one...two...tree

Captain Ewok, This Categories Business of Moving Posts Needs to Stop

62 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

IMO, if a person starts a thread in P&R then there should be careful discretion used by either Moderators or Organizers, with the understanding that the original poster INTENTIONALLY created a new thread in P&R for the sole purpose of sparking a debate/argument.

That is existing guidance from Ewok which goes unheeded by rogue organizers.

Captain,

You know I was never a fan of splintering off P&R from Off Topic, but now because of a few members with their own agenda have been nitpicking over new threads and openly questioning within those threads whether they belong there in the first place. This disruptive, deliberate attempt to hinder the enjoyment of these forums needs to stop. It's reached a level of absurdity.

I would like to suggest that either P&R be clarified and broadened to include any topic which may spark a debate or argument. That was, after all, why so many who participated in Off Topic wanted political and religion based threads in their own separate forum because they almost always sparked a heated discussion and would end up dominating the discussions in Off Topic.

IMO, if a person starts a thread in P&R then there should be careful discretion used by either Moderators or Organizers, with the understanding that the original poster INTENTIONALLY created a new thread in P&R for the sole purpose of sparking a debate/argument. As of right now, a few members are using the 'report' button along with their clout among the Mods/Organizers to effectively censor/kill off any potentially, hotly debated threads because the subject matter is something that don't agree with politically.

Who debates on your green energy threads? You don't even debate on them. You start a topic on green energy and then you disappear. If they were debatable then even the OP would debate his or her own threads yes? Yet you fail do even do that much. They are boring for the most part and add nothing to P&R imo. TBH I'm surprised more of your green energy threads didn't get moved before this.

Edited by Bad_Daddy

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

I've thought for a while that P&R should be re-titled "Hot Topics." Threads about sex, religion, politics and other topics likely to spur heated debate could all go there, leaving OT for stuff of milder discussion.

I like this idea. That and OT is where threads go to die a slow and painful death.

*** On a side note, the OP's green energy threads rarely if ever spark any debate/discussion...he doesn't even debate his own green energy topics. They are like reading something out of Popular Mechanics and they usually make page 2 of P&R by the end of the day if not sooner.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I've thought for a while that P&R should be re-titled "Hot Topics." Threads about sex, religion, politics and other topics likely to spur heated debate could all go there, leaving OT for stuff of milder discussion.

Excellent idea! What do you say, Captain? Rename P&R, 'Hot Topic' and then tell the Organizers and Moderators to stop moving threads out of there except when it's an obvious case of accidentally posting in the wrong forum. Topics that don't get discussed, quickly move off the first page, which is how it worked back when it was just Off Topic. That way, there doesn't need to be any debate or controversy in determining what IS or ISN'T a hot topic. It keeps the discussions and topics fluid and will reinvigorate the participation.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

An inclusion of "hot topics" in some way in the P/R forum may be a good idea (as a member, I don't particularly want to see half naked women- or men! in Off Topic).

In terms of stopping organisers or mods moving threads out of P/R, it would help if the OP clarifies in the topic why they think the topic belongs there. I don't mean a "Mods, please leave in P/R" subtitle, but actually start a debate- don't just post an article, which by itself could be perfectly innocent (Mrs Obama's clothing choices- could be Off Topic fashion), but after the article, either in the same post or as a first reply, give us your opinion and imply by your writing why this is a P/R topic (Mrs Obama uses x amount of tax payer money for fashion from foreign rather than American designers/ when poor people go without winter clothes/ when the administration cuts heating bill assistance for poor working families etc).

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

An inclusion of "hot topics" in some way in the P/R forum may be a good idea (as a member, I don't particularly want to see half naked women- or men! in Off Topic).

In terms of stopping organisers or mods moving threads out of P/R, it would help if the OP clarifies in the topic why they think the topic belongs there. I don't mean a "Mods, please leave in P/R" subtitle, but actually start a debate- don't just post an article, which by itself could be perfectly innocent (Mrs Obama's clothing choices- could be Off Topic fashion), but after the article, either in the same post or as a first reply, give us your opinion and imply by your writing why this is a P/R topic (Mrs Obama uses x amount of tax payer money for fashion from foreign rather than American designers/ when poor people go without winter clothes/ when the administration cuts heating bill assistance for poor working families etc).

The original idea was to separate the threads that tended to dominate Off Topic, squeezing out the more innocuous threads and thereby alienating VJ'ers who didn't like the cconstant arguing. But just like the reasoning behind the creation of the regional subforums, this well intentioned solution brought more division than harmony. Even trying to validate or legitimize why we post a tread that is in a forum that really serves no function other than for enjoyment is silly.

After giving it some thought, it should be called Hot Topic/Current Events and then Mods/Organizers could focus their energies on more important issues than worrying about whether a thread belongs there or not.

Edited by Lincolns mullet

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Official guidance:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/258345-forum-organizational-guide-when-topics-or-posts-may-be-moved/

Should be followed by all folks. If mods/orgs/me are not following it then please politely remind us. Hopefully we can be as consistent as possible in moving threads.

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Charles! Great catch !

I say no more forum / sub-forum creation till this topic gets over 417 replies - just like the old one from 2010.

Tempus Fugit !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !