Tony&Diana

Very confused about SSN - papers sent to DHS Buffalo NY ???

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Also one question very confused about the SSN ???

We been there yesterday right before closing time to get a SSN and a very rude old boy :bonk::wacko: told us that my name changed according to the marriage certificate and because of that he must send our papaers to dhs in NY

? the marriage certificate shows no change of name and above all that is my personal option if i want to change my name or not . :angry:

He was typing and typing and at the end gave us back the papers and said he send our papers to Buffalo NY to the DHS and that we have to wait between 2-6 weeks :wacko: to get something in the mail from them and then come back to the office and apply for a ssn and that the DHS dont exactly has a time frame in answering and that was it .

First thing i dont have an unlimited period of time to apply for that ssn as i hv to do it till 25 of february -14 days before my I-94 expires and frankly i dont understand why he didn't issued me one when a day before when we were there to ask about the papers and procedures another one of his co-worker said that if i want the ssn card with my maiden name on he can just go through with it and mk but if i want it on the married name i could go to the local uscis office and ask them to put a flyier in my passport that my name changed due to marriage , :blink:

Any ideas over the situation guys ?

If i dont get a SSN before the I-94 expires will i be able to do it later when the rest of the papers EAD and AP or green card arrive from AOS ?

Edited by Tony&Diana

Filed: Timeline

Sounds about correct, We waited 5 weeks for my wife's SSC. Although the DHS sent the paperwork to the SS office that we filed for the name change at. You might get the card before mid FEB. Yes you can get a card when you get your EAD/AP arrive I believe that is correct check out the SS web site to make sure.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Sometimes their is a delay in computer talking to computer, they should mail it back in about 10 days. We found it is easier to get the social in maiden name about two weeks after arrival, then change the name when green arrives. Then change DL and banking at that time with the new SS card.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Timeline

Well thing is we weren't allowed to get a social security card for now not even on a maiden name by the other employee when a day before another one told us it is possible . :bonk:

Anyway i mailed the National SSN office today with the situation as doing my researches on the big VJ family forums

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/318320-cannot-get-ssn-after-getting-marriage/page__st__15

i realized that there are more people going throught the same situation -they not being given a SSN after marriage so they had to email the National SSN agency and guess what ? :star: :star: :star:

Surprise they e-mailed them back that they are very much entitled to get a SSN nr in their married name issued directly as the marriage certificate is actually an exemption from the SAVE data base and even the last name is different in there it doesnt matter . :dance:

So Monday we'll go back and let them have it for sure they will be having it from the Main SSN office also :thumbs:

Edited by Tony&Diana

Well, I don't work for SSA. But I know that at my job (social services) we often have to mail paperwork to Buffalo to confirm a person is legally in the country because a visa/certificate/whatever is NOT enough to confirm if the person isn't showing up in the system. So perhaps it's a similar issue.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Timeline

I agree with you totally but normally it is not their job to verify more than that a person has a valid I-94 ,a K-1 VISA in their passport and a marriage certificate-BUT not even that

I am in the country only for 3 weeks so probably the SAVE data base hasn't been updated yet or something -he could've told me to go home and come back after a week but anyway i will see on Monday when i get there what is the resolution from a supervisor or manager .

Thank you for your answer :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.