pregnancy). To suggest otherwise contradicts basic biological truths.

Any person forced to submit to sexual intercourse against his or her will is the victim of rape, a heinous crime. There are no varying degrees of rape. To suggest otherwise is inaccurate and insulting and minimizes the serious physical and psychological repercussions for all victims of rape.

American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology? Sounds like a bunch of LWNJs to me. Why would you trust them over the honorable gentlemen from Georgia, Missouri and Indiana?

Ohh ok. Are there any journalistic standards applied to blog posts?

Generally, I would say no more than any other opinion piece, though this one does have the imprimatur of Scientific American and appears to be well-researched.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

No, that's not what I don't understand. What I don't understand is him talking about Akin's statement, and then talking about a teenage girl lying about being raped out of fear of the consequences from her parents.

Because saying some people lie about being raped is true. Saying pregnancy doesn't happen from rape is untrue. Comparing the two statements doesn't make sense because they're two completely different topics.

But the fact is tha he did not say that or anything close to that. He said very plainly that pregnancy can happen from rape

No, the suggestion is that leaving a rape loophole in anti-abortion legislation would just cause women to cry rape if they wanted to get an abortion. They're saying that there does not need to be an exception for rape because if a woman really does get raped, she won't get pregnant. Hence, if the woman got pregnant, obviously she wasn't really raped. That's what the essence of Akin's statement was and now you have this buffoon from Georgia basically endorsing this bullshite.

I

You can't comprehend basic thought . .. I am pro-choice. I am all for abortion regardless of rape, and certainly support it in the case of rape. I think Akin is an idot and don't support his view points at all.

The guy plainly said rape can and does result in pregnancy, that he does not support Akin's at all, but that from a medical standpoint it can make conception less likely. That is a medical fact.

No but to suggest that the tens of thousands of rapes that result in pregnancies each and every year were not actually rapes is offensive and reflects on the sheer stupidity of the person making that claim. To endorse such offensive stupidity as the Georgia buffoon now does it almost comical. Only it isn't funny.

I did not endorse anything, plus your a weak troll..

Even if he is being unfairly quoted, I don't see how you can wiggle out of that one. Why say "could potentially" at all?

Here's an idea. Forget about birth control pills. Just beat the $hit out of your SO while having sex. Surely she wont become pregnant.

(Before some mod comes along and throws me in the clink with Kip, I meant the above sarcastically)

I do agree it was not smart of him to touch that subject. However he is a trained and very talented OBGYN, he was asked a clinical question and answered. He plainly said it does and often does result in pregnancy

Where did I say that? I didn't say that at all. But since you brought it up, let's see some valid statistics. And I mean valid. Not some stats from some doctor working for Operation Rescue.

What I said is, for them to think that rape victims cant get pregnant makes them morons. And it does.

THEY THEY more than one is they.....Do not think that.... Can you people read ? He plainly said -----"Where Akin was wrong, Gingrey said, was in suggesting that a pregnancy could never or almost never result from rape"

I mean WTH Gingrey disagreed with the man and said he did not support his statements.