emmajuly2013

K-1 visa timeline and tips for how to speed up the process

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am living in Guatemala where my fiance currently is. I have about 6 months left here in Guatemala until I return home to the States as my service term as a Peace Corps volunteer will be finished. My fiance (a Guatemalan) and I want to get married in the States as soon as my service is over, in late July of 2013. We are barely turning in the I-129F initial Petition for Alien Finance Visa. We thought we were good for time but in looking at timelines here on this site we maybe 2 to 3 months behind already.

Help!

All tips on how to speed up this process?

We really want to have this wedding for the end of July 2013.

Realistically, is 6 months enough time to complete the fiance visa application process?

Thank you so much for any help/warnings/words of wisdom/etc. you can provide us.

sincerely,

EmmaJuly2013

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Honestly 6 months for the total process is not likely at all. At most 7 to 8. Good luck on your Journey!!!

Our Timeline
Started Talking as friends 7/2011
Became a couple 1/2012
Met in Canada 5/2012
Propsed as I knew she was the woman for me 5/3/2012.
Sent K-1 Off to the Chicago Lockbox 6/11/2012
NoA 1 6/13/2012
NoA 2 12/19/2012
Embassy Intervew 02/07/2013 (APPROVED)
Visa Recieved 2/14/2013
CFO Seminar 2/15/2013
Flight 3/1/2013 POE Detriot, MI, and then home to NC!!!!

Sent off AoS / EAD / AP Packet 7/19

NoA 1 EAD / AP / AOS 7/23

EAD / AP Card Recieved 9/27.

The wonderful world of the AoS....

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

There is only 1 tip for speeding up the process.

When the packet 3 docs are submitted into the IV unit, ask for an earlier interview date.

OR

once an interview date is assigned, ask the IV unit for an earlier date.

That'll only shave on 3 weeks, at most.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I am living in Guatemala where my fiance currently is. I have about 6 months left here in Guatemala until I return home to the States as my service term as a Peace Corps volunteer will be finished. My fiance (a Guatemalan) and I want to get married in the States as soon as my service is over, in late July of 2013. We are barely turning in the I-129F initial Petition for Alien Finance Visa. We thought we were good for time but in looking at timelines here on this site we maybe 2 to 3 months behind already.

Help!

All tips on how to speed up this process?

Can not be done, unless you enlist and head for the front lines.

We really want to have this wedding for the end of July 2013.

Ain't gonna happen.

Realistically, is 6 months enough time to complete the fiance visa application process?

No, 9-12 months is more realistic.

Thank you so much for any help/warnings/words of wisdom/etc. you can provide us.

sincerely,

EmmaJuly2013

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

it will be close,there is no guarintee you be in the united states by july ,there can be any to go wrong a rfe, for example,...see if GUATEMALA, has DCF, if they do you say you was there over 6 months then you can get married there file at the consulate in thre or four months you should be approved,and less money, green card,and have a wedding ceremoney in the united states, check it out.

If you really want to have the wedding on a specific date, get married first and then file the petition for a spouse. Otherwise, file the fiancé(e) petition and plan on the wedding happening once the visa is in your fiancé's hands.

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

It is not impossible, but very unlikely to get it all done in 6 months.

Why is July so important? If you tell us more, we may be able to offer solutions. For example:

- if you want to travel to the USA together, see if you can get a tourist visa to stay in Guatemala until he has his visa, or come back for him when he has it.

- If there is a sentimental reason attached to July, either get married in Guatemala in July 2013, then file for a CR-1 spousal visa (which is also cheaper and means he can work as soon as he gets to the USA), or do a quickly legal wedding once he has his K1, then plan the big wedding reception and religious blessing for July 2014.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I'm gonna guess that she's got her head wrapped around her airticket departure date, somehow.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

I'm gonna guess that she's got her head wrapped around her airticket departure date, somehow.

Good perception. But I hope they did not make any airline reservations yet.

Filed: Timeline

thank you so much for your replies. I guess we were little naive to think we could get this paperwork completed with this time frame. The desire to have the wedding in July has little to do with tickets or even sentimental reasons and more to do with practicality for our family members. A brother on my side of the family and a sister on his side both have many work conflicts in the autumn and winter months, leaving us with July as the ideal month for them. Plus I will be finishing a good here in Guatemala, which is my livelihood here in this country, thus "in theory" it would be great to be able to finish that and start up a new chapter right away. We have not put money down on anything yet, tickets or otherwise wedding related things. We felt it unwise to do this with this visa process business. However both sides of our families are anxious and somewhat pressuring us to set dates and make plans because it would be easier for them and for those whom we will invite to celebrate with us.

Perhaps we should just start and see how long it takes us then do as Penguin_ie said and have a small legal wedding and give us time to plan a big party for some time the following year.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Honduras
Timeline

You could get married in Guatemala, then file the I-130 for the spousal visa, then have a ceremony in the USA for all of your family and friends (vow renewal, of sorts). The plus side of the CR-1 visa is that he gets his green card when he gets to the USA and doesn't have to adjust status. If I had to go back and redo my husband's visa, I would have filed for the CR-1 instead of the K-1.

El destino me ha unido a vos.

I-129F K1 Visa Process
[01.18.2012] Sent I-129F Petition
[01.20.2012] NOA1
[06.13.2012] NOA2 - no RFE's
[07.09.2012] Petition received at NVC; case number assigned
[07.11.2012] Petition sent to Honduras consulate
[07.13.2012] Consulate received petition package
[08.07.2012] Received interview date & Packet 4 in email
[10.10.2012] Interview smile.png - APPROVED!
[10.18.2012] POE Houston
[10.29.2012] Marriage <3

I-485 AOS Process
[12.14.2012] Sent I-485 Package with I-765
[12.19.2012] NOA1
[12.24.2012] Biometrics letter received
[01.02.2013] RFE notice
[01.05.2013] RFE hardcopy received
[01.07.2013] Biometrics appointment
[03.04.2013] RFE sent back to USCIS
[03.19.2013] EAD approved
[03.27.2013] EAD arrived in the mail

[09.21.2013] I-485 approved

[09.26.2013] Green card sent in mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

You could get married in Guatemala, then file the I-130 for the spousal visa, then have a ceremony in the USA for all of your family and friends (vow renewal, of sorts). The plus side of the CR-1 visa is that he gets his green card when he gets to the USA and doesn't have to adjust status. If I had to go back and redo my husband's visa, I would have filed for the CR-1 instead of the K-1.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

I agree completely!

If you go the K1 route do not pick a date or make plans until you have the visa in hand! We filed in November and had our wedding in August and that was with no RFE or big delays.

If we had it to do all over again we would also go the CR-1 route instead of K1 only because your spouse will get their green card when they enter - which allows them to work and get a driver's license, travel out of the country etc... Waiting on the AOS and not being able to work or get a driver's license until EAD was issued was tough on my hubby.

K1 Visa                                                                 Adjustment of Status                                                             ROC

Service Center : California Service Center                        CIS Office : Kansas City MO Service Center                           California Service Center

Consulate : Bucharest, Romania

I-129F Sent : 2011-11-18                                 Date Filed : 2012-09-04 Date                            Filed: 2015-05-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-11-23                                      NOA Date : 2012-09-06                                                             NOA1 Date: 2015-05-28

I-129F RFE(s) : none                                              RFE(s) : NONE                                              RFE(s): NONE

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-04-12                                                 Bio. Appt. : 2012-10-03                                                              BIO. Appt.: 2015-09-15

NVC Received : 2012-04-26

NVC Left : 2012-05-10                                           EAD/AP Approved : 2012-11-08                             ROC APPROVED:2015-10-26      

Consulate Received : 2012-05-14                               EAD/AP Card Received : 2012-11-17                         Green card Received: 2015-11-04    

Packet 3 Received : 2012-05-17                                          Green card Approved : 2013-07-08                        NO INTERVIEW

Packet 3 Sent : 2012-05-20                                                    NO INTERVIEW

Interview Date : 2012-06-26                                                 Green Card Received : 2013-07-15

Interview Result : Approved                                                 

Visa Received : 2012-06-26                                                   

US Entry : 2012-07-05

Marriage : 2012-08-24

N-400 Naturalization:

04/25/2016 N-400 sent to USCIS AZ courier address thru FedEx

05/04/2106 NOA I-797 Receipt Notice Date
05/27/2016 Fingerprints Bio-metrics appointment date
06/08/2016 E-notification of interview scheduling
06/13/2016 Received official letter regarding interview
07/18/2016 Date of Interview
08/11/2016 Date Oath Ceremony
Field Office: Kansas City, MO

event.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

No speeding here for this, don't make solid plans for anything.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.