Izu&Abbey

POE items to declare

12 posts in this topic

So my interview date finally arrived on the 2nd of January after like forever :clock: , I got approved! :dance: . Encountered the Window 1 lady & she was no different from described until she got into a coughing fit & I offered her some lozenges as I had cough/sore throat too, after that she was suddenly chatty. Got interviewed by the nice Asian guy as well... (I'll write a full review in the reviews section)

I'm off to the US this Saturday (got a text my passport will be delivered tomorrow morning,yay!!!). It's packing time, & I know I've seen it somewhere before but can't seem to locate it, so I'm looking for help/advice on what I should or should not declare at the POE? And also what I can check in or carry in my hand luggage? Outside of 3 personal use smartphones & a tablet which I don't think I need to declare, do I need to declare other personal valuables like watches, sunglasses, bags, jewelry etc? I have quite a few of them designer items (no I'm not vain, they're mostly gifts & work-related perks, really! :innocent: ). They don't have tags though still in their casings. Also can I carry all in my hand luggage or should I spread them out?

Thanks for any advice i can get.

Filed: Other Timeline

So my interview date finally arrived on the 2nd of January after like forever :clock: , I got approved! :dance: . Encountered the Window 1 lady & she was no different from described until she got into a coughing fit & I offered her some lozenges as I had cough/sore throat too, after that she was suddenly chatty. Got interviewed by the nice Asian guy as well... (I'll write a full review in the reviews section)

I'm off to the US this Saturday (got a text my passport will be delivered tomorrow morning,yay!!!). It's packing time, & I know I've seen it somewhere before but can't seem to locate it, so I'm looking for help/advice on what I should or should not declare at the POE? And also what I can check in or carry in my hand luggage? Outside of 3 personal use smartphones & a tablet which I don't think I need to declare, do I need to declare other personal valuables like watches, sunglasses, bags, jewelry etc? I have quite a few of them designer items (no I'm not vain, they're mostly gifts & work-related perks, really! :innocent: ). They don't have tags though still in their casings. Also can I carry all in my hand luggage or should I spread them out?

You are free to take sunglasses and personal effects, remember anything liquid to be put in checked luggage, deodarant, perfumes, body spray, toothpaste etc and depending on what airline U are allowed 50LBs luggage

any meds you have carry priscrption with it, dont wear complicated shoe to take off at airport...enjoy your trip

I believe you have to declare to the custom if the items + money you bring with you worth over $10000

You are immigrating and all your personal goods are duty free. They are supposed to items used by you more than one year which is why tags and packaging could make it look new. They arent going to be that strict unless you have dozens of "new" ipads, phones, cameras, electronics and are flying from Japan. They have a rule in place they can enforce if you look like you are importimg to sell.

If you don't want it stolen, then put in hand luggage. You do not have to itemize your personal items or list a value. If you are bringing a gift or duty free shop purchases, then list those. You get $100 worth of new purchases/gifts.

If you have in excess of $10,000 worth of CASH in your wallet, then you have to tell them. They don't charge you any fee, they just want a record of it in case you are a drug dealer, funding terrorism, laundering money or such. They have evidence of when you brought that money into the country. I personally don't know anybody who would carry that much cash. People quote that bit wrong all the time. It is not the value of your personal items. It is money or maybe gold boullion that requires reporting when it exceeds $10k. It's part of the Patriot Act passed after 911.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

I can't add anything other then Im really pleased for you!!!! Must be awesome to know you're about to get your life back and have a clue on dates!!!!

Good luck and be happy :dance: :dance:

event.png"]My link[/url]

[/url]"]My link[/url]ur[l=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

event.png

[/url]

thanks all for the help and clarification, It's really a relief!was already having nightmares about where to start with the declaring stuff, but nice to know I'm all good. I don't know what I'll do without you guys,thanks!

And Nich-Nick thanks for the hand luggage tip too,I had already put stuff in my check in luggage, thanks for the early warning :)

I can't add anything other then Im really pleased for you!!!! Must be awesome to know you're about to get your life back and have a clue on dates!!!!

Good luck and be happy :dance: :dance:

Awww thanks a lot Lynndy38 :D . Yes it's the most amazing feeling, Saturday can't come fast enough! All the best to you too & I hope yours comes through in no time as well. (F)

Congrats on your approval! Everything has already been covered by the previous posters but just want to add my own experience in case you will have food etc. I didnt have anything other than clothes and my (very old!) laptop so nothing to declare. I did have quite a few snacks etc which i had for my daughter. I asked them whether i needed to declare it or not and i never really got a clear answer so when i was going past the "anything to declare" section, i double checked with them and they said it is fine, i dont need to declare it. So anything like that, its best to ask twice than get caught!

CR-1
07-01-2011 : Married

05-10-2012 : I-130 Mailed to London (DCF)
05-11-2012 : I-130 Delivered and signed for at Embassy
05-18-2012 : NOA1 Email
07-26-2012 : NOA2 (69 days)
07-28-2012 : NOA2 hard copy received
08-10-2012 : LND Case number received. Letter dated 08-07-2012
08-15-2012 : DS-230 and DS-2001 mailed to Embassy
08-23-2012 : Medical
09-14-2012 : Emailed Embassy and confirmed DS forms have finally been logged (After 29 days)
09-22-2012 : Interview letter received. Dated September 19th.
10-03-2012 : Interview - Approved!
NOA1 to Interview - 138 days.
10-10-2012 : Passport with Visa delivered two hours late at 8pm.
10-22-2012 : POE Philadelphia
11-15-2012 : Green Card received in mail
12-11-2012 : Went to the Social Security office to apply for SSN after it did not arrive.
12-15-2012 : SSN Arrived in 4 days.

05-09-2013 : Left USC Husband.
11-28-2013: Filed for divorce.

05-01-2014: Divorced

05-08-2014: Sent I-751 petition to VSC

05-13-2014: NOA1 (was not postmarked until 5/22/14 and received on 5/24/14)
06-18-2014: Biometrics in St. Albans, VT

11-21-2014: RFE. Received on 11/24/14.

01-22-2015: Interview notice mailed out. Received 1/26/15

02-12-2015: Interview in St Albans, VT - Approved during interview!

CRBA
08-16-2012 : CRBA in London for our daughter - Approved!
09-11-2012 : CRBA and Passport arrived.
09-25-2012 : SSN Arrived. Mailed from MD on 09-17-2012

Congrats on your approval! Everything has already been covered by the previous posters but just want to add my own experience in case you will have food etc. I didnt have anything other than clothes and my (very old!) laptop so nothing to declare. I did have quite a few snacks etc which i had for my daughter. I asked them whether i needed to declare it or not and i never really got a clear answer so when i was going past the "anything to declare" section, i double checked with them and they said it is fine, i dont need to declare it. So anything like that, its best to ask twice than get caught!

Thanks for the pointer Holly, I do have my chocolates that'll last me till find somewhere locally in my new area, I'll definitely ask them about that :)

I'm off to the airport! :dance:

Good luck! Aldi do British recipe chocolate for $1.49 a bar. Literally cant beat it! They also have British cheese and loads of other things you want but cant find.

Enjoy your flight and i hope your POE is easy. Update us on how it went!

CR-1

09-14-2012 : Emailed Embassy and confirmed DS forms have finally been logged (After 29 days)
12-11-2012 : Went to the Social Security office to apply for SSN after it did not arrive.

CRBA

Thanks for the Aldi scoop! We took a drive to the nearest one here on Monday & found lots of stuff, but not my Maltesers <_< . Hopefully I'll find it before I run out (I'm addicted)

I flew into Newark - Liberty Intl (EWR) Saturday evening, my whole POE experience was smooth and straightforward, submitted my brown envelope and got handed over to another Officer who took me to a back office (and commented that it'd been a while he got one of my case type)... a lady opened the envelope & typed in information on her computer, then called me up and just asked when we would be getting married, after which she handed my passport back & said I was good to go, took less than 20 minutes; picked my luggage & though I'd ticked 'yes' to carrying food, the Customs Officer simply asked what I was carrying and after I told him, he just stamped the form and waved me through, I was already gearing up to be searched (guess he got scared of my pile of suitcases that may have taken him the rest of the night to search through :D ). Overall, I think it took me just under an hour from coming down the plane to feeling the warmth of my fiance's embrace once again :dancing:

Glad to hear it went smoothly :) Try Whoppers (i think thats what theyre called) they are like Malteasers. Theyre nowhere near as good but they are the same concept, you might like them!

CR-1

CRBA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.