Sol88

Where to Marry?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everyone,

Simple Situation: I (US Citizen), want to get a Fiancee Visa for my Canadian Fiancee. I came here because we like to know our options.

I want to know if it is okay to marry in Canada, instead of the US, and if so; How would that work? Or is it a MUST for us to Marry in the USA?

Also, is it even realistic to plan a proxy wedding in a place where neither of us immediately live?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If you want to marry in Canada, then you would need to marry there and then file the petition for a CR-1 spousal visa. If you want to use a K-1 fiance(e) visa, you MUST marry in the US within 90 days of entry with the K-1. http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If you get a K-1, you must marry in the US within 90 days on entry on the K-1. You can marry in Canada and then file for a CR-1/IR-1 if you want.

I am the USC/petitioner.

Our K-1 Journey
12/19/2012 - Mailed I-129F via USPS Express
12/21/2012 - I-129F arrives in Lewisville, TX according to USPS tracking (delayed because it's the USPS)
12/21/2012 - NOA1 date of receipt
12/26/2012 - NOA1 received via text/email
12/27/2012 - Checked cashed by USCIS
12/31/2012 - Alien Number changed (NOA1 hardcopy in post, but was away for 2 weeks prior)

05/16/2013 - NOA2 received via text/email

05/20/2013 - NOA2 hardcopy received in post

05/28/2013 - NVC receives packet and assigns London case number

07/15/2013 - Sent all paperwork/medical complete

08/23/2013 - Receive Interview Date

09/19/2013 - Interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Remember a marriage ceremony is just kind of a show, the real deal goes down in government offices with paperwork. So if she wants a ceremony for her family to attend in Canada you can do that, but if you are using the fiance visa you just don't do the real marriage paperwork until you get the visa and are both in America. You don't even have to tell family/friends the Canadian wedding wasn't the official deal.

2naTm4.png

P&Y's K1 Journey
04-25-2010 Met at a wedding in Tokyo
04-27-2010 First date
09-05-2010 P visits Y in Japan
12-29-2010 Y visits P in US
04-01-2011 P moves to Japan
04-01-2012 First apartment together
12-23-2012 P moves back to US
12-31-2012 K-1 Packet Sent, $340
01-03-2013 Arrival confirmation
01-09-2013 NOA1 (text/email)
01-14-2013 NOA1 Hardcopy

06-17-2013 RFE (Request for Passport Photos)

06-26-2013 Notification of my RFE reply arriving at USCIS
07-15-2013 NOA2
08-07-2013 Packet 3 received

08-09-2013 Packet 3 returned to Embassy
08-13-2013 TBC Medical

08-26-2013 Interview
09-07-2013 Visa Received
09-19-2013 US Entry
10-19-2013 Wedding

10-29-2013 AOS and AP package sent

12-20-2013 Biometrics

02-03-2014 AP approval received

03-17-2014 Letter received stating no interview necessary, but up to 6 more months waiting for decision

05-10-2014 Moved to Hawaii

06-18-2014 Call from USCIS confirming change of address, now mailing paperwork to Hawaii

08-18-2014 Received NOA confirming permanent residency

08-22-2014 Received Green-card in the mail!

• 2 months later...

True, however I heard it would be rather difficult because we would have to wait another few months to get permission to go back. Which is very hard to predict and plan things.

Read the guides to see which is best for you.

We were married in BC by my mother who is a minister, in the town I grew up in. In BC the govt sends you a marriage certificate and it only took about a month to receive even though I live in Alberta. In Alberta, you have to buy the marriage certificate after the marriage is registered. In Ontario it can take months to get it. I've heard of people having it that day when getting married in various places in the USA. You really can't start the CR1 process without a wedding certificate unless it's unobtainable.

Right now CR1 visas are being processed faster than K1 visas unless you're fortunate to get Vermont Service Center for the K1. But that also depends on the location of the US petitioner as well since the files are sent to local offices and some haven't started working on their files yet (Atlanta for example.)

A CR1 allows the spouse to travel and work almost immediately. You still need a SSN. But with a K1 it's a one time use visa, you must be married in the USA, then you apply for the adjustment of status, during which time you can apply for EAD (basically a work permit) and AP (advance parole which allows travel outside the USA while the AOS is being processed.) I wanted to be able to travel and work right away.

However a K1 visa interview can be conducted in either Vancouver or Montreal. CR1/IR1 interviews are ONLY conducted in Montreal. That means a huge travel expenses for people on the western side of Canada. Because I live in Alberta, I would have to pay to travel wherever I go, it was just a fact. . So while the cost is large, it's a constant, thus the K1 would have cost more.

The huge downside to the CR1?? I have yet to live with my husband for more then 36 days. And we've almost been married a year. Granted we didn't start this process when we married because we were still unsure of the direction we wanted to go (him north or me south) and he wasn't working at the time either. We knew that was important for the affidavit of support. But had he not gotten his career when he did, we'd be on the road to Canada website rather than VJ. :)

Edited by NikiR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.