Lost person 2

Oath Ceremony that wasn't

25 posts in this topic

In December I received my Oath ceremony notification letter telling me to respond to Charlottesville Va on January 4, 2013. So on January 4, I drove to Charlottesville sat with everyone waiting to check-in, went to the officer to hand in my paperwork, to be told there was a mistake. The officer said that they had been told that I had been notified that my ceremony had been changed. She stated that Charlottesville holds ceremonies for applicants in the Eastern district of Va and that I live in the Western district and therefore could not go through the ceremony as they didn't have my certificate etc. The officer said that she was sorry and that she would look into the problem when she returned to her office after the ceremony. So I went home feeling rather sorry for myself and annoyed, just as I thought I'd reached the final hurdle, USCIS manage to trip me up yet again.

The officer did not tell me her name or give me any contact information so I called USCIS customer services. I told the lady that answered the phone what had happened, she said that the system still had me as scheduled for January 4 at Charlottesville. the lady then put me on hold for 35 minutes for me to speak with an officer who told me the same thing and couldn't understand why they turned me away. The officer told me that as she wasn't in Virginia that I should sign up for an infopass at my local office to find out more information. I went on line where it told me that my local office is not accepting infopass appointment at this time. I wrote a letter to my local office and sent it off in the post this morning with a copy of the original notice they sent me. I hope someone will be in touch to tell me what happened and what I need to do now.

Has anyone been through anything similar to this? Anyone have any recommendations? I don't know what to do. I can't beleive I got so close to being finished with all of this mess.

Any words of wisdom would really be appreciated, feeling very very lost right now.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Wow, now this is absurd! I am shocked at the lack of respect and apathy that USCIS shows to residents and future citizens. And there is no authority to maintain a check on their behavior. I feel sorry to know what has happened to you and hope you hear something soon.

IR5 For Parent

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

That is pretty bad. Is your local office Charlotteville? If not, I would send a copy of the letter (together with a physical description of the officer who turned you away) to that office, they may be able to identify the officer and get her to reply to you.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

I would absolutely take this up with one (or more) of your congressional representatives on Monday morning.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

That is pretty bad. Is your local office Charlotteville? If not, I would send a copy of the letter (together with a physical description of the officer who turned you away) to that office, they may be able to identify the officer and get her to reply to you.

And be sure to contacty our Congressman's office or your Senator's office and provide them with a copy of the letter as well, asking them for their assistance too.. Keep trying the Infopass link every day. Try different options as well. Hopefully there will be an appointment time very soon.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Thank you very much everyone, shall try all of these suggestions. Going to try and call the court house at Charlottesville on Monday and see if they can give me the name etc of the officer. I did just manage to get an infopass for my local office, Washington DC office, for Jan 14. Shall let you know what happens. Thank you again everyone, hope all your USCIS journeys go smoothly.

Timeline

The Charlottesville US District Court is in the WESTERN district of Virginia and they serve immigration oaths for people living near the court. Do you live near Charlottesville?

There is a web page that shows the scheduled oath ceremony dates for the western district of Virginia:

http://www.vawd.uscourts.gov/Naturalization/

A similar web page is available for the Eastern district of Virginia:

http://www.vaed.uscourts.gov/resources/naturalization/index.html

It looks like the Eastern courts are held in Alexandria, Richmond, and Norfolk. Do you live closer to any of these places than Charlottesville?

I think what I would do is call the Charlottesville court to see if they have you on any list of people scheduled for an immigration oath.

At the same time, I would be in contact with USCIS to find out if anything the Immigration Officer at Charlottesville told you was true - regarding being re-scheduled for another location. To me, that would be very unusual.

Good Luck, and keep us posted on what you find out. It will be helpful to many, including my wife who is waiting to be scheduled for an oath ceremony at Charlottesville.

kenk3z

I live two hours away from Charlottesville, in Warren County. My parents went through there oath ceremonies last year, both of which were held in Harrisonburg which is closer to me.

I called Harrisonburg on Friday after I was turned away as they have a ceremony coming up on Jan 10 so I thought I would check to see if my paperwork was sent there but they said they didn't have any of my paperwork. the USCIS officer I spoke with on the phone couldn't understand why I was turned away and told me to book an infopass appointment at my local office to find out more information. Initially when I tried to do this the system told me that that office was not accepting applications for infopass apointments at this time but later I was able to book one for Jan 14. I'm also in the process of putting a letter together for my congressman.

Will be calling Charlottesville tomorrow to see if they can tell me anything also.

So fed up with this.

Will keep you posted.

Well I called Charlottesville today and eventually spoke with a court representative that was sat next to the UCIS officer when they turned me away. The lady said that the USCIS officer was supposed to call me (suprise suprise she didn't). Apparently the city I live in lies in two counties, Faquier which is in the EASTERN district of Virginia and Warren which is in the WESTERN district of Virginia, when the court looked at my paperwork they thought I lived in Fauquier i.e the EASTERN district (which I don't). The court was also sent paperwork for people who were in different areas inside the eastern district and contacted USCIS in reference to these people being sent to the wrong place, USCIS sent a reply to the court telling them that these people had been notified not to attend the ceremony at Charlottesville on the 4th of Jan and the court thought that I was included in that list.

The court person was able to get in contact with someone from Homeland Security who called me and told me to go back to Charlottesville on the 18th of January for their next ceremony where I should eventaully conclude this bizarre journey.

That's good news! Glad everything worked out for you.

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
That's good news! Glad everything worked out for you.
Agreed -- and this proves the American adage that "the squeaky wheel gets the grease." Your persistence has paid off.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Glad you got it sorted and thanks for the update.

As we used to say in Ireland: you'll certainly have a story worth a few pints!

Edited by Penguin_ie

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Not your exact problem, but had more than our share of problems. A congressman is only a two year term, spends a year in Washington, second year campaigning for re-election, not a good choice.

Senator is a six year term, good ones have an immigration help department, if it wasn't for our senator, would still be waiting. Can look yours up, have two, on their web sites should post as to whether they have an immigration help center or not. Our newest senator that promised to cut taxes for super rich people doesn't have an immigration help person, so we went to the other one that did.

Field office districting is also a problem, can't recall the web site where you type in your zip code to learn where your field office is at. But I am gathering they go more by telephone area codes or maybe somewhere in between. We had that same problem being bounced between Milwaukee and St. Paul, even though St. Paul is twenty miles closer and has far superior parking. A friend living just east of St. Louis could practically walk to that field office, but was assigned to Chicago, she really had problems.

Emilio was constantly shifting the applications between the four service centers, ours was being bounced all over the place. Senators immigration officer was good at tracing those down, she has all the phone numbers, emails, and stuff we are not allowed to know.

Does give the impression the USCIS is not very well organized. Would think they would at least require those people on the other end of the phone to read their instructions, but they don't even do that.

Timeline

There are some instances where the District Court has scheduled people for "private" oath ceremonies. That is, you are the only one making the oath and are in the judge's chambers (office).

I don't know how this is set up, but have heard of it being done before. And if you look at some of the court's online schedules you can see this type of event.

But January 18th is soon enough and I hope you are successful at that time.

Lost Person 2, can you give me any information on how long you were in the QUEUE waiting for an oath ceremony appointment? That is, how long from the time you were informed that you were placed in the queue waiting for an oath ceremony, and when you actually received the letter with the oath ceremony assignment?

My wife is in the queue, and she is going crazy waiting for the oath ceremony schedule letter. When they place you in the waiting queue, you are told that you will get the letter for the oath ceremony time within 45 days. Right now it has been about 55 days for her case, but I have told her the government virtually shuts down over each of the holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years).

Since you went through the Fairfax USCIS office and then on to the Charlottesville District Court, I think your case timeline for these two events would interest us.

Thanks,

kenk3z

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.