berber_wife

Should we apply for K1 now or wait a year?

97 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Seeing that the majority of the ppl who post in this forum are not "deadbeats" I'm not even sure why a few here took offense to that. Generally ppl don't get offended by things they are confident they are not. By deadbeat I meant not working or working very minimally, not paying their bills, living off of others, not taking care of their kids, etc. We have seen those types in this forum. I used that example as a contrast to those who need a co-sponsor but are working towards bettering their lives.

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

With respect to all that were on here for years and years I continually thank GOD for this site.

But the posts were off subject and seemed like geared towards my suggestion of OP going to live with her SO, it progressed to being extreme, a lesson on there are few and far between that have the financial ability to just move to another country, then and I am quoting you...flooring you "at the number of grown women in this forum that suggest shirking adult responsibilities in favor of chasing after lurve and emotions. Not just grown like over 40, kids, the whole she-bang grown. Suggesting that people become a burden on others or having others take responsibility for their choices is a ridiculous suggestion."

Yes it read like the underlying way of throwing jabs but not saying it straight out. Leaving the door open to retract and claim some are too sensitive or cannot accept different views.

The "few" that might have taken offense on here just had there husbands join them after a good fight/long wait, are over 40 with children and might not appreciate the negative word of deadbeat while they attempt to adjust and maybe search for work.

Dont know and dont care anymore

Just hope OP does the correct thing and has a good journey

This is allllll off subject including mine so I will stop

event.png

event.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Inluv I certainly see the benefit of your suggestion to move to Morocco and I was actually wanting and planning to do that...but my S/O thinks it would be more valuable for me to stay here and get my career started, which means we can get married and he in turn, can get his career started. After a fair amount of discussion, I see his point. Staying in Morocco for a few more years while knowing the ultimate goal would be to move to the US would leave him in a weird lingo where he couldn't move his career forward on either continent.

So that's where we are right now. I'm relaunching my US job search (I may actually be close to the offer stage with this one organization, but I'm trying not to be overly optimistic), as well as checking out grad school to become more marketable. We're also researching various immigration options. It's unlikely (though not impossible) that we'll be able to get married this year so we are looking at getting married sometime in spring/summer 2014. If we have to wait that long, I will fight tooth and nail to scrape up enough money and vacation time to visit him in Morocco and spend more time with his family-after all, I'm sure they will want to get to know their future in-law better! Maybe I'll even learn so basic Berber by then.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I'm sure I'll be back at some point with more questions, but for the moment, I really need to read VJ completely and consult with some lawyer types.

9/2011: Met in Morocco

12/2011: Trip to Europe together

1/2012: My trip to his hometown

11/2012: His first trip to USA

1/2014: His second trip to USA

3/2014: Married

Adjusting from a B visa

6/25/2014: Sent AOS package (I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131)

6/28/2014: Package received at Chicago Lockbox

7/2/2014: Text and email notifications

7/2/2014: Checks cashed

7/8/2014: Hard copy NOAs received

7/25/2014: Biometrics appointment

7/25/2014: RFE for foreign birth certificate

7/26/2014: RFE responded to

7/30/2014: RFE response received

8/14/2014: Status changed to "Testing and Interview"

8/29/2014: EAD and AP card production ordered

9/10/2014: EAD and AP card received

9/27/2014: Interview letter received

9/29/2014: SS card applied for

10/4/2014: SS card received

10/28/2014: Interview - approved pending final background check; online status updated that night

11/1/2014: Welcome letter

11/4/2014: GC in hand

ROC

8/13/2016: Sent I-751 Package

8/15/2016: Package received at CSC

8/17/2016: Check cashed

8/19/2016: NOA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Inluv I certainly see the benefit of your suggestion to move to Morocco and I was actually wanting and planning to do that...but my S/O thinks it would be more valuable for me to stay here and get my career started, which means we can get married and he in turn, can get his career started. After a fair amount of discussion, I see his point. Staying in Morocco for a few more years while knowing the ultimate goal would be to move to the US would leave him in a weird lingo where he couldn't move his career forward on either continent.

So that's where we are right now. I'm relaunching my US job search (I may actually be close to the offer stage with this one organization, but I'm trying not to be overly optimistic), as well as checking out grad school to become more marketable. We're also researching various immigration options. It's unlikely (though not impossible) that we'll be able to get married this year so we are looking at getting married sometime in spring/summer 2014. If we have to wait that long, I will fight tooth and nail to scrape up enough money and vacation time to visit him in Morocco and spend more time with his family-after all, I'm sure they will want to get to know their future in-law better! Maybe I'll even learn so basic Berber by then.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I'm sure I'll be back at some point with more questions, but for the moment, I really need to read VJ completely and consult with some lawyer types.

You seem to have great plans/options ahead and really wish you the best with your Moroccan!!!! :star:

event.png

event.png

Yeah, no. Even when there's no way to avoid a co-sponsor, just taking off for Morocco to wait out a visa in those kinds of employment and employment prospect situations reads ridiculous and irresponsible. And naive as hell. There are occasional exceptions. There are even less commonly people who have no financial or employment things to think about at all, ever. Those people are few and far between. Crossing fingers in hopes of it all just somehow working out back in the States doesn't fly for most people. Having a co-sponsor you can't avoid having doesn't change any of that. Most co-sponsors won't pay your rent or gas bill. Nor should they. 

The state of employment opportunities for a huge number of MENA immigrants here, even highly educated/trained people isn't exactly awesome, or moneymaking, at least for a good while. Ask the people with lawyer, dr, accountant, etc. spouses trained and employed in MENA how much employers in the States are tripping over themselves to hire them. 

As far as "underlying" ways of throwing jabs - ha! With Mithra what you see is what you get. No subterfuge, no cryptic, hidden messages. 

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Timeline

You're talking about two separate posts. One where I used the term "deadbeat" and one where I talked about women who take off and leave everything just in hopes of getting their man a visa. Not sure where the underlying jab is. I said exactly what I felt, nothing cryptic. If you were offended by that it means what I said struck a chord and perhaps your own choices don't sit well with you 100%. If you weren't offended then good, my intent wasn't to insult you personally. I was speaking in general terms. There have been many, many women who have done what I posted about.

With respect to all that were on here for years and years I continually thank GOD for this site.

But the posts were off subject and seemed like geared towards my suggestion of OP going to live with her SO, it progressed to being extreme, a lesson on there are few and far between that have the financial ability to just move to another country, then and I am quoting you...flooring you "at the number of grown women in this forum that suggest shirking adult responsibilities in favor of chasing after lurve and emotions. Not just grown like over 40, kids, the whole she-bang grown. Suggesting that people become a burden on others or having others take responsibility for their choices is a ridiculous suggestion."

Yes it read like the underlying way of throwing jabs but not saying it straight out. Leaving the door open to retract and claim some are too sensitive or cannot accept different views.

The "few" that might have taken offense on here just had there husbands join them after a good fight/long wait, are over 40 with children and might not appreciate the negative word of deadbeat while they attempt to adjust and maybe search for work.

Dont know and dont care anymore

Just hope OP does the correct thing and has a good journey

This is allllll off subject including mine so I will stop

Timeline

Save your money and do the paperwork yourself. Lawyers often complicate the process. Having an attorney won't guarantee a visa approval. You seem like a smart gal, read the guides and you'll be good. I think it's very wise to take your time, that will help you more than a lawyer. Good luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.