aliciafoster

a few questions regarding i-130 and or g-325a

12 posts in this topic

for the form i-130 and or g-325a, when it asks the family name of my spouse, and since we were just married 12/21/2012, do I use my last name as her family name or her fathers last name?

we were married in Dominican republic and now I am back home in the US and we are ready to send out the forms.

I have the i-130

the g-325a one for me and one for her

the marriage vert (also translated to english)

my divorce decree

my passport and birth cert

her 2x2 passport style picture

do I need a copy of her passport?

I will send a cover letter with all the above. anything else I need to send please let me know thanks.

January 17th I-130 Documents arrived Chicago Lockbox

January 22nd - Receipt

March 12th - Approved!!!! (Post Decision Activity) mailed me instructions today!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Topic has been moved from K-1 Fiancee Visa forum to IR-1/CR-1 Spouse Visa forum as OP is married

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Topic has been moved from K-1 Fiancee Visa forum to IR-1/CR-1 Spouse Visa forum as OP is married

Use her legal surname as it was the day before you were married. If that was her father's name, use that. (The reason I draw the distinction is that I was still going by the last name of my former husband when I married last year, and that was my legal surname.)

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

28 Jun 2013: POE Houston

08 Jul 2013: SSN received (at SSA office)

07 Aug 2013: Green Card received

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

29 Apr 2014: POE Dublin through Heathrow

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For my FULL timeline, see my "About Me" page.

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

No

yes a copy of her passport

WRONG, a copy of the beneficiary's passport is not needed when filing the I-130.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

yes a copy of her passport.and G-1145.form put it on the very top of your file

Thanks!

January 17th I-130 Documents arrived Chicago Lockbox

January 22nd - Receipt

March 12th - Approved!!!! (Post Decision Activity) mailed me instructions today!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

for the form i-130 and or g-325a, when it asks the family name of my spouse, and since we were just married 12/21/2012, do I use my last name as her family name or her fathers last name?

we were married in Dominican republic and now I am back home in the US and we are ready to send out the forms.

I have the i-130

my divorce decree

I will send a cover letter with all the above. anything else I need to send please let me know thanks.

You dont need a copy of her passport as stated previously, as for the name to use, for my case i found that using the name as it appears on your spouses passport helps avoid issues with medical exams etc when asked for identification. attched is what i used.

Assembling the I-130 Package: Checklist

Forms and Documents (follow these assembly instructions. All supporting documents must be in English or be translated as noted here.):

Payment as required by USCIS. Use a money order so you can track the payment. If a personal check is allowed, use that instead.

Cover Letter. Should include a description of what your are petitioning for (I-130), a table of contents (list everything in the packet). If you need additional room to explain your case, attach a separate sheet (list the attachment on the cover sheet). Make sure to sign and date the cover sheet.

Form I-130: Petition for Alien Relative

Copy of the Full Birth certificate (front and back) for the US Citizen or a copy of ALL pages of the US Citizen's passport. This is used to establish citizenship.

A copy of petitioner's proof of naturalization. (If applicable)

A copy of petitioner's proof of permanent residency. (If applicable)

A copy of the intending immigrant's birth certificate and/or passport along with English translation. (If in any language other than English)

A certified copy of your certified marriage certificate (again, translated if not in Engligh)

A certified official copy of the petitioner's and/or intending immigrant's divorce documents. (If one or both of you have been divorced before)

A copy of a prior spouse's death certificate. (If filing for a spouse, and one or both have you were married before, and the prior spouse died)

G-325A filled out by the US Citizen, signed and dated.

One passport-type photo (see specification) of the US Citizen. Write the full name on the back. Place in a plastic bag and label the bag "Photo of <Insert Name>". Attach the bag to a sheet of paper and place behind the corresponding G-325a.

G-325A filled out by the foreign spouse signed and dated.

One passport-type photo (see specification) of the foreign spouse. Write the full name of the beneficiary on the back. Place in a plastic bag and label the bag "Photo of (insert name) ". Attach the bag to a sheet of paper and place behind the corresponding G-325a.

Evidence of a bonafide marriage (see note below for what to include)

Note: Evidence of a bona fide Marriage

The USCIS now requires that when filing an I-130 for a spouse that you include evidence of a bona fide marriage. They list examples of acceptable evidence as:

Documentation showing joint ownership or property; or

A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence; or

Documentation showing co-mingling of financialresources; or

Birth certificate(s) of child(ren) born to you, thepetitioner, and your spouse together; or

Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties havingpersonal knowledge of the bona fides of the maritalrelationship (Each affidavit must contain the full nameand address, date and place of birth of the person making the affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner ofbeneficiary, if any, and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or herknowledge of your marriage); or

Any other relevant documentation to establish that thereis an ongoing marital union.

Marriage (if applicable):2010-12-18

I-130 Sent : 2011-10-12

I-130 NOA1 : 2011-10-18

I-130 RFE : N/A

I-130 RFE Sent : N/A

I-130 Approved : 2012-04-02

NVC

04/23/2012 - NVC Received

05/03/2012 - Case# generated

05/04/2012 - DS-3032 (COA) ( Email sent

05/07/2012 - I-864 - AOS Fee $88*2

05/09/2012 - DS-230 - IV Fee $230*2

06/15/2012 - Case Completed

07/06/2012 - Forwarded to the Consulate

Consulate

08/13/2012 - Medical

08/15/2012 - Interview

01/23/2013 - POE

02/19/2013 - 10 yr green card received

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I have the i-130

my divorce decree

Enter the name she intends to be her legal name on the day of the interview, including it being the name on her passport that day.

You need a passport photo of you and some relationship evidence. If she's been divorced, a divorce decree for her as well.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have the i-130

my divorce decree

If she plans to change her name to yours, then put yours and get into the process of getting that done.

It asks in another question for other previous names which will include her maiden name and will avoid any confusion

You do not NEED a copy of her passport, however, I found that supplying a copy of my husband's passport was evidence of our relationship since it had all of the stamps in it when visiting me.

You have not mentioned supplying evidence of your relationship which you will also need to provide.

YOU also need the passport style pictures on your G-325.

oldlady.gif

Timeline

If she plans to change her name to yours, then put yours and get into the process of getting that done.

It asks in another question for other previous names which will include her maiden name and will avoid any confusion

You do not NEED a copy of her passport, however, I found that supplying a copy of my husband's passport was evidence of our relationship since it had all of the stamps in it when visiting me.

You have not mentioned supplying evidence of your relationship which you will also need to provide.

YOU also need the passport style pictures on your G-325.

They each need a passport style photo but those are submitted in support of the I-130 and have NOTHING to do with the G325a.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

They each need a passport style photo but those are submitted in support of the I-130 and have NOTHING to do with the G325a.

I didn't say what it was in support of, I just said what it was attached to per this:

One passport-type photo (see specification) of the foreign spouse. Write the full name of the beneficiary on the back. Place in a plastic bag and label the bag "Photo of (insert name) ". Attach the bag to a sheet of paper and place behind the corresponding G-325a.

oldlady.gif

Timeline

I didn't say what it was in support of, I just said what it was attached to per this:

The instruction you quoted does not correspond to what you wrote. Placing the sheet of paper with the baggie attached "behind" the G325a forms is only a logical order. It's logical because it's the order the supporting documents are mentioned in the I-130 instructions. It does not indicate ANY connection between the photos and the G325a and there is no actual requirement to put things in any particular order.

Please read what you actually wrote before you respond about what you wrote.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.