Kevin_

Beneficiary’s Birth Certificate

21 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Look at this website. http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3195.html#certificates

Birth Certificates

You (and any family members immigrating with you to the United States) must obtain an original birth certificate issued by the official custodian of birth records in your country of birth, showing your date of birth, place of birth, and parentage Important Notice: All Immigrant Visa applicants must submit a long form original birth certificate. Short form birth certificates will not be accepted.

The certificate must contain the:

•Your date of birth

•Your place of birth

•Names of both parents

•Indication by the appropriate authority that it is an extract from the official records

Unobtainable birth certificates

If your birth record is not obtainable for any reason, a certified statement must be obtained from the appropriate government authority explaining why your birth record is unavailable. You must also submit secondary evidence such as:

•A baptismal certificate that contains the date and place of birth, as well as both parents names (providing the baptism took place shortly after birth)

•An adoption decree for an adopted child

•An affidavit from a close relative, preferably your mother, stating the date and place of birth, both parents names, and your mother’s maiden name.

Note: An affidavit executed before an official authorized to take oaths or affirmations must also be provided. More specific information is available from the NVC.

:thumbs:

By appropriate government, do you mean the government of Canada?

Timeline

By appropriate government, do you mean the government of Canada?

No. That would be from the country you were actually born in that would explain why you couldn't get your birth certificate.

oldlady.gif

Timeline

http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_5455.html?cid=8987

The reciprocity schedule for Vietnam has the following:

When primary documents are unavailable, secondary evidence regarding Vietnamese who fled their country beginning in April 1975 may be available from the individual and his or her refugee record. If the applicant received first asylum in Taiwan, cable AIT - Taipei; if in Thailand, cable the U.S.Embassy in Bangkok, Thailand and slug for ODP; if elsewhere in east or southeast Asia, cable the U.S.Embassy in Bangkok, Thailand and slug for RMA/ODP.

Do your parents still have your refugee card/record?

I still have my Immigration Record which contain my birth date. Can you submit that as proof?

Honestly I’m not sure if what you have would be considered secondary evidence or not. There is also the affidavit’s from your parent option to add to your Immigration Record. I am assuming you are talking about something from Immigration Canada and not some original refugee document?

Here is an example of what to include in the affidavit(s): http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/374019-birth-certificate-for-cambodian-refugee/

I know I’ve seen other refugees on the board but I don’t recall how they solved their birth certificate issues other than the above.

Edited by hikergirl

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.