Feiticera1

K1 Visa - Getting married before the visa comes through

32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi All,

My fiance and I submitted our initial K1 petition before the Christmas break. I am the sponsor, UK nationality so going via the US embassy in London. Although we are early in the process we are trying to plan our wedding later in the year (end of August) and had a question about a possible problems that we thought we should check.

1. If we arrange the wedding for August but dont have the Visa in time, can we go ahead with our plans, me fly in, get married in the US and then I would have to leave presumably. Would we need to advise them we had got married during the process and would there be a problem coming into the country without a Visa yet in order to get married whilst still in the process to obtain one.

Not sure if there is any other complications we might not have considered yet, although I am trying to look through the vast quantities of info to cover everything, so any advice welcome.

Many thanks and best of luck to all other December applicants (and everyone else) out there :)

Owen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

In my opinion, by the FIANCEE VISA and MARRIAGE VISA being a little different, I would not set a date just yet. Give you K-1 Visa time to process so you won’t have any grey areas in your visa journey. I wish you the best.

Timeline

Ah i see. The thing is we kinda wanted the ceremony in August whilst its still nice rather than later, and also for various other reasons such as people being able to attend in that month but not later in the year. On top of that it doesnt give you very much time to plan, and also once we finally get this thing we want me to get over there asap! Not another wait whilst wedding planning, since being together is paramount..

So our idea was maybe just to not do the legal bit if we dont have the Visa in time, but keep the rest of the plans in place and do the legal part once we have the Visa, obviously I would have to return to the UK till we had the visa too.

Ah i see. The thing is we kinda wanted the ceremony in August whilst its still nice rather than later, and also for various other reasons such as people being able to attend in that month but not later in the year. On top of that it doesnt give you very much time to plan, and also once we finally get this thing we want me to get over there asap! Not another wait whilst wedding planning, since being together is paramount..

So our idea was maybe just to not do the legal bit if we dont have the Visa in time, but keep the rest of the plans in place and do the legal part once we have the Visa, obviously I would have to return to the UK till we had the visa too.

The K-1 visa is typically valid for six months and then you have 90 days from entry into the U.S. to marry. That's plenty of time to plan...after you have the visa in your hands. If you want to get married on a specific day/timeframe, then scrap the I-129F fiancé petition/K-1 visa and go with the I-130 spousal petition/CR-1 visa after you're married.

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Just a thought..... If you get married (even just a ceremony without legalities) you would have to (technically speaking) lie about it during your interview. Lying to USCIS in any form is not recommended at all and the interview will be stressful enough without the added worry about a lie. I may be wrong, but this is my opinion. Sveta and I wanted a autumn wedding and we were just as pleased with a Christmas wedding. August is POSSIBLE. Best of luck!

Edited for a missed word:

Edited by Jamie and Sveta

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi All,

My fiance and I submitted our initial K1 petition before the Christmas break. I am the sponsor, UK nationality so going via the US embassy in London. Although we are early in the process we are trying to plan our wedding later in the year (end of August) and had a question about a possible problems that we thought we should check.

1. If we arrange the wedding for August but dont have the Visa in time, can we go ahead with our plans, me fly in, get married in the US and then I would have to leave presumably. Would we need to advise them we had got married during the process and would there be a problem coming into the country without a Visa yet in order to get married whilst still in the process to obtain one.

Not sure if there is any other complications we might not have considered yet, although I am trying to look through the vast quantities of info to cover everything, so any advice welcome.

Many thanks and best of luck to all other December applicants (and everyone else) out there :)

Owen

YES! Absolutely. THEN send a letter withdrawing the I-129f and file an I-130 for a spousal visa, wait about a year and VOILA! you will have a CR-1 visa.

In order to get a FIANCE(E) visa there needs to be a Fiance and a Fiancee. If there is a husband and wife, you cannot get a fiance(e) visa.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

You MUST marry within 90 days of arriving. So if you must plan something then wait until you have the visa in your hand, then make your plans and then come to the USA within 90 days of your wedding. The visa is valid for entry for 6 months + the 90 days whioch gives you up to 9 months to plan ahead...

OR

if being together is most important Come and get married in a civil ceremony and then plan a large wedding for later.

But forget any plans of a "normal" marriage or life. Until you become a citizen your life will be governed to some extent by USCIS. Obviously you are not going to get ALL the things you want using this visa, but that was your choice, so choose what is most important and go that way. The CR-1 would have given you more options on wedding dates but would have taken longer.

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Please don't risk it. Be patient, we all have endored.

Hi All,

Owen

Sounds like you just wasted a lot of money applying for the K-1.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

If you get married before you receive your K1 visa, that nullifies it. You will have to apply for a spousal visa and go through the whole process all over again. I have also read that having an "unofficial" wedding is frowned upon by USCIS.

Unless you are willing to start this whole thing all over again (and pay the price again) I would wait to plan the wedding until you have your visa. We had very little time to plan ours, and very few people were able to attend at such short notice, but it was perfect. We're also planning on renewing our vows on our one year anniversary so that everybody from both sides of the pond can be there. Maybe something like that could work for you guys too?

N-400:

Applied online - 7/4/19 

Receipt notice - 7/4/19

Biometrics - 7/25/19

Interview - 9/13/19

Oath Ceremony - 10/11/19

Timeline

Thanks guys, dont worry we haven't done anything yet except apply for the K-1. We looked into it quite a lot and the most important thing was being together, this and a few other reasons meant the K1 was the way to go. No money wasted! :)

Now i guess there is a chance we might have the Visa in time for August which would be perfect, but I hear ya all saying wait and be patient.

- We will not get married till we have the Visa, that would be madness

- However what would be wrong with arranging the wedding but without the legal bit so its basically just a party, in order to ensure everyone can attend that we want. Then completing the legal element when we have the Visa.

- Ok i see actually two people said USCIS frown on an unofficial wedding for whatever reason so guess maybe not.

Thanks for the help, chill AK2005 we havent wasted anything.

Regards,

Owen

Timeline

Thanks guys, dont worry we haven't done anything yet except apply for the K-1. We looked into it quite a lot and the most important thing was being together, this and a few other reasons meant the K1 was the way to go. No money wasted! :)

Now i guess there is a chance we might have the Visa in time for August which would be perfect, but I hear ya all saying wait and be patient.

- However what would be wrong with arranging the wedding but without the legal bit so its basically just a party, in order to ensure everyone can attend that we want. Then completing the legal element when we have the Visa.

- Ok i see actually two people said USCIS frown on an unofficial wedding for whatever reason so guess maybe not.

Regards,

Owen

1. Good idea

2. If ANY thing makes them think you are married the K-1 will be denied.

3. It is not USCIS you need to worry about, it is the consulate

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Regards,

Owen

owen

What part of this do you not understand? All either of you have to say is that is was a "Wedding party" and its over. Denied.Legal or not. The one photo that "looks" like a reception puts you in the hot seat.I cannot tell you how many people just slip up and say one wrong word and your toast. WAIT UNTIL THE VISA IS IN HAND. You have no idea of the tiniest things that have gone wrong with couples before you. Read Gary's last post.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Totally agree w ALL OF THE ABOVE.

I've read several Embassy Consulate Reviews where the Officer asks the "trick question"---So when did you get married?? Answer that with "Oh--on so and so"-----your chances of receiving K-1 Visa Approval are DONE-OVER-ZERO. Show pictures that look like a wedding reception DITTO. LISTEN TO WHAT THESE FOLKS ARE TELLING YOU. Get this idea of "wedding" before K-1 VISA is in your hand--OUT OF YOUR HEAD PERMANANTLY!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.