Bad_Daddy

Woman pleads guilty in 'total identity theft' case

28 posts in this topic

http://news.yahoo.com/woman-pleads-guilty-total-identity-theft-case-011609401.html

By By ROXANA HEGEMAN | Associated Press – 21 hrs ago

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) — An illegal immigrant accused of assuming the persona of a Texas teacher pleaded guilty Monday in a case that put a face on the growing crime of "total identity theft" in the United States.

Benita Cardona-Gonzalez, a Mexican national living in Topeka, pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of possessing fraudulent identification documents in a deal with prosecutors that calls for an 18-month prison term.

The 32-year-old was accused of completely assuming the persona of Houston elementary school teacher Candida Gutierrez, who first went public in a story by The Associated Press. Gutierrez recounted how the thief not only opened bank and credit accounts, but assumed her entire persona — using it to get a job, a driver's license, a mortgage, food stamps and even medical care for the birth of two children. All the while, the crook claimed the real Gutierrez was the one who had stolen her identity.

As part of the plea deal, Cardona-Gonzalez agreed not to contest deportation after serving her sentence.

Defense lawyer Matthew Works said after Monday's hearing in Wichita that his client was sorry and didn't intend to harm Gutierrez.

"She wanted to give her children a better life. That is what this is all about," Works said.

Gutierrez said in a phone interview Monday that she plans to attend the sentencing, which is scheduled for March 25.

"I want to see her face to face. I want to see it actually happening," Gutierrez said. "After all this time, I am still haunted. I want to be sure she is put away."

Gutierrez said she would have liked to see Cardona-Gonzalez spend a more than 18 months in prison after everything she put her through. Still, she said she was satisfied with the plea deal because she and her husband want to get the case over with and move on with their lives.

She praised the U.S. attorney's office in Kansas and said Assistant U.S. Attorney Brent Anderson even came to Houston to talk to her about the deal. He returned her original Social Security card and birth certificate, she said.

"They were pretty amazing getting on it once we contacted them," Gutierrez said. "Brent was informative and helpful. He was very efficient."

Gutierrez first learned her identity had been hijacked when she was turned down for a mortgage nearly 12 years ago. Both women claimed they were identity theft victims and sought new Social Security numbers. The Social Security Administration turned down the request from Gutierrez, instead issuing a new number to the woman impersonating her. In another twist, Gutierrez was forced to file her federal income tax forms using a special identification number usually reserved for illegal immigrants.

Edited by Bad_Daddy

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Here's a pic of the criminal.

7584e02a-2ed5-441c-9abc-2f0d23e24906.jpg

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Is this only post-worthy when an illegal immigrant does it? Just curious.

What's the title of this topic? Is this an immigration forum for legal immigration to the USA?

http://bestidentityprotection.net/illegal-immigrants-and-identity-theft/ <----- Check that link out.

sigbet.jpg

What's the title of this topic? Is this an immigration forum for legal immigration to the USA?

http://bestidentityprotection.net/illegal-immigrants-and-identity-theft/ <----- Check that link out.

Gotta love the Troll's!

About four years ago there was a guy here in Tulsa that pulled onscene to a huge 7 car pile up. There were confirmed dead onscene and with multiple critical patients. This guy was not a police officer, medic or firefighter. But he got into one of the fire engines and took one of the firefighters badge and jumped in to help. He said that he was a fireman station on the other side of town and nobody recognized him but they didnt have time to question him. While he was assisting onscene he was stealing narcotic medication out of the ambulance! :lol: Luckly the paramedic in that ambulance noticed that his narc box was empty and told the TPD officer immediately. The guy got busted after they searched everyone. I laugh everytime i think of that story. Its probably why my favorite movie is Catch Me If You Can! The best Con Artists are the one's that get away with it.

It sucks what happened to that girl but it made me think of that story!

http://bestidentityp...identity-theft/ <----- Check that link out.

US citizens steal each other's identity every day, that's all. Was just curious why that's never talked about. Also not sure how identity theft is politics or religion, (edited)

Edited by Kathryn41

my uncle married a woman who was here legally through their marriage (now over) and she still felt the need to use two stolen social security numbers to open credit accounts. she even tried to use their newborn daughter's number. identity theft knows no borders!

Why are Trolling on the OP? . .(deleted) Just saying.

i don't know if you're aware, but typically in internet forums, folks post something of interest and then let the arguing commence.

and technically what you (and now myself) are doing now is trolling...the 'just sayin' there sealed the deal.

Edited by Kathryn41
to delete quoted post removed for violating TOS

Why are Trolling on the OP? (deleted) Just sayin.

I'm trolling for asking a question? What does that make your post?

I asked the question because every time an illegal immigrant does something, it gets posted here in P&R. Regardless of whether it's on topic for the forum or not. So I asked why that is. It was directly related to the topic.

This is an internet forum where if someone posts something, people are allowed to discuss it. I didn't make an off topic comment about the weather.

Edited by Kathryn41
edited to remove quoted post violating TOS

Is this only post-worthy when an illegal immigrant does it? Just curious.

Feel free to start your own thread on that topic but please don't troll this one with your usual off topic post.

i don't know if you're aware, but typically in internet forums, folks post something of interest and then let the arguing commence.

and technically what you (and now myself) are doing now is trolling...the 'just sayin' there sealed the deal.

Save the "just sayin" spiel. This topic is about the woman in the OP along with the millions of stolen SSN's and identities by illegal immigrants. How do illegals obtain a SSN? Seeing how you are going through the visa process I would think you would know the answer to that one.

sigbet.jpg

Feel free to start your own thread on that topic but please don't troll this one with your usual off topic post.

It wasn't off topic at all. It was a question regarding identity theft.

I'm trolling for asking a question? What does that make your post?

I asked the question because every time an illegal immigrant does something, it gets posted here in P&R. Regardless of whether it's on topic for the forum or not. So I asked why that is. It was directly related to the topic.

This is an internet forum where if someone posts something, people are allowed to discuss it. I didn't make an off topic comment about the weather.

Reported. I posted once in this thread that you are free to start your own topic on whatever but please stay off my threads with your usual trolling habits. If this continues to go any further I'm going to start a thread in the Site Discussion forum to make sure something is done.

sigbet.jpg

Save the "just sayin" spiel. This topic is about the woman in the OP along with the millions of stolen SSN's and identities by illegal immigrants. How do illegals obtain a SSN? Seeing how you are going through the visa process I would think you would know the answer to that one.

the op is about an illegal immigrant stealing an ssn and evylin brought up that identity theft is not a crime exclusive to illegal immigrants. imo, that's on topic. and htf would i know how people steal ssns? i actually have no idea what stolen ssns have to do with obtaining a visa. my husband got his visa, activated it, and was issued a number. not catching your drift..

if you don't want people to comment on your posts, maybe.. don't post.

Reported. I posted once in this thread that you are free to start your own topic on whatever but please stay off my threads with your usual trolling habits. If this continues to go any further I'm going to start a thread in the Site Discussion forum to make sure something is done.

Okay, report away. But all I did was ask a question relating to the story.

Identity theft isn't just an illegal immigrant issue.

Edited by Evylin

seriously, if she gets in trouble for commenting IN RELATION to your OP..then there is some serious favoritism going on up in P&R.