The Mean Lady

Grocery Shopping on a Budget

77 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You can use whole wheat flour for the bread recipe too :yes: .

The pork chops are one of my standbys. I've also done them covered in sauerkraut on the top of the stove (low sided frying pan, covered and let simmer for 45 minutes - yum!).

He doesn't eat peanut butter??!:wow::lol: The honey jar works just as well - and cinnamon on honey sandwiches tastes great :D! (or jam - surely he eats jam? :huh: )

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

my husband eats veggies. raw or cooked.

and everything else he cooks could only be described as goulash of some sort.

he just puts everything in one pan and eats it.

i cant wait to move to the states where sammich stuff is cheaper.

he'll have sandwiches but meat and cheese costs too much up here!

i fed myself on 20 per week when i was living alone >=(

oldlady.gif

Filed: Timeline

i have to stick to wheat bread unfortunately. ill giv the chops a try.

been wanting something new to do w them.

aaaand he doesnt do peanut butter lmao nor do wr actually even have any lol

side note. seriously typing on a vita is ridiculously hard.

the screen is just too big to reach the whole keyboard

Hello and regards,

My suggestion is to make rice and beans. It has a nice taste and you can make it for very little money.

Also I would pour some water into whole milk. Nobody needs all that fat in whole milk anyhow.

Also I would eat more fruits and vegetables and stay away from meat.

I would stay away from processed foods and meat, not needed.Huge Budget killers and the meat...full of ####### from all the hormonal ####### they feed the animals for higher yield

Have just a small handful of nuts from time to time for energy and a feeling of satisfaction.

Skip the meat, your better off, have you had a good look at the meat industry?

I used to eat processed foods until I started thinking about the people processing them.

Sincerely and regards,

the nascar fan

Edited by nascarfan

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

Was wondering if anyone had any awesome tips or recipes for really cheap food.

Because of some car issues I came into this month, I lost almost my entire grocery budget.

I've got about $30-$35 to feed us for next week.

I do NOT need meat, really, as I have 10 meals in the fridge which include the following:

Fast Fry Chops

Bone in Center Pork Chops

Ground Beef

Stewing Veal

Cheap Steaks

Bone in Chicken Breast

Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts

So, really, probably won't need to purchase meat.

I'm TERRIBLE when it comes to purchasing lunches.

This is what I've got on my list so far:

(2) Sidekicks (these are meal sides) 97c ea

(2) michelina's microwave meals 97c ea

(3) primo soups 99c ea

(1) box of honey bunches of oats 1.97

(1) box of ice cream 1.97

(1) box of flakies pastries 1.99

(2) lbs roma tomatoes 1.76

(1) head of broccoli 77c

(1) can of tom soup 79c

(1) family pack of boneless skinless chicken 5.99 OPTIONAL (don't need but REALLY good price!)

Total w/o chicken = $17.09

Total w/chicken = 23.08

More stipulations:

• Don't need noodles or rice. I can't really eat complex carbs and I have enough in the cabinet anyways.

• Don't really have a lot of extra condiments in the house

• Don't need milk

• Don't currently have cheese and it's VERY expensive to get if I need it.

SO! I'm looking for the following:

• Cheap recipes for dinner that can use the meat I have (the meat is for dinners only)

• What else can I spend the last 10 bucks on that will help us out

• Any other tips as my typical budget is $75 per week and even that is leaving us hungry at the end of the week

• Good ideas for snacks and lunches

First, I would highly advice to sign up for a loyalty card at the grocery store you shop at. Next start looking at coupons advertised at your store's online site or discounted prices when using your loyalty card.

With careful planning, you can decrease the amount you spend by 30-40%.

Get into the habit of looking and picking buy one get one free offers. Might make you spend alil more in one week's budget but save in next week's. And buy in bulk when you can.

For example, due to my SO dietry needs, there is a specific bread that he can eat due to its low-carbs. Normally costs 3.50 but when we find it on special for 1.00 or the buy 1 get 1 free offer, we stocked up, buy at least 6-8 loafs and then freeze them. Bread is good to freeze for about 3 months and tastes exactly the same when thawed out. And no it doesnt get soggy.

CR1 Visa

USCIS
08/13/2013 -- I130 Sent
08/14/2013 -- I130 NOA1 (email)

02/20/2014 -- I130 NOA2 (189 days - email)

NVC

02-28-2014 -- NVC received
04-03-2014 -- NVC case number assigned

05-22-2014 -- Case completed!!!!!!!
05-30-2014 -- Interview scheduled for July 16th 2014 08:30am

05-31-2014 -- Interview Letter received
Embassy
06-24-2014 -- Medical

07-16-2014 -- Interview Approved!!!!!
07-21-2014 -- Visa in hand
09-24-2014 -- POE

ROC
09-09-2016 -- I-751 sent
09-17-2016 -- NOA received

10-14-2016 -- Biometric appointment

08-07-2017 -- New card ordered
08-10-2017 -- New card mailed ( still no approval letter)

I'm guessing you're still in Canada at the moment. I 'm in the UK right now and our shopping bill to feed three is over £120.00 a week! When we were in the States, we spent about $75.00. Talk about sticker shock. I find I can control the budget a bit more by planning my meals for the week ahead of time. I have a set list of meals that I rotate around (kind of like a menu) with the ingredients needed and I make my list up from that...plus I keep another list that includes food staples that we need every week (milk, eggs, cereal, etc) Its pretty time consuming to set it up...but it does help. I just wish the UK used coupons and such more and I miss my Sunday paper with all the sales fliers in it :( Its really hard here to find out what's on sale during the week.

10/26/03 Met in Yahoo chat room
06-2004 Glyn flies to Boston for 2 week holiday with me in White Mountains
06/07/2006- HE PROPOSES!!
12/13/2006- Glyn and Simon the best man fly in for wedding.
December 16,2006- Happiest day of my life
12/25/2006- Best and worst Christmas ever. Glyn flies back to England at 6 pm Christmas Night.
02/19/2007- UK spousal visa approved in NY after only 4 days.
March 2,2007- Reunited in England with Glyn.
01/21/2008-mailed I-130 to USCIS in London
01/24/2008-NOA1
04/13/2008-Panic. RFE received
April 17, 2008-Mailed off again.
April 22, 2008-NOA2 received dated April 21, 2008.
April 26, 2008-Packet 3 received
April 28, 2008-Mailed off DS-230
May06,2008-Packet 3 sent
May 08, 2008-Medical scheduled
May 22,2008-Packet 4 received
June 03,2008-Interview APPROVED!!!!!

June 04, 2008-Visa in hand
June 20, 2008-Shippers come for our things.
June 25, 2008-Flying to the USA
November 15, 2010-Sent off VERY late I-751 along with many prayers.
04/09/2011-10 year GC arrives in mail.
09/08/2011-Glyn leaves for UK
01/30/2012-Biometrics for UK spousal & dependent visas sent out w/ application same day
02/24/2012-UK settlement visas issued

04/16/2013-I-130 sent off-----04/19/2013 NOA1

05/15/2013-NOA2

Never received packet 3 although it was mailed to us on May 29th

07/17/2013-Sent off packet 3 after finally getting ALL our documents together

08/19/2013-Medical scheduled (there were earlier appointments but unfortunately, we couldn't get there for them due to hubby's work)

09/24/2013-Interview APPROVED

11/01/2013-POE BOSTON

01/13/2014-10 Year green card received

03/09/2019- Sent I-130 to Chicago lock box for step-son

03/20/2019- NOA 1

08/10/2019-NOA 2

Timeline

Hello and regards,

My suggestion is to make rice and beans. It has a nice taste and you can make it for very little money.

Also I would pour some water into whole milk. Nobody needs all that fat in whole milk anyhow.

Also I would eat more fruits and vegetables and stay away from meat.

I would stay away from processed foods and meat, not needed.Huge Budget killers and the meat...full of ####### from all the hormonal ####### they feed the animals for higher yield

Have just a small handful of nuts from time to time for energy and a feeling of satisfaction.

Skip the meat, your better off, have you had a good look at the meat industry?

I used to eat processed foods until I started thinking about the people processing them.

Sincerely and regards,

the nascar fan

Lmao while I appreciate your help, I am not going to become a vegetarian.

First, I would highly advice to sign up for a loyalty card at the grocery store you shop at. Next start looking at coupons advertised at your store's online site or discounted prices when using your loyalty card.

With careful planning, you can decrease the amount you spend by 30-40%.

Get into the habit of looking and picking buy one get one free offers. Might make you spend alil more in one week's budget but save in next week's. And buy in bulk when you can.

For example, due to my SO dietry needs, there is a specific bread that he can eat due to its low-carbs. Normally costs 3.50 but when we find it on special for 1.00 or the buy 1 get 1 free offer, we stocked up, buy at least 6-8 loafs and then freeze them. Bread is good to freeze for about 3 months and tastes exactly the same when thawed out. And no it doesnt get soggy.

I'm already thrifty, just need ideas for additional things to buy.

There are no loyalty cards at the stores I shop at and I already get coupons and price match EVERRRYYYTHING.

I'm guessing you're still in Canada at the moment. I 'm in the UK right now and our shopping bill to feed three is over £120.00 a week! When we were in the States, we spent about $75.00. Talk about sticker shock. I find I can control the budget a bit more by planning my meals for the week ahead of time. I have a set list of meals that I rotate around (kind of like a menu) with the ingredients needed and I make my list up from that...plus I keep another list that includes food staples that we need every week (milk, eggs, cereal, etc) Its pretty time consuming to set it up...but it does help. I just wish the UK used coupons and such more and I miss my Sunday paper with all the sales fliers in it :( Its really hard here to find out what's on sale during the week.

Ewwww! I could not live w/o sales and coupons.

oldlady.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

http://www.blissfulanddomestic.com/

I found this blog kinda helpful. I think I still need to learn how to cook "American style" and sometimes get too attached to the foods that I've always eaten for my whole life (it also kinda like a therapy for homesickness).

I think you should just realize what kind of meats, vegetables, fruits you would eat and buy those and based on the list of the foods you eat, it would be easier for us to give you cheap recipes. Anyways I do love pasta and rice and I cook A LOT of it. Sometimes I make lasagna and freeze it so I have a dinner/lunch ready for when I feel too lazy to cook or am too broke to go shopping.

I do love vegetables and I have quite few naughty recipes to make side dishes (that you can turn into healthy...kind of) with zucchini, artichokes, eggplants and cauliflower. Let me know if you want me to write them for you.

Anyways something that I always have on hand is chicken breasts, green beans, broccoli, spinach, beans, tomatoes and potatoes. If you are not a picky eater can do pretty much anything from soups, to pasta, to baked stuff to side dishes.

I think it is very important you use some imagination, throw some stuff in a pot and put spices to make it taste good and smell better.

My husband isn't a picky eater either but sometimes he refuses to eat leftovers or pasta and I am like "Well you married an Italian suck it up and eat. Next time you're the one in charge for dinner". It always shuts him up!

Also have you checked Pinterest? Often on there you can find good ideas. And check "blissful and domestic", maybe you'll find something intresting.

Giovanna

Timeline

http://www.blissfulanddomestic.com/

I found this blog kinda helpful. I think I still need to learn how to cook "American style" and sometimes get too attached to the foods that I've always eaten for my whole life (it also kinda like a therapy for homesickness).

I think you should just realize what kind of meats, vegetables, fruits you would eat and buy those and based on the list of the foods you eat, it would be easier for us to give you cheap recipes. Anyways I do love pasta and rice and I cook A LOT of it. Sometimes I make lasagna and freeze it so I have a dinner/lunch ready for when I feel too lazy to cook or am too broke to go shopping.

I do love vegetables and I have quite few naughty recipes to make side dishes (that you can turn into healthy...kind of) with zucchini, artichokes, eggplants and cauliflower. Let me know if you want me to write them for you.

Anyways something that I always have on hand is chicken breasts, green beans, broccoli, spinach, beans, tomatoes and potatoes. If you are not a picky eater can do pretty much anything from soups, to pasta, to baked stuff to side dishes.

I think it is very important you use some imagination, throw some stuff in a pot and put spices to make it taste good and smell better.

My husband isn't a picky eater either but sometimes he refuses to eat leftovers or pasta and I am like "Well you married an Italian suck it up and eat. Next time you're the one in charge for dinner". It always shuts him up!

Also have you checked Pinterest? Often on there you can find good ideas. And check "blissful and domestic", maybe you'll find something intresting.

A couple of neat ideas there.

I find most blogs about grocery shopping irritating because they are planning meals for (4).

I think it's easy to save money when planning for multiple people, but cooking for (2) is a little more tricky.

I saw a neat post in there about using almost expired milk up... though the solution was not really for me.

Anyone else have any ideas for using up almost expired milk?

I stupidly in a hurry bought an entire gallon with a sell by date of 1/10 and I still have (2) bags left =[

oldlady.gif

Timeline

Probably the best idea is to cook it.

Some mashed potatoes maybe? Or what about you freeze it into cubes? You can use ti to make icecreams (blend the cubes with fruit and sugar). If you leave it out it should be good in the morning for breakfast

Edited by Apapaia

Giovanna

Timeline

Something came up in my mind. A lot of times I make besciamella sauce and use it to make mac and cheese (yes I am so sorry, pasta again) OR my husband surprised me with this recipe! He put some basil leaves and used it to top the grilled chicken breast. It was so good! I was impressed!!

Anyways you should be able to freeze both milk and besciamella for a couple of months

Giovanna

I like to find a way to cut my grocery budget in half. Some of these ideas sound good to me.

It starts with sitting down and planning what to eat for the week. I know a lot of people feel as if that is too time-consuming or old-fashioned, but it pays off when you're in and out of the grocery store in under 30 minutes without spending tons more money because something else caught your eye.

I use the "Out of Milk" shopping app and website to keep track of my weekly grocery list and the cost of each item, including if I have a coupon or it's on sale. Tastespotting is a great website for searching for recipes based on an ingredient you may have on hand, but not sure what to do with it. As someone else mentioned, there are lots of cooking on a budget types of websites/blogs around, too.

Even if you're only cooking for two, making enough to have leftovers later in the week will cut down on the overall grocery budget. You don't have to eat the leftovers the next day. You can freeze them for later or what's left over from a main entrée can become a side dish for another meal (this is where the advanced planning can come in handy). Also, making meals from scratch vs. relying too much on pre-packaged food will cost less and more filling in the long run. A crockpot is a great investment for making so many things.

Keeping flavorful items like onions, garlic and bell peppers on hand can help, too. You can quickly chop them up and add them to lots of recipes. Buying whole chickens, cooking them, and then using the bones to make stock to keep in the freezer will be great for future use, too. Same goes for turkey, beef, etc. If there are bones or veggies about to go bad, you can make a stock!

My husband doesn't have as much of an adventurous palate as I do, but he is willing to try things. Because I'm the primary cook, I've been slowly expanding what he eats by introducing different spices and recipes into our dinners. We probably average about $80 a week on groceries, with an eye towards keeping enough of the staples in the pantry and freezer. Plus, that leaves more money for wine! :lol:

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Oh, one more ingredient that can add flavor to a meal -- mushrooms! There are so many varieties and many have that "meaty" flavor to them, making them great for soups, sauces, gravies as well as a replacement for meat in a meal.

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin