george89lol

Plan Goes Into Motion **TOMORROW** - NERVOUS. NEED HELP!

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey everyone,

I posted a thread here a few days ago but it didn't get much attention, but things are really down to the wire now so I think we just need someone who has been through this already to ease our fears about it and tell us we're doing the right thing!

We will be living here in Chicago, Illinois, while she is from Vancouver, Canada. She is currently living with me in Chicago on the 6-month visitor Visa, but we are buying her plane ticket TONIGHT to head back to Vancouver so we can start filing papers. We've done extensive research, and we are still second-guessing ourselves! As is stands, this is our current gameplan:

1. She leaves Chicago on January 29th

2. I file the spouse application immediately afterward.

3. Once the application is approved, she files her application from Vancouver.

4. So on and so forth.

Our starting process is rock-solid, right? For the smoothest/shortest process, we should both be in our own respective countries when filing our applications, correct? Additionally, is it okay for me to visit HER while this is going on? Additionally, is it okay for her to visit ME while the process is going on? We want this to be as short, painless, and smooth as possible, but obviously we're ready to ride it out no matter how long it takes. Obviously being able to visit each other would be a blessing, though!

Would REALLY appreciate any insight on this, please let us know! Thanks again.

- George And Lisa

If you're already married, then you may want to post this in the spousal petition/visa forum instead of the fiancé petition/visa forum. That may be why you didn't receive any responses. :unsure:

Hey everyone,

I posted a thread here a few days ago but it didn't get much attention, but things are really down to the wire now so I think we just need someone who has been through this already to ease our fears about it and tell us we're doing the right thing!

We will be living here in Chicago, Illinois, while she is from Vancouver, Canada. She is currently living with me in Chicago on the 6-month visitor Visa, but we are buying her plane ticket TONIGHT to head back to Vancouver so we can start filing papers. We've done extensive research, and we are still second-guessing ourselves! As is stands, this is our current gameplan:

4. So on and so forth.

Our starting process is rock-solid, right? For the smoothest/shortest process, we should both be in our own respective countries when filing our applications, correct? Additionally, is it okay for me to visit HER while this is going on? Additionally, is it okay for her to visit ME while the process is going on? We want this to be as short, painless, and smooth as possible, but obviously we're ready to ride it out no matter how long it takes. Obviously being able to visit each other would be a blessing, though!

- George And Lisa

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

We are not already married - filing for fiance visa, sorry!

You can file the petition while she still in the U.S. rather than waiting until after she leaves. Since she'll need to provide you with a passport-sized photo, a signed letter of intent and G-325A, it would be easier to have her there with you. Be sure to read the VJ K-1 guide: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=k1guide

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)

Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You can file the petition while she still in the U.S. rather than waiting until after she leaves. Since she'll need to provide you with a passport-sized photo, a signed letter of intent and G-325A, it would be easier to have her there with you. Be sure to read the VJ K-1 guide: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=k1guide

Better yet, she can get married while she is in the US as a visitor. I did. I didn't need a visa for it. If she's already in the US and would stay if she were married. Once married you can file the I-130 and apply for adjustment of status.

But if she's going back anyways, it won't make a difference.

Edited by bsd058

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

Hello George and Lisa, from a fellow Canadian...

I filed my Fiance K1-Visa from Vancouver, BC Canada. And just filed my AOS (Adjustment of Status), from here in Maui, HAWAII.

As 'LeftCoastLady' previously stated, have a look at the VISA Journey Guides. This will 'guide' you through the K1 process.

The K1-Guide-Vancouver/ is another guide to follow, since your fiance will be filing from Vancouver.

You two can totally visit each other. Do a search on this site regarding "Visiting during the K1 process". You'll read lots of stories about couples that have gone through this.

Good luck, & Happy Journey

XYlOm10.pngGSPYm10.png
AOS: 2012-12-28
NOA's x 2: 2012-01-04
Bio App: 2012-02-05 (Honolulu, HAWAII)
Upcoming AOS Interview (March 21) RESCHEDULED between March 28 - June 6
EAD/AP combo card: 2013-03-15
AOS interview: APRIL 16th approved
Green Card: April 25th 2013 - 2015

ROC: 2015-Jan-20
NOA: 2015-Jan-27

BIO Appt: 2015-Feb-24

Approved: 2015-May-26

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

fiance visa? spouse visa?

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Coming Soon...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hey everyone,

4. So on and so forth.

- George And Lisa

-You guys should definitly take advantage of the fact you are together and file the petition together. That way you can have all the forms pictures and everything without waiting to have it by mail, and most importantly you can both proof read the file and support each other. My filing was a nightmare and I was really happy my fiancé and I did it together while I was visiting him in the US.

-I don't think she needs her plane ticket in order for you to file (not sure though). What is important is that she doesn't overstay her visa.

- You shouldn't wait to send the petition. The process is long, if I had known how long, I would have applied at least 1 month before we did (we were engaged, we just kept it for us for a while, I didn't want to file before my parents knewheadbonk.gif)

Good luck in your visa journey!

From the day we sent I-129F to the day I recieved my K-1: Exactly 9 months
I am the benifeciary

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Better yet, she can get married while she is in the US as a visitor. I did. I didn't need a visa for it. If she's already in the US and would stay if she were married. Once married you can file the I-130 and apply for adjustment of status.

But if she's going back anyways, it won't make a difference.

She actually have a visa? Or is she on a waiver?

Maybe I am totally offtopic45vn.gif but better safe than sorry right? If they do what you suggest they don't have higher chances of being denied? And can they appeal the decision if they are denied the AOS? (You are probably right, I am really no expert on this since I really didn't have a choice and went for the K1 directly)

Good luck in your visa journey!

From the day we sent I-129F to the day I recieved my K-1: Exactly 9 months
I am the benifeciary

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Understand that you meant the K-1 petition, she can be here for that. File tomorrow.

Research and begin to use the proper nomenclature. She'll send to the Embassy the documents required for the interview. Understand that will be many months from now AND she may not be able to return to the US to visit during this time.

4. So on and so forth.

Our starting process is rock-solid, right?

Yep

For the smoothest/shortest process, we should both be in our own respective countries when filing our applications, correct?

No, no need for that. Nothing anyone can go to quicken the process unless you join the military and get sent to the front lines.

Additionally, is it okay for me to visit HER while this is going on?

Sure, USCs can go wherever they can.

Additionally, is it okay for her to visit ME while the process is going on?

Maybe yes and maybe no. Plan for NO.

We want this to be as short, painless, and smooth as possible, but obviously we're ready to ride it out no matter how long it takes. Obviously being able to visit each other would be a blessing, though!

It's gonna take what is normally will take. Submitting all the proper paperwork and having good evidence helps.

- George And Lisa

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Timeline

As the others said, you don't need to be in your respective countries to file. And as BSD mentioned, you also have the option to marry now and just adjust status.

She is not "living" with you now. She is visiting. The correct use of terms is extremely important when dealing with CBP and USCIS.

Yes, you can visit her and she can visit you. Just make sure you have return tickets and/or proof of ties to your home countries.

She actually have a visa? Or is she on a waiver?

Maybe I am totally offtopic45vn.gif but better safe than sorry right? If they do what you suggest they don't have higher chances of being denied? And can they appeal the decision if they are denied the AOS? (You are probably right, I am really no expert on this since I really didn't have a choice and went for the K1 directly)

Canadians do not require a visa to enter the US. Since Canada is not part of the VWP, they are free to appeal the decision.

iagree.gif

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks everyone for all the help! One more question -

Our current plan as you all know is to file while I am in Chicago and she files in Vancouver, as opposed to getting legally married here and filing the proper papers so we never have to be separated. From what I understand, the process we have chosen is typically much shorter than the getting-married-here-and-filing-papers-after route, correct? The first line of action is more ideal for us because it allows her to work in Vancouver while we wait, as opposed to not being able to work for ~who knows how long while waiting for the files to be approved.

Is everything I'm presenting factual? Thanks again everyone!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.