hoping19

using husband/wife it will to deny your fiance' petition?

62 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I'm going to agree with this. The Petition shows your both free to marry. Is it wise to use the word Hubby/Wife and submit that with the Application. NO. , it might raise a brow from USCIS. (I assume you both only sent the 129-F at this point and waiting for NOA1). Make a Time-Line.....

Have they cashed the Check?

The worst I can imagine is a RFE. I doubt that but in the future refrain from mis-leading statements than may occur to the CO when the time of the interview arrives.

Good wishes to you.

It is more likely to affect the VISA application than the petition. Emails are unnecessary and of no consequence for the petition, so will be put to the back of the file as "redundant BS" and probably not read at USCIS. The consulate MAY read them when they are passed on to them and that is where it is most likely to cause a problem/questions. YES there have been cases reported here where VISAS were denied because of calling each other "husband/wife" or for proviidng other evidence that indicated the possibility the couple was actually married. USCIS does not issue visas so they really do not care except for the evidence in front of them that they are NOT married and therefore eligible to APPLY for a K-1 visa.

A petition is not a visa. It is a method by which you qualify to apply for certain visas. An approved petition is not an indication of an approved visa, only an indication of permission to APPLY.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

As Gary&Alla stated, yes people have been denied for this.

As many of these things tend to be country specific though, it is most likely that the OP will be fine as it's normal in their culture.

Out of interest I only ever called Tony "husband to be" (when talking about the wedding) never actually husband and the same for him and wife, as that would devalue the terms when we actually WERE husband and wife. It didn't make our relationship any less real, I didn't call him my fiance in emails or anything (as Gary&Alla said, that's weird), his name is Tony, or honey, sweetheart, love of my life etc etc.

Hopefully the OP will be okay, but my advice is to STOP DOING IT. You are NOT married so stop talking like you are and you won't run into any issues with them thinking you are.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

It shouldn't be a problem. I did the same in many of my chats/emails and I got approved. I don't think this will affect your interview either since this could just be a way you call each other, just like baby or babe. Good luck :)

To see a more detailed journey schedule, please see the About Me page and my Timeline.

Our K1 Process

June 7, 2012 -- Sent I-129F to June 9, 2013 -- Religious & Civil Wedding Ceremony in CT

FROM I-129f NOA1 to VISA APPROVAL: Exactly 8 months! No RFEs

Our AOS Process

July 16, 2013 -- Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP Paperwork to December 21, 2013 -- Received GC Card in the Mail!

FROM NOA1 to GREEN CARD in Hand: Exactly 4 months 27 days! No Interview or RFEs.

Our ROC Process

September 21, 2015 -- Mailed ROC Paperwork to August 6, 2016 -- Received Card in the Mail!

FROM NOA1 to GREEN CARD in Hand: Exactly 10 months 10 days! No Interview or RFEs.

Our {His} N-400 Process

Eligible to Apply for Citizenship on September 14, 2016.

October 4, 2016 -- Mailed N-400 Paperwork.

November 8, 2016 -- Completed Biometrics.

May 6, 2017 -- Received Interview Letter in the Mail.

June 8, 2017 -- Interview Passed!

June 16, 2017 -- Oath Ceremony! He is a USC!!

FROM Application to CITIZENSHIP: Exactly 8 months 13 days! No RFEs.

== I am the Petitioner/Sponsor/Citizen Spouse ==

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Thank you..i am just worried about it.

You should be worried. Why are you lying to each other; you're not married yet so to call each other husband and wife is not correct. It can only do harm to your case, nothing good.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I did the same in many of my chats/emails and I got approved.

How did you get approved already if your interview isn't until next month?

Perú's K-1 embassy packet can be viewed in our photos.
Travel Tips for Perú (& South America)
Our Immigration Experience
Seat Guru Flight seating!
Airport Processing Times - http://awt.cbp.gov/
POE-Houston? Pictures and info.....POE-Houston (other languages)....

Attention NEW K-1 Filers: (2012) Possible 1st year costs = Possibly 3K+$ for first year including fees for mailing, documents, supplies, etc.. NOT including travel costs. Process: 1.)Apply-340$ 2.)RFE? 3.) Med-300??$ 4.)Interview-350$ 5.)Surrender passport. 6.)Get Visa. 7.)Fly here. 8.) Marry in 90 days. 9.) Submit apps to stay, work, & travel-1070$ 10.) Biometrics-More fingerprinting 11.) GREENCARD ISSUED APR 9TH, 2013-11 MONTHS FOR AOS!
I've lived in Houston for 10 years. If you have any questions about the city, please message me. :)

It CAN, it HAS. Don't do it. I do not even call my WIFE..."wife" He name is Alla, I call her Alla. When she was my fiancee I called her "Alla". Sometimes "sweetheart", sometimes "Alichka" or Alinka". NEVER "wife" Why would I call my wife, "wife"? Hi, wife, how are you today? Did you have a good day today wifey? Seriously?

You do not cven need to include emails in the I-129f packet.

My wife rarely uses my full first name (which is the only way I'll respond to my actual name). Michelle calls me Hon, Honey ko, Asawa, or Agom (Bicol for Asawa/Spouse). I often refer to my wife in the third person when talking to her e.g. 'How is my wife doing today?' My best friend's husband calls his wife 'Mother' and has done so since the birth of their first child more than 30 years ago. (In the 10 years I have known them I have ever heard him use her actual name). One of the regulars at a local shop I frequent calls her husband 'Daddy'. Every couple has their own way of communicating with their beloved sometimes not always in the most endearing of ways either.

If anyone can provide evidence of a visa being denied for using the term spouse or husband/wife for a fiance at the MANILA Embassy it would be helpful for the conversation. Experience or evidence of how other consuls from cultures vastly different from the Philippines handle those terms does the OP no real good other than scaring the bejezzus out of him. Advising the OP to stop using comfortable terms of endearment may cause unneeded stress in the relationship. If the consul really has questions about why the terms are used it is easy enough to explain and as mentioned multiple times (not only by myself) is considered NORMAL in the Philippines where the interview will take place.

But the thing is that the terms "wife" and "husband" aren't terms of endearmnent.

Those terms describe your martial status.

Except in the Philippines they are terms of endearment just like Hon or Sweetie are in the US.

Timeline
Except in the Philippines they are terms of endearment just like Hon or Sweetie are in the US.

Okay, I get that in Tagalog there's no similar term so using the term in their NATIVE language is one thing, however using an English word means they should use the English word as the English word is defined. It is a title. It is not simple "a word" or a "term of endearment". They have been using this English word incorrectly, it shouldn't be encouraged just because everyone else does it. They should be corrected like any other time someone uses a word incorrectly.

When speaking another language they can't just decide what a particular word means or pick the closest word because it makes sense in their language. They should use the word as it is intended. This is a good habit to get into if they want to associate with other people that speak English otherwise they will just look stupid. I assume they have a word to mean "future" (or something similar to future)? So they should be calling them future husband or future wife, not simply husband and wife as that assumes a depth of relationship that DOES NOT exist.

So again, a HUSBAND is married man. A WIFE is a married woman. Just like when people call me Tony's "girlfriend" I correct them. I am his wife. I am married to him.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Okay, I get that in Tagalog there's no similar term so using the term in their NATIVE language is one thing, however using an English word means they should use the English word as the English word is defined. It is a title. It is not simple "a word" or a "term of endearment". They have been using this English word incorrectly, it shouldn't be encouraged just because everyone else does it. They should be corrected like any other time someone uses a word incorrectly.

When speaking another language they can't just decide what a particular word means or pick the closest word because it makes sense in their language. They should use the word as it is intended. This is a good habit to get into if they want to associate with other people that speak English otherwise they will just look stupid. I assume they have a word to mean "future" (or something similar to future)? So they should be calling them future husband or future wife, not simply husband and wife as that assumes a depth of relationship that DOES NOT exist.

So again, a HUSBAND is married man. A WIFE is a married woman. Just like when people call me Tony's "girlfriend" I correct them. I am his wife. I am married to him.

Both English and Tagalog are the official national languages in the Philippines. Filipinos are taught English starting in pre-school. They know the technical definition of husband and wife (and the definition of asawa as spouse), just as we in the US know the technical definition of honey, yet we keep on calling our loved ones bee vomit despite the definition of the word. Calling someone spouse, husband, or wife without legal paper is not unknown even in the US. Plenty of homosexual couples in the US refer to each other as spouses despite the illegality of such an arrangement in the majority of states, yet that doesn't invalidate their close bond and use of such a word as a term of endearment. The improper use of kinship is incredibly common in English, we call close friends brother and sister and older family friends as aunt and uncle. The whole concept of using pet names and terms of endearment is to relate a word to someone that defines them without being technically true.

Most terms of endearment are concrete nouns that have favorable associations, either with a sweet taste or the nature of the relationship.

I am truly amazed at times the level of intolerance I find in this forum, especially from those that are from Western nations. For a great many people that marry foreigners we (myself included) do so because the rigid thinking ingrained in Westerners is absolutely repulsive.

Timeline

Both English and Tagalog are the official national languages in the Philippines. Filipinos are taught English starting in pre-school. They know the technical definition of husband and wife (and the definition of asawa as spouse), just as we in the US know the technical definition of honey, yet we keep on calling our loved ones bee vomit despite the definition of the word. Calling someone spouse, husband, or wife without legal paper is not unknown even in the US. Plenty of homosexual couples in the US refer to each other as spouses despite the illegality of such an arrangement in the majority of states, yet that doesn't invalidate their close bond and use of such a word as a term of endearment. The improper use of kinship is incredibly common in English, we call close friends brother and sister and older family friends as aunt and uncle. The whole concept of using pet names and terms of endearment is to relate a word to someone that defines them without being technically true.

I am truly amazed at times the level of intolerance I find in this forum, especially from those that are from Western nations. For a great many people that marry foreigners we (myself included) do so because the rigid thinking ingrained in Westerners is absolutely repulsive.

That's all well and good and I agree that it IS done by some people (for example calling your b/f or g/f's family in-laws when really they're not) but just because other people do it doesn't make it right and this is immigration we're talking about. You want to do it in the confines of your home, have at it. If you want to do it at all, have at it, but do it with the knowledge that in some countries that use of those terms isn't normal and may result in a big red flag, and in some cases, denial of your case. This isn't the end of the world of course. You would just need to actually get married and file a spousal visa. It won't mean you'll never be together or anything like that. It just may cause problems for a K1 and result in a time delay and cost more money with the whole getting together to marry and then filing the CR-1.

There was a girl who was denied a K1 because she had an album on FB called "my wedding" with her engagement pics in it. I believe her intent was the add the wedding pictures later. They wouldn't hear her explanation and denied her and told her to file a CR-1 for her husband as they believed she was married and it's easier for her to get married than prove she isn't. There's lots of stories like that.

There's just simply no need to cause problems where there aren't any.

**Edit - the use of the term "honey" is people calling the other people sweet. It's a term of endearment, not a title so it doesn't matter. If I wanted to call you a sh*thead that doesn't mean I actually think your head is made of sh*t, that's slang. Happens with English a lot.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

How did you get approved already if your interview isn't until next month?

She was wondering about being approved by USCIS. NOT the embassy. The first step before the interview: NOA2. And as the positive person that I am, I do not believe anything will go wrong... I'm not denying that the consulate may ask some questions at our interview but it's nothing that we can't answer or prove. (Plus in my culture it's totally ok! as it is even proof of a strong relationp. In OP's case, she can prove that she isn't married yet with the CENOMAR.)

Happy New Year.

To see a more detailed journey schedule, please see the About Me page and my Timeline.

Our K1 Process

June 7, 2012 -- Sent I-129F to June 9, 2013 -- Religious & Civil Wedding Ceremony in CT

FROM I-129f NOA1 to VISA APPROVAL: Exactly 8 months! No RFEs

Our AOS Process

July 16, 2013 -- Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP Paperwork to December 21, 2013 -- Received GC Card in the Mail!

FROM NOA1 to GREEN CARD in Hand: Exactly 4 months 27 days! No Interview or RFEs.

Our ROC Process

September 21, 2015 -- Mailed ROC Paperwork to August 6, 2016 -- Received Card in the Mail!

FROM NOA1 to GREEN CARD in Hand: Exactly 10 months 10 days! No Interview or RFEs.

Our {His} N-400 Process

Eligible to Apply for Citizenship on September 14, 2016.

October 4, 2016 -- Mailed N-400 Paperwork.

November 8, 2016 -- Completed Biometrics.

May 6, 2017 -- Received Interview Letter in the Mail.

June 8, 2017 -- Interview Passed!

June 16, 2017 -- Oath Ceremony! He is a USC!!

FROM Application to CITIZENSHIP: Exactly 8 months 13 days! No RFEs.

== I am the Petitioner/Sponsor/Citizen Spouse ==

Timeline

She was wondering about being approved by USCIS. NOT the embassy. The first step before the interview: NOA2. And as the positive person that I am, I do not believe anything will go wrong... I'm not denying that the consulate may ask some questions at our interview but it's nothing that we can't answer or prove. (Plus in my culture it's totally ok! as it is even proof of a strong relationp. In OP's case, she can prove that she isn't married yet with the CENOMAR.)

Happy New Year.

No, she can prove she didn't register the marriage in the Philippines with a CENOMAR, that is all. She can't prove she didn't legally marry elsewhere.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Thank you..i am just worried about it.

You should be. Stop doing that, now.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.