Cathi

Employment for husband

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I am looking for advice if anyone has some. My husband has been here for about 3 months, and he is still struggling to find employment. He has a Bachelors in Computer Science, with some experience in his field before he got here, but not a lot. He has been applying for jobs in his field, along with applying for any and all jobs part and full time in supermarkets, retail stores, restaurants, Walmart, Home Depot, Target you name it he has applied, even for dishwasher and loading dock positions. He has signed up with staffing agencies, temp agencies. He looks on Career Builder, Indeed, Linkedn, Monster among many others and sends dozens of resumes each day. He is fluent in reading, writing and speaking English, he has excellent verbal and communications skills, and has a good resume. He has had only one interview at Home Depot for a part time position on weekends, he was up against 16 other people and didn't get it. He is becoming very discouraged, but he still keeps trying. Does anyone have any other advice for him, where he should be looking or what he can do? Thanks in advance everyone, you have all been so helpful during this entire process for us.

Edited by mimolicious

I'd stick to computer science - there should be junior level positions. Dice is a website for CS - check there. Make sure his resume is up to US standards and buy him a suit :) I might try to find a good headhunter. Where do you live?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I am looking for advice if anyone has some. My husband has been here for about 3 months, and he is still struggling to find employment. He has a Bachelors in Computer Science, with some experience in his field before he got here, but not a lot. He has been applying for jobs in his field, along with applying for any and all jobs part and full time in supermarkets, retail stores, restaurants, Walmart, Home Depot, Target you name it he has applied, even for dishwasher and loading dock positions. He has signed up with staffing agencies, temp agencies. He looks on Career Builder, Indeed, Linkedn, Monster among many others and sends dozens of resumes each day. He is fluent in reading, writing and speaking English, he has excellent verbal and communications skills, and has a good resume. He has had only one interview at Home Depot for a part time position on weekends, he was up against 16 other people and didn't get it. He is becoming very discouraged, but he still keeps trying. Does anyone have any other advice for him, where he should be looking or what he can do? Thanks in advance everyone, you have all been so helpful during this entire process for us.

My husband has been having the same trouble finding a job. Just like your husband he has applied for a positions in his field where he has many years of experience and also for anything including warehouse, retail, etc. He isn't even getting called for interviews.

K1 Visa                                                                 Adjustment of Status                                                             ROC

Service Center : California Service Center                        CIS Office : Kansas City MO Service Center                           California Service Center

Consulate : Bucharest, Romania

I-129F Sent : 2011-11-18                                 Date Filed : 2012-09-04 Date                            Filed: 2015-05-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-11-23                                      NOA Date : 2012-09-06                                                             NOA1 Date: 2015-05-28

I-129F RFE(s) : none                                              RFE(s) : NONE                                              RFE(s): NONE

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-04-12                                                 Bio. Appt. : 2012-10-03                                                              BIO. Appt.: 2015-09-15

NVC Received : 2012-04-26

NVC Left : 2012-05-10                                           EAD/AP Approved : 2012-11-08                             ROC APPROVED:2015-10-26      

Consulate Received : 2012-05-14                               EAD/AP Card Received : 2012-11-17                         Green card Received: 2015-11-04    

Packet 3 Received : 2012-05-17                                          Green card Approved : 2013-07-08                        NO INTERVIEW

Packet 3 Sent : 2012-05-20                                                    NO INTERVIEW

Interview Date : 2012-06-26                                                 Green Card Received : 2013-07-15

Interview Result : Approved                                                 

Visa Received : 2012-06-26                                                   

US Entry : 2012-07-05

Marriage : 2012-08-24

N-400 Naturalization:

04/25/2016 N-400 sent to USCIS AZ courier address thru FedEx

05/04/2106 NOA I-797 Receipt Notice Date
05/27/2016 Fingerprints Bio-metrics appointment date
06/08/2016 E-notification of interview scheduling
06/13/2016 Received official letter regarding interview
07/18/2016 Date of Interview
08/11/2016 Date Oath Ceremony
Field Office: Kansas City, MO

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

1. Make sure he has joined some groups on linkedin that are relevant to what he has experience in.

2. Also make sure he has set his contact settings on linkedin to show that he is interested in new ventures etc.

3. Aside from linkedin I also got contacted through the recruiting sites. Have him sign up on websites that are used by recruitment companies. Check out which recruitment companies are active in the area. Quite often you can see that a lot of the ads on Monster.com and other sites are actually ads put there by a recruitment company on the behalf of a client. Sign up with those companies.

Timeline

I'd stick to computer science - there should be junior level positions. Dice is a website for CS - check there. Make sure his resume is up to US standards and buy him a suit :) I might try to find a good headhunter. Where do you live?

Even with Tier I and Junior level, companies are asking for a minimum of 3 years experience, it's a joke, He does apply to them though. We live in NH, but we are within commuting distance to Boston and Massachusetts, which is where he has been applying most of the time as that is where most of the openings seem to be. First thing we did was buy him a nice suit, and my sister who works in HR in another part of the country did a great job updating his resume. Thanks for the tip about finding him a headhunter, any idea where we would look for one? I have no idea, I am a dental hygienist and the IT field is totally foreign to me He has someone from Robert Half who is supposedly looking for him, but I have my doubts about this guy. headbonk.gif

1. Make sure he has joined some groups on linkedin that are relevant to what he has experience in.

2. Also make sure he has set his contact settings on linkedin to show that he is interested in new ventures etc.

3. Aside from linkedin I also got contacted through the recruiting sites. Have him sign up on websites that are used by recruitment companies. Check out which recruitment companies are active in the area. Quite often you can see that a lot of the ads on Monster.com and other sites are actually ads put there by a recruitment company on the behalf of a client. Sign up with those companies.

Got setup on Linkdn the first day he was here good.gif he has signed up with several recruitment companies who specialize in his field.

Can he get some remote work experience (say, odesk.com) at least? My husband is a programmer and has gotten lots of interviews, but I think it's only because he has experience.

never heard of odesk.com...i'll have him check it out

Timeline

I told him about dice too, and he said he has a profile there and checks that daily as wellwacko.gif

They have jobs there. http://seeker.dice.com/jobsearch/results/US/Portsmouth-Metro

I might help him manage his "checking."

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

They have jobs there. http://seeker.dice.c...ortsmouth-Metro

thanks harpa...you're awesome!!!!!

Timeline

They have jobs there. http://seeker.dice.c...ortsmouth-Metro

Harpa thanks so much, there were so many jobs there that he applied to. we tried to figure out the exact search you entered, and from what we can tell you only entered Portsmouth metro area. he has searched before and his search always came back with nothing even when he searched in IT. I have no idea what you did but it was awesome. When he searches on indeed and careerbuilder he gets a lot.

Filed: Timeline

Headhunters is just another term for a recruiter. You can try searching google for staffing agency, recruiting agency, headhunter + the type of specialty he has. You should expand your search beyond your local area. Because of the internet headhunters can work completely online. They can have an office based in NYC and find jobs for people all along the east coast depending on how well connected they are.

This may or may not be helpful (although I hope it is!): Amazon.com offers cloud sourced work through Mechanical Turks. I've been doing it in my spare time for about a month now. While I haven't made a ton of money, it's something to do ... and it's kindof addictive (facebook, we've broken up!). There are people who DO make decent money, $100+ a day, and I can see how that's possible.

Of course it's not a career, but it is a way to make money and "feel" employed.

Here's a link: https://www.mturk.com/mturk/welcome

There are message boards, etc., which offer tons of helpful information about how to be successful doing it. If you're interested in any of those, send me a PM.

I wish you and your husband the best.

Edited by Ihavequestions

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Try networking through Computer Science events on MeetUp.com -there are several CS-related MeetUp groups in my area alone. Also try eLance.com -my cousin hires freelance people through this website ALL the time for computer work for her business and even things like making powerpoints for her to use.

Also, search for "language software" and "translation" companies around your area. There should be a few of them especially if you're in a larger city. My husband has found freelance work translating Swedish & product testing. PS... he got this opportunity through an event from MeetUp.com

Network, network, network.

Let him know our empathies are with him. It's a tough position and really hard emotionally and physically for the both of you I know.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

My husband has been having the same trouble finding a job. Just like your husband he has applied for a positions in his field where he has many years of experience and also for anything including warehouse, retail, etc. He isn't even getting called for interviews.

Oh, I feel your pain, I am a freaking linguist, specialized in Romanian, with over 3 years teaching experience, and I keep on applying to jobs that seem to be specifically created for me ... and no call back.

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Oh, I feel your pain, I am a freaking linguist, specialized in Romanian, with over 3 years teaching experience, and I keep on applying to jobs that seem to be specifically created for me ... and no call back.

:( sry to hear that! It is so frustrating. Hopefully you will start hearing something. Andrei finally got some calls on jobs he applied for before the New Year. He got a job this week -not doing anything in his field but it was something that was through a friend - I'm hoping that once he gets some work experience here he can find a position more suited to his education and training.

Wishing you lots of luck! Hope everything is going good for you and that you are not missing home too much. I think I miss Romania more than Andrei does!

K1 Visa                                                                 Adjustment of Status                                                             ROC

Service Center : California Service Center                        CIS Office : Kansas City MO Service Center                           California Service Center

Consulate : Bucharest, Romania

I-129F Sent : 2011-11-18                                 Date Filed : 2012-09-04 Date                            Filed: 2015-05-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-11-23                                      NOA Date : 2012-09-06                                                             NOA1 Date: 2015-05-28

I-129F RFE(s) : none                                              RFE(s) : NONE                                              RFE(s): NONE

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-04-12                                                 Bio. Appt. : 2012-10-03                                                              BIO. Appt.: 2015-09-15

NVC Received : 2012-04-26

NVC Left : 2012-05-10                                           EAD/AP Approved : 2012-11-08                             ROC APPROVED:2015-10-26      

Consulate Received : 2012-05-14                               EAD/AP Card Received : 2012-11-17                         Green card Received: 2015-11-04    

Packet 3 Received : 2012-05-17                                          Green card Approved : 2013-07-08                        NO INTERVIEW

Packet 3 Sent : 2012-05-20                                                    NO INTERVIEW

Interview Date : 2012-06-26                                                 Green Card Received : 2013-07-15

Interview Result : Approved                                                 

Visa Received : 2012-06-26                                                   

US Entry : 2012-07-05

Marriage : 2012-08-24

N-400 Naturalization:

04/25/2016 N-400 sent to USCIS AZ courier address thru FedEx

05/04/2106 NOA I-797 Receipt Notice Date
05/27/2016 Fingerprints Bio-metrics appointment date
06/08/2016 E-notification of interview scheduling
06/13/2016 Received official letter regarding interview
07/18/2016 Date of Interview
08/11/2016 Date Oath Ceremony
Field Office: Kansas City, MO

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.