keobong

EAD get lost by USPS, can I request to re-issue or re-apply?

20 posts in this topic

Hi All,

My EAD based on pending i-485 was approved and sent out. According to USPS tracking label, it was delivered last Thursday Dec 20th, 2012. I live in a high rise building in which front desk people takes all the packages. This package was never signed for and local post office told me it was delivered by temporary hired employee due to busy xmas season so they can't do anything more than telling me it was delivered. I have been looking for a week at both the local post office and the building. Now, I believe it is lost.

I wonder what should I do? I have a job starting next Friday. Should I go ahead re-apply and pay 385$ & request expedite or should I request for re-issue due to improper delivery? I opened a case w/ USCIS but if the shipping label said it was delivered, will USCIS do anything further to assit me or just tell me re-apply?

Any advice or experiences are much appreciate.

Edited by keobong

11/16/2012: Sent the pack to NBC

11/21/2012: Text rec'd package

11/24/2012: Priority Date- NOA's receipts

12/03/2012: Biometric Appointment Received- Schedule to 12/19/2012

12/04/2012: Biometric Walk-in Successful, Chicago Office

12/10/2012: Request Expedite EAD

12/12/2012: Approval EAD, rec'd emails & text.

12/18/2012: EAD card sent

12/20/2012: EAD tracking said it was delivered.. still not rec'd.

Filed: Timeline

I would say try to get in touch with USCIS and tell them the story and see if they are willing to work with you and re-send a new one. I feel, if USCIS receipt says it got delivered, they might not going to issue you a new one but its worth a shot. In terms of reapplying, I am even more skeptic though because if in their system you got your EAD, that is valid for one year. They many not issue you a new one saying the one they sent out has not even expired yet so it is neither a "first time EAD card" nor a "renew EAD". But maybe some others will come up here who had similar experiences, or heard more on this. For now, I would call USCIS up asking them, but also I would push the post office a bit more as whehter they had a new person delivering mails, if it never landed in your mailbox, but it is not in the post office, it has to be in the truck of the employee who was delivering mails and maybe he just hasn't taken the undelivered mails back to the post office yet, or he didn't look around and your envelop is sitting in the truck waiting for better days yet to come. So, I would nudge the post office, and call USCIS to ask for info. All the best, hope to hear in a day or two that you actually got the one sent out earlier in the mail!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Well, you said you "opened a case with USCIS". What did they tell you? It HAS to be signed for to be delivered if it's registered mail (I'm pretty sure I had to sign something to get it)... so I would request a letter from USPS stating it was their error, incorrect delivery or whatever so hopefully USCIS will be able to just generate a new card (unlikely in time though).

You shouldn't have to pay the fee, but you will most likely need to wait again (if you can't find it). And it's not assured that they'll expedite it because they won't see the loss as "their issue".

Personally i would file an address change because delivery like that isn't secure and what about your greencard? If they deliver that, that's $455 to replace. i would get a PO Box for immigration mail.

Make an INFOPASS asap, go with whatever letter or email from USPS you can get proving it was USPS' fault, and hope they can help you out somehow.

Thank you for ur reply. I have been talking to the post office in-person and calling customer affair to make a claim but they keep telling it is not in their office and they clear the truck everyday. Does anyone know if that's true? It has been 8 days since it is said to be delivered.... I am going crazy w/ the fact that uscis send important document w/ a priority mail, no signature required.

I would say try to get in touch with USCIS and tell them the story and see if they are willing to work with you and re-send a new one. I feel, if USCIS receipt says it got delivered, they might not going to issue you a new one but its worth a shot. In terms of reapplying, I am even more skeptic though because if in their system you got your EAD, that is valid for one year. They many not issue you a new one saying the one they sent out has not even expired yet so it is neither a "first time EAD card" nor a "renew EAD". But maybe some others will come up here who had similar experiences, or heard more on this. For now, I would call USCIS up asking them, but also I would push the post office a bit more as whehter they had a new person delivering mails, if it never landed in your mailbox, but it is not in the post office, it has to be in the truck of the employee who was delivering mails and maybe he just hasn't taken the undelivered mails back to the post office yet, or he didn't look around and your envelop is sitting in the truck waiting for better days yet to come. So, I would nudge the post office, and call USCIS to ask for info. All the best, hope to hear in a day or two that you actually got the one sent out earlier in the mail!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

i say start with every single member of staff at the building, as it's rarely the same person at the front desk each day on each hour.

Your karma may be skewed , though... see http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=124821

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

The USCIS representative just told me to wait 15 days for further notice. The priority mail that USCIS sent requires only delivery confirmation which mean the post man can just scan it , no need signature from the receiver. I receive every single mail that USCIS sent me but this one just disappears :( USPS local post office does not accept that it was their fault. They said they delivered it. I asked who made the delivery and who signed and they just said they can't keep in touch w/ the temporary hire anymore.

I initially requested expediting my EAD due to financial loss,My husband is unemployment and we have lots of overdue bills so I was approved to start my job in Jan 4th. Now it's so frustrating. About the changing address, I will take your advise. I never have such problem.

Well, you said you "opened a case with USCIS". What did they tell you? It HAS to be signed for to be delivered if it's registered mail (I'm pretty sure I had to sign something to get it)... so I would request a letter from USPS stating it was their error, incorrect delivery or whatever so hopefully USCIS will be able to just generate a new card (unlikely in time though).

You shouldn't have to pay the fee, but you will most likely need to wait again (if you can't find it). And it's not assured that they'll expedite it because they won't see the loss as "their issue".

Personally i would file an address change because delivery like that isn't secure and what about your greencard? If they deliver that, that's $455 to replace. i would get a PO Box for immigration mail.

Make an INFOPASS asap, go with whatever letter or email from USPS you can get proving it was USPS' fault, and hope they can help you out somehow.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We had a parcel misdirected by USPS about 2 years ago. After getting the run around by the post office staff we wrote a letter to the Post Master asking them to verify exactly where and to whom the item was delivered. It was 'supposed' to be delivered to our address but the 'time' of the delivery did not correspond to when the Postal truck was in our area. They tracked down 'where' the postal truck was at that time, went back and retrieved the parcel from where it was mis-directed and we went to the post office to pick it up, not trusting them to 'deliver ' it again. So, try writing to the Post Master, explain the consequences of their faulty delivery and ask them to re-trace exactly what happened with the parcel. Have them accept responsibility - and at the very least, request that if they are not able to retrieve the misdirected letter, that they cover the cost of a replacement EAD. You can find out what the replacement cost is from USCIS. Our Post Master did agree that if they weren't able to retrieve our package, they would pay for it to be replaced and reshipped. You may be able to get the same sort of attention - but the Post Master has to be the one who makes that commitment, not the postal employee. Good luck.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Vanessa: it's interesting...my mail was not registered, and I did not have to sign anything at all. I just got home and the envelope was a regular envelope waiting for me in the mailbox. o.O

The USCIS representative just told me to wait 15 days for further notice. The priority mail that USCIS sent requires only delivery confirmation which mean the post man can just scan it , no need signature from the receiver. I receive every single mail that USCIS sent me but this one just disappears :( USPS local post office does not accept that it was their fault. They said they delivered it. I asked who made the delivery and who signed and they just said they can't keep in touch w/ the temporary hire anymore.

I initially requested expediting my EAD due to financial loss,My husband is unemployment and we have lots of overdue bills so I was approved to start my job in Jan 4th. Now it's so frustrating. About the changing address, I will take your advise. I never have such problem.

So, I may be dumb but I am just wondering...if you have the approval letter that your EAD card has been approved, meaning you are allowed to work, do you still have to have immediately the physical EAD card before you start work? Because I am thinking maybe you could start your work on the 4th with no problem just take in your approval letter that tells you that it's approved (or simply print out the webpage of USCIS where it says that your card has been ordered/delivered) and tell your workplace that you're in the process of tracking down your EAD card, or if needed, replace it and get it again. I think you could work then even if you don't have at the very moment your card itself. Hm?

Timeline

So, I may be dumb but I am just wondering...if you have the approval letter that your EAD card has been approved, meaning you are allowed to work, do you still have to have immediately the physical EAD card before you start work? Because I am thinking maybe you could start your work on the 4th with no problem just take in your approval letter that tells you that it's approved (or simply print out the webpage of USCIS where it says that your card has been ordered/delivered) and tell your workplace that you're in the process of tracking down your EAD card, or if needed, replace it and get it again. I think you could work then even if you don't have at the very moment your card itself. Hm?

This wouldn't work because the letter isn't enough for the I-9. She needs the actual card to be legal to work.

OP, I am very sure the temp employee at usps delivered your EAD to the wrong person/address.

Having had a large circle of friends working at usps, complains of temps losing mails is very rampant.

Let's hope or pray the 'wrong recipient' sees it doesn't belong to them and s/he puts it back into the mail system(hopefully unopened!).

Then hope/pray the regular mail carrier will find it and re-diliver to you. This happens all the time and hope this the case with your EAD.

Goodluck!

Iron Sharpen Iron!

Timeline

Ok...I'm clearly dumb! ;) Thanks for the clarification, Vanessa!:) And I'll just keep my mouth shut (or rather, my fingers off the keyboard). :)

It was a good idea and I wish for her sake it would work... it's just amazing that there's no signature. I think maybe the signature I'm remembering is for the GC? What a pain.

It was a good idea and I wish for her sake it would work... it's just amazing that there's no signature. I think maybe the signature I'm remembering is for the GC? What a pain.

Hmm...maybe it varies from region to region how they are sending these out? For my GC I did not have to again sign anything, I just got home from work and it was waiting for me in the mailbox....o.O Oh well...hopefully, the OP will be lucky and gets his/her EAD soon....*fingers and toes crossed* :)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

:thumbs:on PO or PMB.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.