Sign in to follow this  
QingChangBingBang

DHS didn't clear app for SSN

11 posts in this topic

Hey everybody,

About five weeks ago my husband and I went to our local Social Security Administration office to apply for my SSN - I received my green card just a few days before in November 2012.

After not hearing anything regarding the SSN for more than five weeks, we decided to re-visit the office to see what the problem was. They told us today that the Department of Homeland Security didn't clear me for my SSN.

The Social Security Office didn't have any answers for us.. they said that the information we present to them must match up with what DHS has on file exactly.

My green card is in my husband's family name.. while my Chinese passport still has my maiden name. When we applied for my SSN, we presented my Chinese passport and my newly received green card. They told us during the initial application that DHS would have to verify everything due to the documents having different last names.

Where should we go now? Who do we talk to? My husband called USCIS earlier and they said that the green card is 100% correct and that this is not their issue, but an issue possibly with the Department of State? My husband didn't think the agent knew what he was talking about.

My husband and I have plane tickets to visit China in the end of January and now I'm starting to worry that I will have problems crossing the border back into the USA! My husband seems to think this is all a simple and easily correctable mistake.. but I still worry. We don't know who to call or what to do! Should we make an INFOPASS appointment?

Any help is appreciated!

Edited by QingChangBingBang

After going through the forums.. even more confused.. is it Customs and Border Protection or Dept of Homeland Security that needs to verify with the Social Security Administration??

First, you are talking about three (3) seperate government agencies with 3 seperate jobs. DHS or the USCIS gives out visa and travel documents and issues the GC. CBP allows you to re-entry th US after going overseas. The SSA is responsible for administerating the old age pension here in the US. It sounds like you got a brain dead SSA employee that cannot issue you a SSC based on your documents being in your married name raher than your maiden name. Write an e-mail to the main SSA office on their website and explain your situation and the local offiec you visited and whom you spoke to if you remember. They should send you an e-mail you can take to the local office to train the employees that a K-1 visa holder is allowed to get SSC AND can get that card in the married name. You will need to take your passport, GC, and marriage certifiate to prove that you are one and the same but they can do this. The other way is if there is still at least 2 weeks before your I-94 card expires, you could get the SSC in your maiden name, but you have the GC so I bet the I-94 is long expired.

For travel you wil lhave no problems. Just take a copy of your marriage certificate so the airlines can connect the dots that the name on the ticket and your passport is the same as the married name on your GC so they will let you board the airplane.

Good luck,

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Don't show the passport to the SSA. It's not required, and probably just confused them. Perhaps they typed the name on the passport into their computer.

CBP is part of DHS.

Spouse-based AOS from out-of-status H-1B, May - Aug 2012

Removal of conditions, Aug - Nov 2014

you have no issues with the travel, as you already have a green card. Bring a marriage certificate as well, as it's the ONLY document having all names on it.

re: the SSA visit, the next one you're making - get a supervisor, complain that the clerk didn't know what he/she was doing.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

2mzcunl.gif

you have no issues with the travel, as you already have a green card. Bring a marriage certificate as well, as it's the ONLY document having all names on it.

re: the SSA visit, the next one you're making - get a supervisor, complain that the clerk didn't know what he/she was doing.

Thank you Darnell. Someone suggests that I just bring green card alone to apply for SSN. Is that legitimate? I mean will the SSA officers grant me SSN by showing only green card?

Don't show the passport to the SSA. It's not required, and probably just confused them. Perhaps they typed the name on the passport into their computer.

CBP is part of DHS.

I was informed more than one month ago that when I apply SSN, I need to bring my passport and green card. I don't know if they use my passport name in their computer or not. :blink:

First, you are talking about three (3) seperate government agencies with 3 seperate jobs. DHS or the USCIS gives out visa and travel documents and issues the GC. CBP allows you to re-entry th US after going overseas. The SSA is responsible for administerating the old age pension here in the US. It sounds like you got a brain dead SSA employee that cannot issue you a SSC based on your documents being in your married name raher than your maiden name. Write an e-mail to the main SSA office on their website and explain your situation and the local offiec you visited and whom you spoke to if you remember. They should send you an e-mail you can take to the local office to train the employees that a K-1 visa holder is allowed to get SSC AND can get that card in the married name. You will need to take your passport, GC, and marriage certifiate to prove that you are one and the same but they can do this. The other way is if there is still at least 2 weeks before your I-94 card expires, you could get the SSC in your maiden name, but you have the GC so I bet the I-94 is long expired.

For travel you wil lhave no problems. Just take a copy of your marriage certificate so the airlines can connect the dots that the name on the ticket and your passport is the same as the married name on your GC so they will let you board the airplane.

Good luck,

Dave

Thank you for your detailed reply. Now I am pretty sure that I can return when enter to USA by showing my green card and my marriage certificate. I was on phone earlier with Transportation Security Administration and airline company. They have explained to us that it's not going to be an issue to not have passport and green card's names in the match. And about the verification of my file concerning the application of SSN, I have just now made an infopass appointment with the local field office of USCIS and see where it can lead me after the appointment. Happy New Year!

Edited by QingChangBingBang

China Airports do preflight screening, so carry

1. passport

2. greencard

3. marriage certificate

so you can get on the plane.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

2mzcunl.gif

Today I received a phone call from local social security office. The lady told me that I can expect my social security card arriving in mailbox in the coming two weeks. Thus I will cancel the infopass appointment. Thank you for all your suggestions and opinions. LOL :dance:

infopass appointment could NEVER have fixed this.

2mzcunl.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.