maybeifancyu

SSN didn't remove my restriction

5 posts in this topic

I went to change my name after I got my GC but they didn't seem to remove my restriction which says for work only with DHS authorization.

Is it a big deal.

You have the DHS authorization in the form of the GC so I would say no. It is only a big deal if soeone does not understand what constitutes as DHS authorization. Since the GC is a LIST A item, I would show them that and then rattle off the SSN and not show them the card unless they really, really give me a good reason. I had one employer insist on seeing my SSC after I showed them my US passport--I had to tell them that it was back in a safe place in my home state. We will remove that restriction on my wife's SSC when and if she gets her citizenship. Funny thing is at the DMV we were told we could get that removed and I told her I did not want to wait in line for 4 hours at the SSA office.

The number is the important thing. You have the DHS authorization. This is a personal choice as some people MUST have that removed and there are those of us who could careless what is written on the SSC. You might want to check to see if they have your status correct as a LPR now or you can wait until you get USC and update your status then. YMMV.

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Filed: Timeline

I don't really want to go back and check if they have me as a LPR... Is it going to be a problem though?

I just want to make sure that it won't make any difference if I can just show my green card. The officers worked there didn't seem to know what they were doing and I don't want to bother arguing. If it is okay for me to wait until I'm a USC, I'd rather wait. Just need to confirm that it's ok?

I don't really want to go back and check if they have me as a LPR... Is it going to be a problem though?

I just want to make sure that it won't make any difference if I can just show my green card. The officers worked there didn't seem to know what they were doing and I don't want to bother arguing. If it is okay for me to wait until I'm a USC, I'd rather wait. Just need to confirm that it's ok?

Wait until you are a USC then go back and ream them a new one as they are now working for you. Whether you are a LPR or not in their database should not matter as you can show the GC. This might be one thing you can check on the phone sometime at work when it is slow and you can be on hold forever.

Anyway, I would just wait until you get USC and then deal with them--that is what we are going to do.

Dave

Filed: Timeline

Wait until you are a USC then go back and ream them a new one as they are now working for you. Whether you are a LPR or not in their database should not matter as you can show the GC. This might be one thing you can check on the phone sometime at work when it is slow and you can be on hold forever.

Anyway, I would just wait until you get USC and then deal with them--that is what we are going to do.

Dave

Alright, thanks! That makes me feel better because I really don't like waiting at SSA or dealing with them (although it's better than DMV).

Well I wish I could check on the phone at work, but I don't have a job - never had one (still in college and going to graduate school next year). I'm actually hoping that I won't ever have to work, as I observe the traditional gender roles and am very content being a housewife! LOL

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.