mike42979

Christian wedding in the Philippines???

22 posts in this topic

... Anyways we want to go in the Philippines and find someone that can marry us or should i say renew our vows in a larger propper ceremony weather its outside or in a church it doesnt matter. Do they have pastors that do this?

Thanks for your help!

The OP does clearly state a renewal of vows...

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

one post removed along with one member's access to this thread for failing to heed moderation direction

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Hi, Me and my wife already married in the U.S by civil ceremony would like to have a church or garden wedding in the Philippines. We are both catholic but catholic wedding has been ruled out because according to our church deacon I the husband was never confirmed and they can not confirm me because i married my wife civilly within 90 days. Anyways we want to go in the Philippines and find someone that can marry us or should i say renew our vows in a larger propper ceremony weather its outside or in a church it doesnt matter. Do they have pastors that do this?

Thanks for your help!

Yes I did exactly that. You are right Catholic is out. If you have already reproted your marriage, you can get you Marriage certficate in the Philippines in about 60 days from day of report +/-.. Not sure what location, but if you are in teh Cebu area I can give you the info a of a nice Methodist minister, that will hook you up.

You are already married in the US, so you will not be getting married in the Philippines. You will just be having ceremony to renew your vows. You can get anyone you like except a catholic priest, they are rules for renewing vows also, similar to getting married in a catholic church. So you can get a pastor of another church like Baptist church, or you can have a mayor, or anyone else you like to perform the ceremony since it will not be a official wedding, and no marriage license required.

The ceremony can be just like a wedding, down to every detail, just you can't be officially married again.

EXACTLY !

Even if there are many Catholic churches in the Philippines, they still have the same requirements (re: Baptismal & Confirmation certificates). Now, if they can comply with this, no problem.

Now, if you're referring to churches of ANOTHER RELIGIOUS GROUP (aside from Roman Catholic), then that's another story. You will have to be at least a member of a religious group before they can perform any ceremony for you, subject to their own rules too.

You are mistaken on that.

"Mexican" churches in the Philippines? :no:

Stiffing the church out of a customary donation? That deserves it's own chapter in The Ugly American. :yes:

I think he was trying to say Historic churches from the Spanish colonization era.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Most organized Christian churches even in the US require some form of association (even if it is only one of the parents or godparents of the couple that is a member) to conduct a wedding within their sanctum. Yes, money can talk here in the Philippines just as it does in the US, but the OP was looking for a church or garden wedding and even specifically rephrased his request as a renewal of vows towards the end of his post. As they are already married a marriage of any sort in any location is impossible. Only a renewal of vows is possible and one can be conducted in a Catholic church as long as his wife has her baptismal certificate and he can get a dispensation from the bishop (a simple request and a week or two of waiting for the paperwork). The local parish priest may ask for additional requirements and that is why I suggested he ask his mother-in-law to request the local requirements from the parish priest directly. Renewal of vow ceremonies are common here, usually done for 25th and 50th anniversaries though doing one at an earlier date is not out of the question.

Ok lets clear some things up. The Catholic church does not recognize my civil marriage and one day we would like to have a Catholic church wedding but thats not going to happen as of right now so for now we are perfectly ok with an outside Renewal of vows/ wedding ceremony + Reception. This is mainly for her family to attend and make her marriage to me feel as close to the real thing as possible as opposed to the court house we went to here in the U.S. Her parents and brothers / sisters all live in the cayman islands so its not as if they can walk into the local government office in the Philippines to find out the requirements or someone to officiate a renewal of vows. That is why im asking here, i thank everyone for their responses and did not expect the subject matter to become so convoluted. Again thank you everyone for your help.

My Proposal to kristine!!! :)

I-129F Sent : 2011-01-20

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-01-25

I-129F RFE(s): NONE!!!

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-06-02

Interview Date : 2011-09-01

Interview Result : Approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.