duraaraa

Sharing a language

53 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

That's really cool. When I was leaving my job in Japan last month, the girl who was replacing me was Californian and her husband is Japanese. They only communicate in French. I can't imagine both parties using a second language to communicate, pretty wild.

Actually, this is quite common! Before I learned Mongolian, there were many Mongolians who I communicated with in Japanese. Then, even wilder, there were some Mongolians who could speak Chinese who I communicated with by writing Kanji.

It is somewhat common for foreigners who marry Danes here as well. I know German/Danish couples who speak in English, etc.

I think it is probably best for one part to learn the other one's language or both parties to do it, but I suppose that is up to them.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: Timeline

It is somewhat common for foreigners who marry Danes here as well. I know German/Danish couples who speak in English, etc.

I think it is probably best for one part to learn the other one's language or both parties to do it, but I suppose that is up to them.

My grandparents were actually a Norwegian/Danish couple, but I think they just spoke to each other in their own languages, since they're pretty much mutually intelligible. It certainly confused the heck out of me with regards to which is which.

I think this is quite common with lots of languages, though. Turkish/Azerbaijani, Mongolian/Buryat/Kalmyk, Persian/Dari, the various forms of Arabic, and lots of other languages.

Edited by duraaraa

What would Xenu do?

OP- Theres a lot of good advice listed here and I wish you good luck. A few things to keep in mind when drawing on others experiences. This is a K1 interview and not a spousal CR1 interview. Typically in a K1 interview no one is allowed into the interview besides the intending immigrant. in a CR1 interview if both spouses are present at the embassy the CO can bring the other spouse in if they like.

Because of the concern the CO may have of whether or not you share a language I could foresee them bringing you in (if you were present) either into the interview or into a separate room to evaluate your language skills for themselves. But again the standard protocol for K1 interviews is for the intending immigrant to be interviewed alone, even if the USC accompanies them to the interview.

As for the amount of evidence and what kinds of evidence- Im usually very hesitant to offer any kind of input and avoid threads like these. God forbid something goes wrong, you end up with an angry poster returning to the forums yelling I did what you all told me and look what happened.

If you read through the threads youll find the number one reason for K1 denials is not lack of evidence (although it does happen) but rather a case of people 'putting their foot in their mouth'. Loose lips sink ships. The more you talk and disclose with out them asking you the greater the chance youre going to say something wrong.

To apply this to your situation. You said she lives in a poor district and your situation in the US is middle class. Ok. So its not a secret. Her address is listed on the forms. So is yours. The CO knows this before you even walk in the door. They can pull up the address on google, research market values, they can even see satellite images of the property if they want. Theres no need for you to draw attention to the fact that she would be moving from a poor district to a middle class one by including it in a letter.

You should be prepared with an answer if the question comes up, but its not something you should volunteer or draw attention to yourself. To do so is IMO stupid.

So be prepared for whatever questions may arise. Write a letter and prepare a video showing you share a language but be careful of the content. Express you love for her in it and stress the fact the relationship is legitimate but do not address any specific concerns you may be imagining they have because you dont know what theyre thinking and you may inadvertently plant one in their head instead of easing one away.

OP- Theres a lot of good advice listed here and I wish you good luck. A few things to keep in mind when drawing on others experiences. This is a K1 interview and not a spousal CR1 interview. Typically in a K1 interview no one is allowed into the interview besides the intending immigrant. in a CR1 interview if both spouses are present at the embassy the CO can bring the other spouse in if they like.

Because of the concern the CO may have of whether or not you share a language I could foresee them bringing you in (if you were present) either into the interview or into a separate room to evaluate your language skills for themselves. But again the standard protocol for K1 interviews is for the intending immigrant to be interviewed alone, even if the USC accompanies them to the interview.

As for the amount of evidence and what kinds of evidence- Im usually very hesitant to offer any kind of input and avoid threads like these. God forbid something goes wrong, you end up with an angry poster returning to the forums yelling I did what you all told me and look what happened.

If you read through the threads youll find the number one reason for K1 denials is not lack of evidence (although it does happen) but rather a case of people 'putting their foot in their mouth'. Loose lips sink ships. The more you talk and disclose with out them asking you the greater the chance youre going to say something wrong.

To apply this to your situation. You said she lives in a poor district and your situation in the US is middle class. Ok. So its not a secret. Her address is listed on the forms. So is yours. The CO knows this before you even walk in the door. They can pull up the address on google, research market values, they can even see satellite images of the property if they want. Theres no need for you to draw attention to the fact that she would be moving from a poor district to a middle class one by including it in a letter.

You should be prepared with an answer if the question comes up, but its not something you should volunteer or draw attention to yourself. To do so is IMO stupid.

So be prepared for whatever questions may arise. Write a letter and prepare a video showing you share a language but be careful of the content. Express you love for her in it and stress the fact the relationship is legitimate but do not address any specific concerns you may be imagining they have because you dont know what theyre thinking and you may inadvertently plant one in their head instead of easing one away.

Very solid advice, and much appreciated.

If I told her that she was poor, she wouldn't agree with me.

Luckily the Mongolian culture and way of communication in these settings is very similar, in my opinion, to the way the immigration officials in the U.S. like to do business. They tend to give short, direct answers. I think we need backup plans to explain the differences in our backgrounds, but I also think that the CO would be crazy to consider it fraud in our case. Then again, not everyone thinks the way I do.

With that said, I have searched the threads of denials on this board. I haven't, however, seen what kind of information was given to indicate that the interviewee had too loose of lips. I'd love an example of what kind of specific things these people have said which lead the CO not to approve them.

What would Xenu do?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Dude I wish U sucess, I'd go with Darnell advise,post it to youtube then put into her email (I hear CO someetimes reuest to C ones emaol)

get the evaulation done and certified , just be well prepared.

Oh, I wasn't suggesting to prep a video, at this stage,

but rather,

to cover use of language in an evolution of relationship letter, submitted with the I-129F.

The Consular Officers will see it before the interview day, as it travels with the casefile.

OP, have other red flags? write up a letter of attestation on each red flag, include it with the I-129F.

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Oh, I wasn't suggesting to prep a video, at this stage,

but rather,

to cover use of language in an evolution of relationship letter, submitted with the I-129F.

The Consular Officers will see it before the interview day, as it travels with the casefile.

OP, have other red flags? write up a letter of attestation on each red flag, include it with the I-129F.

Good Luck !

Actually, I-129F has already been filed, so it's, unfortunately, too late to do this. I suppose I could do it if I receive an RFE, though.

Although, I did mention that we use Mongolian to communicate in the I-129F, so that should be good enough, I hope. I see all these documents sent to the consular offices in which the recommendation is to approve the petition unless concrete evidence of a scam or ineligibility is found. In our case, I truly believe there is nothing that could be thought of as evidence of a scam or an ineligibility, so I have some faith that it will go smoothly.

Edited by duraaraa

What would Xenu do?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

ok - disregard anything I've written here.

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.