Matt_Stevens

What are the exact fees for visas into Vietnam.

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Facts: I am a U.S. Citizen married (born here) to a Vietnamese citizen who lives here with a 10 year green card.

Question: What is the correct cost for a single entry visa into Vietnam for me, obtained through either the Consulate in NYC or the embassy on D.C.?

Situation: I am running into serious trouble with the Vietnamese consulate in NYC. I gave them my passport on December 3rd applying for a Visa Exemption for my new passport. My prior exemption expired with my old U.S. passport.

They told me four weeks max and return Jan 3rd to pick up my passport. We booked our flight for January 25, just in case of delays.

Today is the 7th and when I went to the consulate I waited around for an hour and was finally told that it was not approved. Long story short, after much frustration not understanding the guy, who's English was choppy at best, a much younger man came up to explain it was not approved yet and would I like a single entry visa. Needless to say, I was stunned.

We plan on going to Vietnam twice this year and once next. I need my visa exemption, which allows multi-entry. Furthermore, I am not spending more money on top of the $50 I already spent for my visa exemption,

Two and a 1/4 years ago when I first applied I sent the passport & application to D.C. and it was returned in just two weeks. This time I applied at the consulate and boy oh boy do I think I made a mistake in doing that. Something is rotten here.

Edited by Matt_Stevens

Facts: I am a U.S. Citizen married (born here) to a Vietnamese citizen who lives here with a 10 year green card.

Question: What is the correct cost for a single entry visa into Vietnam for me, obtained through either the Consulate in NYC or the embassy on D.C.?

Situation: I am running into serious trouble with the Vietnamese consulate in NYC. I gave them my passport on December 3rd applying for a Visa Exemption for my new passport. My prior exemption expired with my old U.S. passport.

They told me four weeks max and return Jan 3rd to pick up my passport. We booked our flight for January 25, just in case of delays.

Today is the 7th and when I went to the consulate I waited around for an hour and was finally told that it was not approved. Long story short, after much frustration not understanding the guy, who's English was choppy at best, a much younger man came up to explain it was not approved yet and would I like a single entry visa. Needless to say, I was stunned.

We plan on going to Vietnam twice this year and once next. I need my visa exemption, which allows multi-entry. Furthermore, I am not spending more money on top of the $50 I already spent for my visa exemption,

Two and a 1/4 years ago when I first applied I sent the passport & application to D.C. and it was returned in just two weeks. This time I applied at the consulate and boy oh boy do I think I made a mistake in doing that. Something is rotten here.

I paid around $120 for 10 years visa (unlimited visits) and it takes only 3 weeks via SF Consulate

Matt - Doan and I went in September/October 2012 for 3 weeks. The Vietnamese Embassy in Washington no longer lists the fees so you have to email and request them. Below is the email I received from them last July 2012 when I got mine. I only got a one month single entry ($90 USD).

Not sure about visa exemptions now for US Citizens - I was told not to bother trying since they have been changing the rules to generate more visa income.

Best Wishes - Bernie

HELLO,

THANK YOU FOR WRITING TO THE EMBASSY OF VIETNAM.

THE CONSULAR SECTION OF THE EMBASSY OF VIENAM STRONGLY RECOMMENDS YOU TO HAVE THE VISA BEFORE YOU DEPART FOR VIETNAM.

THE FOLLOWING FEE IS TOTAL FEE:

A. SINGLE ENTRY, ONE-MONTH: $90.00/ EACH PERSON .

B. MULTIPLE ENTRY ONE-MONTH: $140.00/ EACH PERSON

C. MULTIPLE ENTRY THREE MONTH: $170/EACH PERSON

NORMAL PROCESSING TIME: 3-4 WORKING DAYS.

EXPEDITE SERVICE: PLUS $30 (1-2 WORKING DAYS)

THE EMBASSY OF VIETNAM CAN ARRANGE AN APPROVAL FOR A VISA GOOD FOR 3 MONTHS, MULTIPLE ENTRIES AS MAXIMUM.

A VISA GOOD FOR MORE THAN 3 MONTHS CAN ONLY BE ISSUED TO ANY APPLICANT WHO HAS OBTAINED A WORK PERMIT AND A VISA APPROVAL ALREADY.

WHAT TO SUBMIT?

- PASSPORT (YOU CAN SEND A COPY OF YOUR PASSPORT AND ASK FOR A LOOSE-LEAF VISA with 02 photos. For loose leaf visa, please be advised that you will not keep it any more when going out from Vietnam; the immigration department will collect it back AND IF YOU LOOSE THE VISA, YOU NEED TO REAPPLY FOR A NEW VISA AND HAVE TO PAY AGAIN FOR FULL FEE)

- APPLICATION FORM (http://www.vietnamembassy-usa.org/services/visa-application-process).

- 1 PASSPORT-SIZE PICTURE (2X2).

- FEE , PAYABLE TO "EMBASSY OF VIETNAM." APPLICANTS APPLYING TOGETHER MAY SUBMIT THE FEE IN ONE MONEY ORDER.

- A SELF-ADDRESSED POSTAGE-PAID RETURN ENVELOPE. PLEASE USE MAILING SERVICES WHICH PROVIDE TRACKING NUMBERS: OR US EXPRESS MAIL OR CERTIFIED MAIL WITH FULL LABEL OR FEDEX/UPS. (FOR SAFETY REASON).

WHERE TO SUBMIT?

CONSULAR SECTION

EMBASSY OF VIETNAM

1233 20TH STREET, NW

SUITE 400

WASHINGTON, DC 20036

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Not sure about visa exemptions now for US Citizens - I was told not to bother trying since they have been changing the rules to generate more visa income.

Told by whom?

This would not surprise me. The amount i was quoted for a single entry is far more than what you just listed. No doubt some would be skimmed off the top.

Told by whom?

This would not surprise me. The amount i was quoted for a single entry is far more than what you just listed. No doubt some would be skimmed off the top.

Earlier in 2012 I called the Vietnamese Embassy because I could not find anything about the visa exemption or long term visa's for US Citizens married to Vietnamese Citizens on their website. They basically said that the three month multiple entry was the maximum I could get. I gave up researching it. Probably should have asked here if anyone had gotten one recently but time was running short so I just went with the single.

It will probably be 2014 before we go back again so I will give it some time and check into it again later - who knows what may change in the next 1-2 years.

I have gone through the embassy in Washington for all 5 of my visas so far and have not had any problem at all with having them returned in a timely manner (within 2 weeks).

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

i got a visa letter form the internet $20, then did a walk in visa at HCM airport$10 or 15, i am there for 3 month, went to the visa local office to extend $10 for 3 months, I also had marriage papers and letter from local police

just giving you an option

chip

i got a visa letter form the internet $20, then did a walk in visa at HCM airport$10 or 15, i am there for 3 month, went to the visa local office to extend $10 for 3 months, I also had marriage papers and letter from local police

just giving you an option

chip

I'm not sure I follow. What do you mean $ internet letter? How do you get a walkin visa at the airport? I thought you couldn't even board a plane here in the U.S. bound for Saigon without the visa in the passport.

Timeline

I'm not sure I follow. What do you mean $ internet letter? How do you get a walkin visa at the airport? I thought you couldn't even board a plane here in the U.S. bound for Saigon without the visa in the passport.

sorry my bad, it is called a visa on arrival,,,,, first 2 links when i googled it

,http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101203092723AAzebaC

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293921-c148049/Vietnam:Faq.Visa.On.Arrival.Voa.html

there are pros and cons, but i had to wait an extra 10 min at airport to be called i did this last december2011, i was working in iraq, no way i am sending my paasport through the mail while i am in iraq

you send the company 20 bucks and they get a your name along with 10 or 20 people approved for visa on arrival, approved by vietnam consellate. Actually it is just a letter approved by vietnam cosselate with a bunc of names on it, including your own, then at airport you persent your letter at window, wait 5 to 20 min, they call your name you give them 10 bucks and they stamp your visa in passport

Timeline

sorry my bad, it is called a visa on arrival,,,,, first 2 links when i googled it

,http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101203092723AAzebaC

http://www.tripadvis...rrival.Voa.html

there are pros and cons, but i had to wait an extra 10 min at airport to be called i did this last december2011, i was working in iraq, no way i am sending my paasport through the mail while i am in iraq

you send the company 20 bucks and they get a your name along with 10 or 20 people approved for visa on arrival, approved by vietnam consellate. Actually it is just a letter approved by vietnam cosselate with a bunc of names on it, including your own, then at airport you persent your letter at window, wait 5 to 20 min, they call your name you give them 10 bucks and they stamp your visa in passport

it is some kind of connection between vietnam conselate and the internet company,,,just coffee money somewhere

post-97444-0-39571100-1357608806_thumb.jpg

post-97444-0-39571100-1357608806_thumb.jpg

Anyone else (USC) try visa-on-arrival to VN recently? I would be very cautious about attempting this. The official Vietnamese Embassy website advises that this is only issued for peolpe attending to ill family members, attending funeral etc (basically emergencies). We all know that in this realm (VN) that things are not always as they seem or say, things we don't expect can be and things we expect are not so I would be careful. A long way to go to be denied entry.

Also if anyone has any recent feedback on this or visa exemptions or 10 year visas that is current I am sure we are all interested.

As usual when dealing with VN there can be extreme inconsistency.

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

Timeline

If there is a Vietnamese neighborhood/shopping center in NYC there is likely a travel agent that can get the visa for you without any hassles.

Show Timeline:

Apr 2009 - We first met. Fear at first sight!
Apr 2009 - First date--actually to bernie c's wedding no less!
Aug 2009 - promise ring
Nov 2009 - moved in together
Mar 2010 - pregnant!
May 2010 - engagement
Jun 2010 - wedding
Dec 2010 - its a girl!
Dec 2010 - signed marriage cert
May 2012 - got CRBA and passport for baby
06-16-2012 - I-130 Package sent for CR1 spousal visa
06-26-2012 - NOA-1 -> CSC
10-04-2012 - NOA-2
10-23-2012 - Paid AOS / Emailed DS-3032
11-08-2012 - Paid IV
11-21-2012 - Mailed AOS/IV packets
12-12-2012 - Received Checklist for Police Certificate (missing translation)
12-12-2012 - Mailed Translated PC
12-21-2012 - Case Completed at NVC. Qualified for IR1 visa
03-19-2013 - Interview

06-21-2012 - USCIS received I130 from abroad
10-04-2012 - NOA-2
12-21-2012 - Case Completed at NVC
03-19-2013 - Interview - Passed!

04-04-2013 - POE LAX 2 hour wait My parents picked us up!

04-16-2013 - Received green card

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Post made by banned member puppet account removed

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

If there is a Vietnamese neighborhood/shopping center in NYC there is likely a travel agent that can get the visa for you without any hassles.

Anyone can get a regular single entry visa. What I want and should have no problem getting is a 5 year visa exemption. That would allow me multiple 90 day entries over five years as I am married to a Vietnamese citizen.

Timeline

Anyone can get a regular single entry visa. What I want and should have no problem getting is a 5 year visa exemption. That would allow me multiple 90 day entries over five years as I am married to a Vietnamese citizen.

They should be able to help you get that as well.

Show Timeline:

Apr 2009 - We first met. Fear at first sight!
Apr 2009 - First date--actually to bernie c's wedding no less!
Aug 2009 - promise ring
Nov 2009 - moved in together
Mar 2010 - pregnant!
May 2010 - engagement
Jun 2010 - wedding
Dec 2010 - its a girl!
Dec 2010 - signed marriage cert
May 2012 - got CRBA and passport for baby
06-16-2012 - I-130 Package sent for CR1 spousal visa
10-04-2012 - NOA-2
10-23-2012 - Paid AOS / Emailed DS-3032
11-08-2012 - Paid IV
11-21-2012 - Mailed AOS/IV packets
12-12-2012 - Received Checklist for Police Certificate (missing translation)
12-12-2012 - Mailed Translated PC
12-21-2012 - Case Completed at NVC. Qualified for IR1 visa
03-19-2013 - Interview

06-21-2012 - USCIS received I130 from abroad
10-04-2012 - NOA-2
12-21-2012 - Case Completed at NVC
03-19-2013 - Interview - Passed!

04-04-2013 - POE LAX 2 hour wait My parents picked us up!

04-16-2013 - Received green card

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.