lierre

Abbreviations on I-130 form

18 posts in this topic

My husband filled in the I-130 using the computer. He abbreviated some words, like our physical address and my former employer's company name. Even my country, Philippines was shorted to PI.

Is this acceptable? Or should I push to have an additional sheet instead so we can spell everything out in its long versions?

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

My husband filled in the I-130 using the computer. He abbreviated some words, like our physical address and my former employer's company name. Even my country, Philippines was shorted to PI.

Is this acceptable? Or should I push to have an additional sheet instead so we can spell everything out in its long versions?

If you haven't sent in the form yet, redo it and spell out any words and names other than standard mailing address abbreviations such as "RD" for "road". Don't give the USCIS staff any reason to misinterpret anything or think that you are trying to hide something. It's not worth saving a few keystrokes.

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

28 Jun 2013: POE Houston

08 Jul 2013: SSN received (at SSA office)

07 Aug 2013: Green Card received

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

29 Apr 2014: POE Dublin through Heathrow

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For my FULL timeline, see my "About Me" page.

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

If you haven't sent in the form yet, redo it and spell out any words and names other than standard mailing address abbreviations such as "RD" for "road". Don't give the USCIS staff any reason to misinterpret anything or think that you are trying to hide something. It's not worth saving a few keystrokes.

My thoughts exactly! :)

Would you suggest I add a separate sheet for each item or is it okay if I put all items on one sheet of paper (if they fit) and have my husband sign off on them?

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.

Audre Lorde

no, not abbreviated not accepted, if it dont fit use a seperate sheet of paper put the full name and page,paper clip to the form.

Thanks! One item per sheet? Or can I put multiple items in one sheet?

Audre Lorde

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Yes, be as complete as possible. There ARE some blanks where PHILIPPINES will not fit but there are other blanks right next to them where it will fit. Just enter as much as possible in each blank. St. or Ave. and two-letter abbreviations for US States and USA for country are perfectly acceptable abbreviations anywhere on the forms though. No applicable blank will accept all of United States of America.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

you can put multiple items in one sheet they need to be numbered like example page 2 section 3.

Thank you! Will do that :)

Yes, be as complete as possible. There ARE some blanks where PHILIPPINES will not fit but there are other blanks right next to them where it will fit. Just enter as much as possible in each blank. St. or Ave. and two-letter abbreviations for US States and USA for country are perfectly acceptable abbreviations anywhere on the forms though. No applicable blank will accept all of United States of America.

Thank you! Better to be very safe! I just love Visajourney!!!

Audre Lorde

Are abbreviations for states acceptable? Like CA for California and TX for Texas? :)

Audre Lorde

Timeline

Are abbreviations for states acceptable? Like CA for California and TX for Texas? :)

Yes. Already answered. OK for States in the USA and provinces in Canada.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Oh good. Got a little scared after seeing this thread since I abbreviated ON :whistle:

Haha! Glad it won't be an issue for you, too :)

Audre Lorde

Heres one ive been pondering about postting on the subject of Abbreviations.

While filling our i-130 in i noticed the United Kingdom doesn't fit in most of the boxes on the form, however it asks for the country on most of the questions and as such the United Kingdom i NOT a country! The actual country i'm from is England. English passports say the United Kingdom on them though, one of the first questions asking what country i am from has the space to put "United Kingdom (UK)" in, after that i was thinking of putting just the UK in all the other boxes. Would this be acceptable ? or should i just put England in all the boxes ?

Timeline

Heres one ive been pondering about postting on the subject of Abbreviations.

While filling our i-130 in i noticed the United Kingdom doesn't fit in most of the boxes on the form, however it asks for the country on most of the questions and as such the United Kingdom i NOT a country! The actual country i'm from is England. English passports say the United Kingdom on them though, one of the first questions asking what country i am from has the space to put "United Kingdom (UK)" in, after that i was thinking of putting just the UK in all the other boxes. Would this be acceptable ? or should i just put England in all the boxes ?

UK is a perfectly appropriate answer for country when you are from England. England is fine too but UK is more correct. To say you are a "British" citizen is also OK but UK is a perfect answer for country of residence or citizenship.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

UK is a perfectly appropriate answer for country when you are from England. England is fine too but UK is more correct. To say you are a "British" citizen is also OK but UK is a perfect answer for country of residence or citizenship.

Excellent, thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.