Jane8

Affidavit of Support was sent before receiving NOA2

31 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline

Hello everyone.

Weeks ago, I received the instructions from the US Embassy here in Greece. Amongst other documents, they asked for the I-134 form too (my partner's dad is our co-sponsor). Our lawyers though, told me that they sent the Affidavit of Support when they sent the I-129 package at the beginning of the process. Reading the instructions, I understood that I will need to have that form with me during the interview.

The lawyers though told me that it doesn't matter if I don't have it with me that day, since they will already have it in their system plus the fact that they can't send it to me since it is confidential between them and their client.

What's your opinion on that? I'm planning to call the Embassy and schedule my interview pretty soon and I don't want to have any kind of problems.

Thank you all!

Your I-129f was approved in 85 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 225 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS

NOA1: 07/18/13

Biometrics: 08/13/13

EAD/AP approved: 09/17/13

AOS Interview: 10/10/13 (approved)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Why don't you fill out an updated Affidavit of Support and bring it with you?

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Timeline

Why don't you fill out an updated Affidavit of Support and bring it with you?

Βecause the attorneys told me there wasn't a reason to send an updated version of it and that they never had problems every time they sent the I-134 with the petition at the beginning.

AOS

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Βecause the attorneys told me there wasn't a reason to send an updated version of it and that they never had problems every time they sent the I-134 with the petition at the beginning.

If you believe what the lawyers said why are you asking here?

You can just wait to see what happens at the interview. It isnt your 134 anyway if its you that is interviewed so you cant fill it out. If they dont have it or its out of date they will deny the visa until you can get the 134 from the USC.

The 134 is part of the P 3 requirement by the embassy. Submitting it early may mean its out of date depending on how long the case took to get to the embassy. Your lawyers are gambling with your future. You can see by the lawyers responce they arent responcible to you because you arent the client. Convienent isnt it.

Edited by Ning

Timeline

Ι'm asking here because I trust you guys much more!

AOS

Timeline

Ι'm asking here because I trust you guys much more!

No you dont. You just realised you arent the lawyers client so they dont care about you. You want the opinions of independent people but when you get it you dont want to accept it. You cant be helped in this way.

Just go to your interview and see what happens. You can then adjust from there. The worst that can happen is the loss of time or I suppose an outright denial.

Timeline

No you dont. You just realised you arent the lawyers client so they dont care about you. You want the opinions of independent people but when you get it you dont want to accept it. You cant be helped in this way.

Just go to your interview and see what happens. You can then adjust from there. The worst that can happen is the loss of time or I suppose an outright denial.

Ummm...seriously...are you reading again what you're writing? Or maybe not?

Which part of me exactly doesn't want to be helped or can't accept your ''help'' here?

I started this thread to share what my attorneys told me even after I questioned their tactic of the I-134 form. If I had completely accepted their opinion and way of action, then obviously I shouldn't been writing this post right now, just of the sake of posting something here. I said that the attorneys told me that there wasn't any point in sending an updated form of the Affidavit, because that's exactly what their answer was, without saying anywhere if I agree or not. It was just what they told me, therefore I was asking for some opinions from members of the VJ forum.

AOS

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

there's a simple answer to this thread, contact the petitioner, get a copy of the 134 from the petitioner and take it with you to the interview. problem solved. redundancy in this matter will either be 100% useless or 100% helpful.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

This is what it says on the Athens consulate website: http://athens.usembassy.gov/required_documentation2.html

Affidavit of Support (I-134) for K-Visas only!

An applicant for a K or V visa is required to file an Affidavit of Support, form I-134 at the time of the interview proofing that he or she is not likely at any time to become a public charge.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I think you received such a reply because you asked for help and when someone responded with helpful information advising you to update the information and take it with you so you will have it at the interview, you said you didn't want to do that because the lawyer said you didn't need to.

After all the waiting and hard work and all the money spent on the filing, and the attorney (which I assume is expensive), and the money that will be spent on medical, police report, etc..... doesn't it make sense to "better to be safe than sorry"? Why take the risk? Take the advice!

Timeline

Ummm...seriously...are you reading again what you're writing? Or maybe not?

Which part of me exactly doesn't want to be helped or can't accept your ''help'' here?

I started this thread to share what my attorneys told me even after I questioned their tactic of the I-134 form. If I had completely accepted their opinion and way of action, then obviously I shouldn't been writing this post right now, just of the sake of posting something here. I said that the attorneys told me that there wasn't any point in sending an updated form of the Affidavit, because that's exactly what their answer was, without saying anywhere if I agree or not. It was just what they told me, therefore I was asking for some opinions from members of the VJ forum.

I couldnt be anymore serious. Well I could but you really wouldnt like it. You simply want to ignore what applies to your situation.

The 134 form isnt yours. It is submitted by you after being filled out by the USC. Its is submitted as part of the P 3 which YOU are required to take care of. Your fiances lawyers are circumventing the proceedures and you are supposed to accept that as correct or so they say. The 134 is submitted at the interview by YOU. Why do you suppose they require you to do so? Could it be that they require a current 134 and not something that is outdated? Will they reject the one submitted many many months before? Who designed these proceedures?

You were advised to take a current copy of the 134 to the interview. You rejected that advise saying the lawyer said not to. The lawyer that said they cant give you a copy which is correct. You either have to take a current copy or hope the lawyers are right.

Read TJ & JRs opinion again. Then decide who you trust.

I agree with what TJandJR and Ning said. It cannot hurt to redo the I-134 documents and gather all the required information for it when you have the interview. If they ask for updated I-134 documents then you have them, if they do not ask for them well it is better to be safe then sorry. In dealing with immgration issues it is better to be safe then sorry because the sorry could lead to not getting the visa or not getting the visa when you thought you would get it. Good luck.

AOS Journey

11-04-2011 sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

11-07-2011 delivered

11-08-2011 Date on text messages but did not receive until 11-22-2011

11-23-2011 Check cashed.

11-25-2011 Hard copies of NOA1s

12-06-2012 Pui's Brother unexpectly passes away and we make an info pass appointment and receive an emergancy AP so she can return home. Pui leaves for Thailand for 2 weeks.

12-06-2012 Get a text message and email that she received an RFE

12-12-2012 RFE for original birth certificate. I swear we sent it along with a certificate translation of it.

12-20-2012 Pui returns from Thailand.

12-21-2012 We send the RFE back for with original birth certificate along with a new certificate of translation(I had to wait for her to return for her to sign)

12-26-2012 text and email they have received the RFE.

12-29-2012 Appointment for biometrics is 01-23-2012

01-13-2012 AP is approved.

01-23-2012 Biometrics appointment. Later during the evening the text and email saying the EAD is approved.

01-31-2012 EAD/AP combo card arrives.

05-22-2012 Email and text card is in production!

Timeline

Guys...I wasn't trying to offend anyone or not accept your help. That's exactly the reason I started this thead.

It seemed strange to me that the laywers were so sure about not having to get an updated form of the papers (that's why I posted their response as it was, and you thought I agreed with them).

I had done some research beforehand and knew that all the papers had to be as up to date as possible and your answers justified it as well, so I confronted them and still waiting for their response. I also sent an email to the Embassy and it's up to them now to tell me what to do next.

AOS

Timeline

I agree with what TJandJR and Ning said. It cannot hurt to redo the I-134 documents and gather all the required information for it when you have the interview. If they ask for updated I-134 documents then you have them, if they do not ask for them well it is better to be safe then sorry. In dealing with immgration issues it is better to be safe then sorry because the sorry could lead to not getting the visa or not getting the visa when you thought you would get it. Good luck.

I agree with you too, completely! I am a control freak and I wouldn't risk my visa process for anything.

But if I do actually have to fill in a new I-134, and the lawers say that they cannot send it to me due to private financial info of their client, what about then? Can I just directly ask for permission from my fiance and his dad since he's our co-sponcor?

AOS

I agree with you too, completely! I am a control freak and I wouldn't risk my visa process for anything.

But if I do actually have to fill in a new I-134, and the lawers say that they cannot send it to me due to private financial info of their client, what about then? Can I just directly ask for permission from my fiance and his dad since he's our co-sponcor?

Yes, you would need to speak with your fiance to get the info from him and his Dad. Sounds like your lawyer is your fiance's lawyer.

AOS Journey

11-04-2011 sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

11-07-2011 delivered

11-08-2011 Date on text messages but did not receive until 11-22-2011

11-23-2011 Check cashed.

11-25-2011 Hard copies of NOA1s

12-06-2012 Pui's Brother unexpectly passes away and we make an info pass appointment and receive an emergancy AP so she can return home. Pui leaves for Thailand for 2 weeks.

12-06-2012 Get a text message and email that she received an RFE

12-12-2012 RFE for original birth certificate. I swear we sent it along with a certificate translation of it.

12-20-2012 Pui returns from Thailand.

12-21-2012 We send the RFE back for with original birth certificate along with a new certificate of translation(I had to wait for her to return for her to sign)

12-26-2012 text and email they have received the RFE.

12-29-2012 Appointment for biometrics is 01-23-2012

01-13-2012 AP is approved.

01-23-2012 Biometrics appointment. Later during the evening the text and email saying the EAD is approved.

01-31-2012 EAD/AP combo card arrives.

05-22-2012 Email and text card is in production!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.