SW&GI

Buy your ticket before the interview..

55 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Honduras
Timeline

We bought the plane tickets before we got the visa, but we were literally driving back and forth from our city to the Embassy (4 hours away by bus) two days prior to our flight, hoping we would have the visa issued in time. Luckily, it was issued but I was almost in serious panic mode. I'd advise against it. I also flew back to the USA with my husband, and I literally HAD to be in the USA on the day that we flew back, but it was so stressful and I wish that it didn't have to be that way -- so if there is no reason why you HAVE to be in the USA (I'm guessing no - my reason was a family matter) then wait until after the visa is issued. You will have time to say goodbye to family, friends, pack up slowly, etc. And you won't be so stressed!

El destino me ha unido a vos.

I-129F K1 Visa Process
[01.18.2012] Sent I-129F Petition
[01.20.2012] NOA1
[06.13.2012] NOA2 - no RFE's
[07.09.2012] Petition received at NVC; case number assigned
[07.11.2012] Petition sent to Honduras consulate
[07.13.2012] Consulate received petition package
[08.07.2012] Received interview date & Packet 4 in email
[10.10.2012] Interview smile.png - APPROVED!
[10.18.2012] POE Houston
[10.29.2012] Marriage <3

I-485 AOS Process
[12.14.2012] Sent I-485 Package with I-765
[12.19.2012] NOA1
[12.24.2012] Biometrics letter received
[01.02.2013] RFE notice
[01.05.2013] RFE hardcopy received
[01.07.2013] Biometrics appointment
[03.04.2013] RFE sent back to USCIS
[03.19.2013] EAD approved
[03.27.2013] EAD arrived in the mail

[09.21.2013] I-485 approved

[09.26.2013] Green card sent in mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

You will still have enough time to do that (up to 180 days) after the interview and having visa in hand.

So after the interview they have 180 days to enter the United States?

eJLMm6.png

K1 Visa JourneyI129F

Sent: Nov 1st,2012

NOA1: Nov 7th,2012

NOA2:May 28th, 2013

NVC CASE RECEIVE: June10, 2013

NVC CASE LEFT: June 12,2013

EMBASSY RECEIVED: June 14, 2013

Packet3:never received he asked in ciudad juarez for it.

Medical: Aug.6,2013

Interview: Aug.7, 2013 approved

visa received: August 14, 2013

poe: August 21, 2013

AOS:

Sent:February 3,2014

Received: February 7,2014

Biometrics: March 14, 2014

EAD: April 23rd (Online Status changed)

EAD Card Received: May 1st

I485: still in initial Review since Feb 11

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

hello Dear VJ's

is it okay to have plans before the visa petition interview? Like buying ticket, because it is cheaper if we book ahead of time, right?

will it affect the decision of giving you K1 visa?

thank you VJ's family

NO!!!

May God bless and keep you always~ May your wishes all come true~ May you always do for others~ And let others do for you~

May you build a ladder to the stars~ And climb on every rung~May you stay forever young

Bob Dylan

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Actually, I bought my tickets before the interview and got lucky. I did buy tickets for date 1 week after the interview. We flew home together. Now, let's compare prices: If you buy after visa is in hand and if you want to fly within a week it will be extremely expensive. If you buy tickets ahead of time it will be MUCH cheaper. Let's say you did not get lucky and you have to change the date. Usually there is $100-150 changing fee... Still makes sense..

the last time I checked refundable tickets for an international flight are like double in cost. Its a no win situation and you are right YOU just got LUCKY.

May God bless and keep you always~ May your wishes all come true~ May you always do for others~ And let others do for you~

May you build a ladder to the stars~ And climb on every rung~May you stay forever young

Bob Dylan

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

hello Dear VJ's

is it okay to have plans before the visa petition interview? Like buying ticket, because it is cheaper if we book ahead of time, right?

thank you VJ's family

The only two plans you should have before the visa petition interview are:

1. get the medical done and

2. bathe daily.

That's it.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

hello Dear VJ's

thank you VJ's family

Don't do it wait until you have the visa in hand. You don't know if they will be asking for more documents :star:

jkshrmfeqk.png

ooOcm7.png

event.png

hello Dear VJ's

thank you VJ's family

For us, I can book the flight tomorrow or 6 months from now and pay very little difference except for the time of year premiums like summer and Xmas. After the visa is in hand you can wait up to 6 months, typically, to enter the US. While your purchasing your tickets, you might want to purchase a lottery ticket too. IMHO both would be a good bet to throw your money away. Either that or spend the money for a completely refundable or reschedulable ticket, thenwhen things go south you are not out the money.

Good luck,

Dave

Filed: Timeline

Whether or not you have a plane ticket purchased already has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not your relationship and coming marriage is legit. So no, it won't affect the outcome of your visa application one bit.

Whether you want to buy the ticket now is up to you. Just don't be shocked if there's a delay in the visa issuance and you don't get a refund. The embassy will mail your visa when they mail it. The airline won't give you a refund if you don't have the visa on time, and the embassy certainly won't refund your plane ticket.

Filed: Timeline
Now, let's compare prices: If you buy after visa is in hand and if you want to fly within a week it will be extremely expensive. If you buy tickets ahead of time it will be MUCH cheaper. Let's say you did not get lucky and you have to change the date. Usually there is $100-150 changing fee... Still makes sense..

But it's not like you HAVE to fly a day or a week after getting a visa, right?

Some people get lucky, but some not. And some tickets have restrictions, so the changing fee may be higher.

So after the interview they have 180 days to enter the United States?

Approximately. Sometimes it depends on your medical exam date, because your visa might be valid till your medical exam expires.

Edited by Asia

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Actually, I bought my tickets before the interview and got lucky. I did buy tickets for date 1 week after the interview. We flew home together. Now, let's compare prices: If you buy after visa is in hand and if you want to fly within a week it will be extremely expensive. If you buy tickets ahead of time it will be MUCH cheaper. Let's say you did not get lucky and you have to change the date. Usually there is $100-150 changing fee... Still makes sense..

This is really funny.... :rofl: Can tell he doesn't read the fine print... :reading: You do have to pay the changing fee, but you also have to pay the difference in the ticket prices.... :oops: Like they say, nothing is free...

hello Dear VJ's

thank you VJ's family

It has been seen in many case where people have actually went ahead and purchase a ticket months even week before there interview... Is it a smart thing to do? I don't think so.... But if you're a "Risk taker" who will do it anyways, If you have the funds to spend by all means, other wise it clearly states, " Please do not make any travel arrangement until you have your visas at hand. Once you have been interviewed and approved for an immigrant visa, collection of the immigrant visa will be within one week from the day it has been approved"

Edited by GodsGift225

~* GodsGift225*~

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Send us the money instead, please.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.