Regan L

Certificate of Birth Abroad

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I just went through getting a CRBA myself in December. The best advice I can give if you want to avoid the DNA test is bring as much evidence of your relationship as possible. It may have helped that I was also present for the interview. Either way I will list everything I provided. I would also like to point out that conception occurred before my marriage(but after engagement), but due to my compelling evidence I was not ordered for a DNA test.

I provided for evidence:

Receipt of engagement ring

Passport stamps showing I had been in the country a significant time before and after conception(since you cant be there have her bring a photocopy of the pages showing this)

Medical records documenting the estimated date of conception(ultrasound pictures from 10 weeks, 5months, and 7 months all giving the same estimate within a few days and maternity records)

A series of approx. 10 pictures of me and my wife in various places which took place before conception(placed in chronological order). Im not sure he even looked at them.

I presented everything in a very organized manner. I honestly thing the biggest factor is going to be how comfortable and relaxed she seems to the CO. If she seems really nervous they start suspecting something may not be accurate. She will also want to be sure that she brings evidence that you qualify to give the baby citizenship. I didnt have any of this with me(didnt expect this when I packed my bags to go see my baby girl born) and MOST of my interview was him confirming I had resided at least 5 years within the US. I over-provided information to every inquiry which reassures him it is genuine. He actually cut me off at one point and said "ok ok thats good enough". Now the guy I had was serious about his interview but they are people too and a few simple injections of humor really opened him up and he was more personable. At the end of the interview he just told me "ok its all set" and at that point I had to ask "so is there going to be a need for a DNA test?" and he just told me "no I believe you are the father". So I'd conclude that its really what you say and how you present the answer that it has to really convince him. Be sure your wife appears confident, not fidgeting or nervous.

If you plan to apply for the passport at the time the CRBA is applied, if you are not present she will need a notarized "Statement of consent or special circumstances: issuance of a passport to a minor under age 16" DS-3053. Without permission from both parents, they will NOT process the passport application(I had this happen to me because while my wife was present she doesnt have an ID that the embassy would acknowledge). I signed the CRBA, but the passport still not done until I go back in feb.

If they do order the DNA test, she and the baby could head to st. lukes and get swabbed while still in town. You could then go to an approved facility near you(they have a list somewhere I dont recall where though) to be swabbed and then they'll put the results all together in st. lukes. I know this takes time but if they order the DNA test nothing else can be done at that point.

i have everything you said plus other things, its weird because i even have the wedding ring reciept too. All the important documents are notarized and i have already gotten the statement of consent signed and notarized. Plus she already has her spouse visa with me, and we were married when we had Liara our daughter.

i have everything you said plus other things, its weird because i even have the wedding ring reciept too. All the important documents are notarized and i have already gotten the statement of consent signed and notarized. Plus she already has her spouse visa with me, and we were married when we had Liara our daughter.

Then she may not be required for DNA coz like u said u are already married to her.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Then she may not be required for DNA coz like u said u are already married to her.

i thought with just the via alone it would be ok. like seriously, that proves we are married and together on the day of our marriage. And she had untrasound pics to show she got pregnant after our wedding. So with her Spousal visa, isnt that irrefutable?

my main point is that i dont want them to request a dna test because that would cost lots of time and money i dont have when i know that that is my daughter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.