jessielinder

i 751 evidence - Are these strong enough?

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

The reason why I filed married/separately because my wife is 25 and still claimed by her mom as "dependent" so if I file jointly it would conflict with her mom's taxes. Therefore, filing married/separately was the best option at the time.

Day 0 (Mon, 1/23/12) Package mailed

Day 12 (2/4/12) Hardcopy received in mail for Biometrics Appointment due on 2/27/12

Day 14 (2/6/12) Walk-in biometrics done

Day 47 (3/9/12) Hardcopy received in mail interview letter date April, 10 2012 @ 3:15PM

Day 73 (4/4/12) Received EAD

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

The reason why I filed married/separately because my wife is 25 and still claimed by her mom as "dependent" so if I file jointly it would conflict with her mom's taxes. Therefore, filing married/separately was the best option at the time.

It can make sense in some cases.

She should still submit the tax forms even if they filed as married/separate.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

It can make sense in some cases.

She should still submit the tax forms even if they filed as married/separate.

Thank you. But, what I submitted are already submitted.

Can i submit additional documents now or wait until they ask for more evidence or call for interview?

Here's a topic about filing married/separately...

From the looks of it, it seems that as long as it shows you filed as married whether joint/separate shouldn't matter since all they care about is that your married.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/321990-i751-and-taxes-filed-married-separately/

Day 12 (2/4/12) Hardcopy received in mail for Biometrics Appointment due on 2/27/12

Day 47 (3/9/12) Hardcopy received in mail interview letter date April, 10 2012 @ 3:15PM

I still haven't seen anywhere online through my researches and heard of anyone getting denied/RFE for sending a tax transcript filing married/separately. Logically, it is safer than not filing at all or claiming single or head of household.

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

I still haven't seen anywhere online through my researches and heard of anyone getting denied/RFE for sending a tax transcript filing married/separately. Logically, it is safer than not filing at all or claiming single or head of household.

I think you are kinda obsessing now :D There is nothing "wrong" with filing married/separate - that's not what I said. It makes sense for some people. However, filing married/jointly can show more "mingling of finances." But there are also alternate ways to show mingling of finances. It's all about the total picture - and a joint tax return is a good piece of evidence. That doesn't mean there aren't any alternate good pieces of evidence.

Definitely the tax forms should be filed as "married" if you're married - no matter if you decide to file separately or jointly. That's the law. And definitely, married-but-separate tax forms should show the same address (at least for this specific issue of adjusting status which we are discussing in this thread.)

Edited by wife_of_mahmoud

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Timeline

I think you are kinda obsessing now :D There is nothing "wrong" with filing married/separate - that's not what I said. It makes sense for some people. However, filing married/jointly can show more "mingling of finances." But there are also alternate ways to show mingling of finances. It's all about the total picture - and a joint tax return is a good piece of evidence. That doesn't mean there aren't any alternate good pieces of evidence.

Definitely the tax forms should be filed as "married" if you're married - no matter if you decide to file separately or jointly. That's the law. And definitely, married-but-separate tax forms should show the same address (at least for this specific issue of adjusting status which we are discussing in this thread.)

This brings up another concern for me:

Our address are different on our tax forms, his address has always been his parents' house and the only official address of my husband. I lived there with my husband and his family for a while back in 2011, and I have some documents showing his parents' address too.

But, ever since we moved out, he did not really change his address to our apt. because we still go to his parents 3 to 4 times.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thank you, I was so new to this tax filing process. I am definitely going thru this process with a professional this year.

I have already submitted all the documents I listed in December, and had my biometric done last week.

Just waiting for USCIS's decision or interview notice, and losing sleep and appetite over this.

I will ask my mother in law to write an affidavit if we are called for an interview and bring it.

Thank you again.

I would suggest seeing a tax pro NOW about getting your taxes re-assessed. I would bet that if you were unemployed for that time period that and your husband would actually get a much better refund.

For ROC purposes though it should have the same address on your returns, that's proof you live together, even if it's married-separate.

What about state ID or drivers licenses showing the same address?

With joint accounts etc that you haven't saved, consider contacted the agencies where you're missing documents from and asking them to send them to you.

I also sent FB print-outs of photos with people comments (showing friends know we're together etc).

Have you been to the doctor or dentist? If so you might have a bill like mine that lists my husband as the "insured" and myself as the patient so that shows me using the insurance. If you don't have a copy but you did use the services, contact your insurer. The document is usually called "Explanation of benefits" so ask them about those.

If you get an RFE consider asking friends/family members to write some affidavits. Talk to them now about it so that when you ask they can do it quick.

What you have looks good but you've mentioned a lot of your stuff is new so try and get some more stuff from your marriage and onwards. Also keep collecting stuff in case you want to file citizenship in a year :)

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

This brings up another concern for me:

Our address are different on our tax forms, his address has always been his parents' house and the only official address of my husband. I lived there with my husband and his family for a while back in 2011, and I have some documents showing his parents' address too.

But, ever since we moved out, he did not really change his address to our apt. because we still go to his parents 3 to 4 times.

Tax forms? Are you talking his w2's?

When you married in 2010 you would have filed your 2010 taxes as married (you did right?) what was your/his address? What about 2011? Your 2012 probably hasn't been filed yet so you could have the same address on that one.

Timeline

I would suggest seeing a tax pro NOW about getting your taxes re-assessed. I would bet that if you were unemployed for that time period that and your husband would actually get a much better refund.

For ROC purposes though it should have the same address on your returns, that's proof you live together.

What about state ID or drivers licenses showing the same address?

With joint accounts etc that you haven't saved, consider contacted the agencies where you're missing documents from and asking them to send them to you.

I also sent FB print-outs of photos with people comments (showing friends know we're together etc).

Have you been to the doctor or dentist? If so you might have a bill like mine that lists my husband as the "insured" and myself as the patient so that shows me using the insurance. If you don't have a copy but you did use the services, contact your insurer. The document is usually called "Explanation of benefits" so ask them about those.

If you get an RFE consider asking friends/family members to write some affidavits. Talk to them now about it so that when you ask they can do it quick.

What you have looks good but you've mentioned a lot of your stuff is new so try and get some more stuff from your marriage and onwards. Also keep collecting stuff in case you want to file citizenship in a year :)

Thank you. I did submit joint bank account statement, joint credit card statement, health and dental insurance with both of us covered, life insurance designating my husband as beneficiary, 401K.

Timeline

Thank you. I did submit joint bank account statement, joint credit card statement, health and dental insurance with both of us covered, life insurance designating my husband as beneficiary, 401K.

You need multiple months of these spanning the length of your marriage. You didn't say how many statements you showed. Or how long you've had joint insurance, or how long ago the life insurance was done etc.

I'm just giving you more ideas for MORE info in case you're RFE'd.

Timeline

Are you still married?? Your other post: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/407829-i-751-waiver-reduce-the-chance-of-approval/ asks about filing with a waiver...

Timeline

Filing jointly can be evidence of more "mingling of finances".... but even if they filed as married/separately, they definitely should submit those tax statements.

:thumbs:Its something, why not just file married, sounds like their are issues here, we will see..

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Timeline

:thumbs:Its something, why not just file married, sounds like their are issues here, we will see..

We did file as married, but separately. And I did not submit tax returns in my I751 package. Hope it won't be a problem.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.