Loida2006

Petitioning the parents

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am new on this site.. But, hopefully anyone can help me here.

I become a US citizen recently and wanted to petition for both of my parents.. My problem is, when my parents went to get their marriage certificate from NSO or National Statistic office my mothers name are different. Her real name is Julita instead the name shown on the marriage license is Lolita.. And the following is their suggestions.

1. Do not change the name Lolita (that is shown on marriage license). And will not cost us a lot of money.. or if we want to change her name from lolita back to her real name julita, we need to hire a lawyer and go to court about this name thing problem. The problem is all of my mothers children's birth certificate shown her real name as Julita not Lolita including mine.

2. The NSO office suggested them also to make the things easier for them is to re married and get a new marriage license. (I kind of like this idea but the problem is when I file the petition for my parents it need to prove that I was not born illigitimate or out of wedlock right?. Need to prove that they got married before I was born)..

Please if anybody has an idea.. Would appreciate any suggestions here.

Thank you.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am new on this site.. But, hopefully anyone can help me here.

I become a US citizen recently and wanted to petition for both of my parents.. My problem is, when my parents went to get their marriage certificate from NSO or National Statistic office my mothers name are different. Her real name is Julita instead the name shown on the marriage license is Lolita.. And the following is their suggestions.

1. Do not change the name Lolita (that is shown on marriage license). And will not cost us a lot of money.. or if we want to change her name from lolita back to her real name julita, we need to hire a lawyer and go to court about this name thing problem. The problem is all of my mothers children's birth certificate shown her real name as Julita not Lolita including mine.

2. The NSO office suggested them also to make the things easier for them is to re married and get a new marriage license. (I kind of like this idea but the problem is when I file the petition for my parents it need to prove that I was not born illigitimate or out of wedlock right?. Need to prove that they got married before I was born)..

Please if anybody has an idea.. Would appreciate any suggestions here.

Thank you.

Your mother will have to correct her name in their marriage certificate. It may take months & money but it will work out in the end.

I tend to want to go on #2 option... I do not think the legitimacy is an issue when petitioning for parents... i think the issue will be if they are really your parents, which means your birth certificate should correspond to their ID's...

I tend to want to go on #2 option... I do not think the legitimacy is an issue when petitioning for parents... i think the issue will be if they are really your parents, which means your birth certificate should correspond to their ID's...

sorry, i just googled it... and it looks like it is more complicated to go option #2... amended wedding certificate is the way to go... goodluck!!!

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

They are going to do a background check on your parents & if they find out that your parents have another (earlier) marriage certificate, this may cause a delay for the petition process or something else.

But on the other hand, to petition for your mom, you need to prove that she is your mother. Whether you are illegitimate or not is not the issue. So long as you can prove she is your mother. Whereas to petition for your dad you will need to submit a copy of their marriage certificate with your I-130 petition.

Personally, I would go through the long route of correcting it & avoid unnecessary worries.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If the name on mom's NSO birth certificate is Julita, and it shows Lolita on her marriage certificate, then she should have her MC corrected.

She would need the corrected MC when she applies for her Philippine passport. Name on NSO BC should match the name on the NSO MC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.