nyc123

Traveling Abroad With Wife's Expired Green Card

52 posts in this topic

Hello,

We are in similar situation. We have our infopass apt on Thursday regarding the i551 stamp. My husband's green card has also expired and our application is in process. We were confident that we would have the new green card by end of December 2012 because our application is at California Service Center and the avg time there is 6 months. I think because of various holidays our application is still in review process. We are going to Pakistan and Saudia Arabia in Qatar airlines and have the green card with extension letter. We are going to infopass appointment to get stamp. HOwever, if they ask us to surrender expired green card or extension letter, we will not do so. We rather keep our expired green card then get a stamp. Called Qatar airlines and they assured us that the extension letter would be honored. Just worried about immmigration at Pakistan airport.

Will keep you posted.

Good luck dealing with Pakistan Customs (Even worse than my wife's native country Bangladesh). Can you explain what you mean by saying: "if they ask us to surrender expired green card or extension letter, we will not do so"? Please let us know what happens during your Infopass & whether or not you get it.

Thanks.

What that means is: My husband's friend (in same situation as us) went to the same field office last year to get the i551 stamp. The officer took his expired green card and stamped his Pakistani passport. The friend says that is the worse decision he made to give up his expired green card because now he would be travelling without any proof of a green card. He was lucky and his permanent green card came in the mail few days before his flight.

I know Pakistan has a bad reputation but I sincerely believe that travelling with an expired green card and extension letter should be fine because my husband would be travelling with his family (his wife and infant daughter who are both US citizens). Also, we would not be the first people travelling in such situation. I'm sure people do it all the time.

Will keep you posted about the infopass appt.

Filed: Timeline

@ Fatima 21

Assalam o Alaikum! I just came back from Pakistan and was in exactly the same situation as your husband (down to wife and child too) and did not have any problem at all ..........at any place on the way or at Pakistan customs.

I had the expired card and extension letter. I would advise you not to go to infopass as you will just be wasting your time and might just end up complicating things for no reason at all.

You do need the card and letter together so please just hold onto that and it will work for everyone in this situation.

@ Fatima 21

Assalam o Alaikum! I just came back from Pakistan and was in exactly the same situation as your husband (down to wife and child too) and did not have any problem at all ..........at any place on the way or at Pakistan customs.

I had the expired card and extension letter. I would advise you not to go to infopass as you will just be wasting your time and might just end up complicating things for no reason at all.

You do need the card and letter together so please just hold onto that and it will work for everyone in this situation.

Thanks so much for replying. That gives me a huge relief. If you can kindly tell me which airline you used? Also, which airports were involved in both Pakistan and USA and which types of questions should we expect? Thanks so much in advance. I

I will remember you in my duas.

Filed: Timeline

@fatima 21

Thank you very much.I will be grateful for the duas.

We traveled by Emirates..........This was from Dallas but we took the flight via London Heathrow as I do not like the staright flight to Dubai as it is too long at a stretch. So we boarded American Airlines from Dallas.I dont know why but the AA lady did not ask for my green card or the extension letter even as we checked in which seemed odd to me as they always ask for it while checking in but anyways......so no questions here....then when we changed over to emirates in london they didnt ask for the green card either...just made sure that my wife and child had valid visas for Pakistan and Naturally I already had a Pakistani passport..at dubai it was just about changing flights....and then at the ISLAMABAD airport they just stamped entry without any questions.

On the way back the emirates/DNATA agent asked for my green card while checking in,saw that it was expired,told me,and I handed him the letter and pointed my finger at the line saying that this letter extends the validity of the green card by one year......no other questions were asked.........proceeded to immigration counter....put my wife and childs passport on the counter first( ladies and children first :)).........when it was my turn I handed over my passport and green card.....the officer said ......this is expired,do you have the letter?.......I gave the extension letter to him........he asked me to get a photocopy of it from a nearby kiosk( so my advice is to keep a few copies handy)......I handed it in and smiled for the camera......then came the immigration lady who cross checks again as you move towards the line to rescan the hand baggage......shesaw both the letter and card again...she asked my profession...told her.....and she said thank you.

At Dubai airport they now had those special agents with black briefcases who check your documents before you actually go the airline agent at the gate......she was concerned that I could not transit through London Heathrow with an expired green card (despite showing my letter)...she was getting concerned and calling her senior on the phone so I asked her what the problem is and she said that green card holders can transit London but if its expired you cant......though I still have my doubts about that(she was probably not aware,hence calling her supervisor) but I told her calmly that I have a multiple entry for the U.K and if that would suffice and she was quite relieved.

So next place was London Heathrow and the immigration agent for AA asked my profession and for how long I was in Pakistan and why I had gone.

Lastly was immigration at Dallas and I must say that it was the smoothest landing/welcome ever......asked me who was the lady travelling with me...I said my wife.....which cities in Pakistan you went to?......what was the purpose of my visit and what was the duration of my visit?......did I have family back there?..........no secondary inspection and nothing else..Welcome back.

I hope this is what you were looking for.So no need to worry.Enjoy your trip.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

assalam alaykum, guys i have quesyion since you guys are from pak....my wife has her expired GC....and i am american and my son is american citizen....so do we get the visa to go to pak or apply for the Non resident card...which is faster and cheaper.? thanks

I-129F Sent : 2009-09-01
I-129F NOA1 : 2009-09-09
Touched : 2009-09-17
I-129F NOA2 : 2009-11-06
NVC RECEIVED: 2009-11-08
NVC MAILED TO Embassy: 2009-11-16
Islamabad Embassy Received: 2009-11-20
Packet 3.5 Sent: 2009-11-24
Packet 3.5 received by fiancee: 2009-12-05
Packet 3.5 Mailed to Embassy: 2010-01-12
INTERVIEW: FEB 8th 2010
APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
VISA IN HAND - FEB 11 2010

AOS
CIS Office : Houston TX
Date Filed : 2010-06-02
NOA Date : 2010-06-11
RFE(s) :
Bio. Appt. : 2010-07-07
AOS Transfer** : 2010-07-07
AOS Touch : 2010-07-21
EAD Approved: 2010-08-11
AP Approved: 2010-08-11

Removing Conditions
11-13-2012 -> ROC Window open
12-1-2012 -> Packet Sent
12-5-2012 -> NOA

01-13- 2013 Approved

N-400

Mail Sent 5/15/2014 - Dallas

NOA - 5/20/2014

Fprints - 6/18/14

Inline- 6/20/2014

Int Ltr - 12/22/2014

WaliakumAslaam,

My case is slightly different from yours and which is why I was easily able to get the NICOP for myself and my daughter. I also just got my NICOP recently which is cheaper and longer than Pakistani visa. Since my husband is a Pakistani citizen, me and my daughter got our NICOP in 8 weeks based on his pakistani nationality. However, since my mother also has NICOP, the it was easy for me to prove my roots are from Pakistan and get the NICOP card for $55 each.

In your case, do either of your parent have NICOP card? Visit this website for more information: http://pakistanconsulateny.org/index.php?section=Nadra_nicop_new.html

I also noticed that it is easier for female to get NICOP based on their husband and/or parent's pakistani nationality. I don't know how it will be the other way around.

I will also tell you that I had to call the Pakistani consulate in NY many times to get more help and information. They were helpful and answered my questions properly. Wish you good luck as this is a long and tedious process but you won't need a visa for 7 years.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

I had some problems a few days ago flying back through London Heathrow.

I'm a June filer and had my extension letter with the relevant part nicely highlighted but the airline check-in staff said they had to check with security first. After a few minutes I was asked to come over to airport security to answer a few questions. I was kept waiting there for a while until a representative of the US Department of Homeland Security came along. She then asked me a few questions and made a call on her cellphone to check my alien number. She then said it was OK for me to board but then proceeded to give me a lecture about I should have applied earlier - something like a year before my Green Card expired! She new nothing about applications not being possible more than 90 days beforehand, nothing about the time it takes to get approval and was clearly annoyed when I pointed out that she was wrong.

The moral is that even if you are travelling from a country that has a lot of emigration to the US, even if you tell the airline in advance (which I did) stuff can still happen.

Filed: Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Update on the extension letter. Below is the e-mail I just received from U.S Embassy Dhaka & this is what they have to say:

==============================================================================================================================================================================================================================

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Embassy, Dhaka.

The I-797 stating the one year extension should be enough to prove your wife’s continued residency status. However, due to the lack of familiarity of immigration authorities with this document may result in delay or denial to board a plane at Bangladesh or any airport while in transit. Your wife may apply for a boarding foil that our office issues to Lawful Permanent Residents in loss, stolen or never received cases. Our office may issue her a boarding foil with permission from USCIS to facilitate her travel back to the United States.

Please visit our website at http://dhaka.usembassy.gov/boarding_foils_in_lost_stolen_never_received_green_cards.html'>http://dhaka.usembassy.gov/boarding_foils_in_lost_stolen_never_received_green_cards.html for information on how to apply for a boarding foil. She should submit the documents to prove her residency status during the interview.

If you have further questions, please feel free to contact the Non-Immigrant Visa Unit at Dhakaniv@state.gov as they process these applications.

We urge all American citizens to enroll with U.S. Embassy Dhaka via the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program at https://step.state.gov/step/.'>https://step.state.gov/step/. The Consular Section regularly sends messages (via email and/or text messages) to enrolled U.S. citizens regarding various issues (Change in office procedures, Voting information, security updates, etc.). Also, in the event of a large-scale emergency, or a personal or family emergency, enrollment allows the Embassy to provide information and critical assistance to U.S. citizens in Bangladesh. Please visit our website to know more about enrollment and how the Embassy can be of assistance at http://dhaka.usembassy.gov/acs_registration.html.'>http://dhaka.usembassy.gov/acs_registration.html.

The U.S. Embassy is located at Madani Avenue, Baridhara, Dhaka, 1212. The direct phone number for American Citizen Services (ACS) is (880-2) 882-3805, and our fax number is (880-2) 882-4449. Our office is open on any Sunday through Wednesday except for Embassy holidays.

We hope this information is useful.

Sincerely,

American Citizen Services Unit

U.S. Embassy

Dhaka, Bangladesh

http://dhaka.usembassy.gov

Are you an American Citizen visiting or living in Bangladesh? Please enroll online at https://step.state.gov/step/ or contact us for more information.

==============================================================================================================================================================================================================================

I am freaking out now assuming my wife get's denied of boarding pass, what you guys recommend me to do? We have an Infopass next week & Queens (New York) office & we will sure print this letter & show it to them. Any feedback will be a life saver.

Thanks.

Timeline

Hello,

We are in similar situation. We have our infopass apt on Thursday regarding the i551 stamp. My husband's green card has also expired and our application is in process. We were confident that we would have the new green card by end of December 2012 because our application is at California Service Center and the avg time there is 6 months. I think because of various holidays our application is still in review process. We are going to Pakistan and Saudia Arabia in Qatar airlines and have the green card with extension letter. We are going to infopass appointment to get stamp. HOwever, if they ask us to surrender expired green card or extension letter, we will not do so. We rather keep our expired green card then get a stamp. Called Qatar airlines and they assured us that the extension letter would be honored. Just worried about immmigration at Pakistan airport.

Will keep you posted.

Please let me know how your InfoPass interview went today & wherther or not you were able to get I-551.

Thanks

Hey,

The officer was ready to give the I551 stamp but he wanted to keep the expired green card in order to stamp the password. We opted out. I don't know if we made the correct decision, I guess time will tell but we decided to keep the expired green card and extension letter and not get the stamp.

The USCIS officer had the typical USCIS officer attitude, we tried to explain to him that we plan on travelling to countries that may or may not recognize the letter and he said in return "that's their problem,". He said the letter is a valid and authenticated letter and should be accepted.

Timeline

Hey,

The officer was ready to give the I551 stamp but he wanted to keep the expired green card in order to stamp the password. We opted out. I don't know if we made the correct decision, I guess time will tell but we decided to keep the expired green card and extension letter and not get the stamp.

The USCIS officer had the typical USCIS officer attitude, we tried to explain to him that we plan on traveling to countries that may or may not recognize the letter and he said in return "that's their problem,". He said the letter is a valid and authenticated letter and should be accepted.

Thanks for the information. As I mentioned earlier, the U.S Embassy Dhaka recommends us to get a boarding foil (not sure what exactly it is) from Bangladesh itself through an Embassy authorized organization. I sent another email today to U.S Embassy Dhaka & asked more about the nature of boarding foil. If the boarding foil is the I-551 stamp, Then I believe it makes sense to have my wife's passport stamped before we leave the country.

I am still wondering why USCIS would want to keep the expired green card to give I-551? What happens in those cases when people either loose their GC or the extension letter. I will let you know what the Dhaka Embassy has to say about boarding foil.

USCIS wanted to keep your both expired GC & NOA1 letter or just the expired GC?

Thanks.

Edited by nyc123

Timeline

Can someone please let me know what are the consequences if we surrender the expired GC & NOA1 letter to get the I-511 stamp? We have an Infopass next week & I imagine USCIS will agree to give us I-551 only if we give them the expired GC & NOA1 letter back (which happened to a member of VJ). What are advantages/disadvantages giving up the expired GC & NOA1?

Thanks.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

Folks, we had our Infopass this morning, USCIS gave us I-551 stamp in the exchange of wife's expired GC & NOA1 letter. I asked why they need the expired GC & they said, it's for security measure & they cannot let anyone has 2 norms of legal status. The I-551 has 6 months validity. After 6 months the I-551 will expire & if we wish to travel out of country again, then we will have to make another appointment to get new I-551. Me & wife decided that I-551 is more useful to us than expired GC since Greece Immegration personell at Athens airport are not too fimiliar with the extension letter. I believe we made the right decision. We hope to get the 10 year GC within 6 more months since we are July 2012 filer.

Thanks

Matt Sonders.

Edited by sonder

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.