berber_wife

Should we apply for K1 now or wait a year?

97 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hello, I am just dipping a toe in here. I am in a serious relationship with a Moroccan man and I am just starting to gather information about the K1 visa process. We have discussed filing this year and also waiting a year to strengthen our case and I was wondering what people here thought. I think we have a very strong case but I've been reading so many horror stories.

We met when I was on an extended trip through Africa and Europe in Sept. 2011, traveled together in Europe in Dec. 2011, officially became a couple then, I went back to Morocco to meet his family in Jan. of 2012, then we had a looooong period of long-distance and now he's here (on a B1 visa) for a two and a half month extended visit.

Things in our favor:

-We met in person, not online.

-We've met each other families.

-His family and friends like me and my family and friends adore him and approve the relationship.

-We communicate in English and have no communication difficulties.

-He has no communication difficulties with my family and friends.

-We skyped/FB chatted/talked on the phone almost everyday we were long-distance.

-We have met three times since the first meeting.

-Only a small (2 years older than me) age difference.

-I'm a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer (I don't know if that would help but I certainly spent over two years fending off marriage/love proposals from men in a poor African country so I can recognize when a guy is just after a sugar mama/green card.

-We have similar education levels.

-He is gainfully employed and makes more money than most Moroccans.

-Neither of us have been previously married nor do we have any children.

Things I'm worried about:

-(This is the big one) I have been unemployed since returning to the US a year ago, due to the bad economy. I am planning to go back to school to become a teacher and will work part-time during school but I doubt that income would be enough. I can at least point to steady employment between 2009-2011 (Peace Corps). I am reluctant to ask my parents to co-sponsor because they've done so much for me already. I do have assets (IRA) and so does he (owns land).

-We traveled together in Dec. 2011 and I came to Morocco in Jan. 2012 but we don't have many pictures of the visit-my camera had died on me and he hadn't brought his yet. I'm pretty sure I have at least some ticket stubs saved in a box somewhere, but I doubt he kept his. So that's two out of three visits that don't have much documentation.

-He has a history of relationships with foreigners (I don't know if that is really a negative especially since he never got engaged to any of his exs).

-Although my family and friends really like him, they might think we're moving too fast (most of them dated for 3-6 years before getting married; we've only been together for a little over a year). I don't know if that would affect statements of support.

-None of his family speaks English so I can't communicate with them.

-There has been talk about Morocco having an economic crisis this coming year and maybe people would find the timing of our application to be suspect.

-He's Muslim (although a secular one) and I'm agnostic. Our world views and values align almost perfectly and we've had MANY long talks about how to raise children, what role religion will play in our household, etc. But we do have very different religious upbringings.

So our options are to file soon and hope for the best or wait another year. In another year, hopefully I'd have a steadier income, we could save up money for the various expenses involved and my family would have had more time to get used to the idea of me being married. I just don't know if I could do another nine months of seperation, especially when I want us to be able to start our lives together. We've talked about him going to school here, which would be ideal because that would give us a chance to live together before marriage and it would give us more "face time" to point to in our application. But would a J or F visa affect an eventual K1 visa? We've also talked about me moving to Morocco for year or two, but he's not crazy about that idea because he wants us to get our careers on track and start saving money (the only thing I would be qualified to do in Morocco would be teaching English, which pays poorly).

So I guess I am wondering from people who have been through it...do we have a strong case now? Should we wait a year? How realistic are the other options (student visa) for getting him to the US for a year or two?

Thanks!

9/2011: Met in Morocco

12/2011: Trip to Europe together

1/2012: My trip to his hometown

11/2012: His first trip to USA

1/2014: His second trip to USA

3/2014: Married

Adjusting from a B visa

6/25/2014: Sent AOS package (I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131)

6/28/2014: Package received at Chicago Lockbox

7/2/2014: Text and email notifications

7/2/2014: Checks cashed

7/8/2014: Hard copy NOAs received

7/25/2014: Biometrics appointment

7/25/2014: RFE for foreign birth certificate

7/26/2014: RFE responded to

7/30/2014: RFE response received

8/14/2014: Status changed to "Testing and Interview"

8/29/2014: EAD and AP card production ordered

9/10/2014: EAD and AP card received

9/27/2014: Interview letter received

9/29/2014: SS card applied for

10/4/2014: SS card received

10/28/2014: Interview - approved pending final background check; online status updated that night

11/1/2014: Welcome letter

11/4/2014: GC in hand

ROC

8/13/2016: Sent I-751 Package

8/15/2016: Package received at CSC

8/17/2016: Check cashed

8/19/2016: NOA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Hello, I am just dipping a toe in here. I am in a serious relationship with a Moroccan man and I am just starting to gather information about the K1 visa process. We have discussed filing this year and also waiting a year to strengthen our case and I was wondering what people here thought. I think we have a very strong case but I've been reading so many horror stories.

We met when I was on an extended trip through Africa and Europe in Sept. 2011, traveled together in Europe in Dec. 2011, officially became a couple then, I went back to Morocco to meet his family in Jan. of 2012, then we had a looooong period of long-distance and now he's here (on a B1 visa) for a two and a half month extended visit.

Things in our favor:

-We met in person, not online.Not really important

-We've met each other families. excellent

-His family and friends like me and my family and friends adore him and approve the relationship.terrific

-We communicate in English and have no communication difficulties.also good

-He has no communication difficulties with my family and friends.ditto

-We skyped/FB chatted/talked on the phone almost everyday we were long-distance.you can showlogs

-We have met three times since the first meeting.this is good

-Only a small (2 years older than me) age difference.this helps

-I'm a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer (I don't know if that would help but I certainly spent over two years fending off marriage/love proposals from men in a poor African country so I can recognize when a guy is just after a sugar mama/green card.interesting but not important to the USCIS

-We have similar education levels.good

-He is gainfully employed and makes more money than most Moroccans.his income is not important

-Neither of us have been previously married nor do we have any children.a definite plus

-(This is the big one) I have been unemployed since returning to the US a year ago, due to the bad economy. I am planning to go back to school to become a teacher and will work part-time during school but I doubt that income would be enough. I can at least point to steady employment between 2009-2011 (Peace Corps). I am reluctant to ask my parents to co-sponsor because they've done so much for me already. I do have assets (IRA) and so does he (owns land).

-We traveled together in Dec. 2011 and I came to Morocco in Jan. 2012 but we don't have many pictures of the visit-my camera had died on me and he hadn't brought his yet. I'm pretty sure I have at least some ticket stubs saved in a box somewhere, but I doubt he kept his. So that's two out of three visits that don't have much documentation.you only need to show having met in person once in the prior two years before filing. two trips documented is fine

-He has a history of relationships with foreigners (I don't know if that is really a negative especially since he never got engaged to any of his exs).I would not even bring this up anyplace

-Although my family and friends really like him, they might think we're moving too fast (most of them dated for 3-6 years before getting married; we've only been together for a little over a year). I don't know if that would affect statements of support.a year is not too fast many have done this after one visit, unfortunately

-There has been talk about Morocco having an economic crisis this coming year and maybe people would find the timing of our application to be suspect.not your problem

-He's Muslim (although a secular one) and I'm agnostic. Our world views and values align almost perfectly and we've had MANY long talks about how to raise children, what role religion will play in our household, etc. But we do have very different religious upbringings.this may come up in a interview and it would seem he would be perfectly able to answer this question with confidence

So our options are to file soon and hope for the best or wait another year. In another year, hopefully I'd have a steadier income, we could save up money for the various expenses involved and my family would have had more time to get used to the idea of me being married. I just don't know if I could do another nine months of seperation, especially when I want us to be able to start our lives together. We've talked about him going to school here, which would be ideal because that would give us a chance to live together before marriage and it would give us more "face time" to point to in our application. But would a J or F visa affect an eventual K1 visa? We've also talked about me moving to Morocco for year or two, but he's not crazy about that idea because he wants us to get our careers on track and start saving money (the only thing I would be qualified to do in Morocco would be teaching English, which pays poorly).

So I guess I am wondering from people who have been through it...do we have a strong case now? Should we wait a year? How realistic are the other options (student visa) for getting him to the US for a year or two?

Thanks!

As you said, and you seem to have your head screwed on straight about all of this and done your home work, is the money.You must show income above the 125% poverty line for both of you or have a co-sponsor.No way around this. Him coming here with a different visa for a temporary stay should not affect a K1 filing. Getting a visa is another matter.And I think your case, as it stands now, is strong enough.

Things in our favor:

-His family and friends like me and my family and friends adore him and approve the relationship.

-We skyped/FB chatted/talked on the phone almost everyday we were long-distance.

-I'm a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer (I don't know if that would help but I certainly spent over two years fending off marriage/love proposals from men in a poor African country so I can recognize when a guy is just after a sugar mama/green card.

-We traveled together in Dec. 2011 and I came to Morocco in Jan. 2012 but we don't have many pictures of the visit-my camera had died on me and he hadn't brought his yet. I'm pretty sure I have at least some ticket stubs saved in a box somewhere, but I doubt he kept his. So that's two out of three visits that don't have much documentation.

-He has a history of relationships with foreigners (I don't know if that is really a negative especially since he never got engaged to any of his exs).

-Although my family and friends really like him, they might think we're moving too fast (most of them dated for 3-6 years before getting married; we've only been together for a little over a year). I don't know if that would affect statements of support.

-There has been talk about Morocco having an economic crisis this coming year and maybe people would find the timing of our application to be suspect.

-He's Muslim (although a secular one) and I'm agnostic. Our world views and values align almost perfectly and we've had MANY long talks about how to raise children, what role religion will play in our household, etc. But we do have very different religious upbringings.

Thanks!

The only thing I would worry about is not having a job that is well over the poverty guidelines. You might want to check to see if Morocco accepts a co-sponsor for the K-1 visa. That would be the deciding factor for me. If they do not then the only option would be to get married first and file for a spousal visa, CR-1. You could wait until you have a job that is well above the poverty guidelines if you really want to go the K-1 route.

Good luck,

Dave

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

The fact that he got a B2 visa is a plus this rarely happens out of Casa just make sure he closes out his travels by returning to Morocco and as long as you can document your travels together your case overall is strong but for that consulate that may not mean much if you cannot overcome the sponsorship requirements. Someone can add to my post but I only know of one person that was accepted for co-sponsorship out of Casa.

Dating foreigners is a fact that I don't think the documents require disclosures of but it the topic is brought up during the interview he has to address truthfully. They do get access to social media sites...

Good luck

Timeline

Hard Facts

Met in Sept 2011, then Dec.

One trip to Morocco (length of stay?)

Cant communicate with his family

Dont have too many pictures? (do you have ANY for your secondary evidence of being together before your camera died?)

He has a history of relationships with foreigners (That is very vague info...what does that exactly mean?)

Consulate probably doesnt care how many partners in the past he has had...but if it seems he was looking for a way to get out of Morocco via Europe then there is interest

You dont have income for the past year and reluctant to ask your parents to sponsor (will not be sufficient 4 your case)

So I guess I am wondering from people who have been through it...do we have a strong case now?

You probably should focus on "do we have a strong relationship now?" Instead.

You wrote to wait another year to have your parents get used to the idea of you being married... that doesnt read like they approve or even know of your intentions??? Just a guess ...I apologize if I am wrong.

Move to Morocco, get a teaching job (12.50 an hour is not bad) and get to know each other. Then decide.

event.png

event.png

Timeline

Met in Sept 2011, then Dec.

One trip to Morocco (length of stay?) I spent only two weekends with him during the first trip (when we met) but then spent three weeks in January. He's been here in the US for a month and a half, staying for another month. It's not as good as living together, but we have spent so much time together that I really feel we've gotten to know each other.

Cant communicate with his family His family doesn't speak English. I do intend to learn Berber and I can present that to the CO.

Dont have too many pictures? (do you have ANY for your secondary evidence of being together before your camera died?) We have several pictures from our first two weekends. We have no photos from our travels in Europe and we have one or two pictures from my visit to Morocco in Jan. But his family and friends can testify to seeing us together in those places. Would that help? We have tons of pictures from his current visit to the US.

He has a history of relationships with foreigners (That is very vague info...what does that exactly mean?)Consulate probably doesnt care how many partners in the past he has had...but if it seems he was looking for a way to get out of Morocco via Europe then there is interest He dated a few girls from Europe but he never pursued moving to Europe so there wouldn't be any documentation as far as him applying for fiancee visas in the past.

You dont have income for the past year and reluctant to ask your parents to sponsor (will not be sufficient 4 your case) That is my biggest worry and why I think we probably will delay for a yeat.

You wrote to wait another year to have your parents get used to the idea of you being married... that doesnt read like they approve or even know of your intentions??? Just a guess ...I apologize if I am wrong. They love him...they approve of us getting married. They will probably think that a year and a half is too fast b/c they dated for over five years before getting married.

Move to Morocco, get a teaching job (12.50 an hour is not bad) and get to know each other. Then decide. Can you really get teaching jobs for 12.50 if you are not already a teacher??? I heard that the salary is poverty-level, which would not help me save up enough money to sponsor. I do know him very well-15 months isn't a small amount of time, even of much of that was long-distance.

Adjusting from a B visa

10/28/2014: Interview - approved pending final background check; online status updated that night

ROC

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

Things in our favor:

-We met in person, not online. This is not necessarily in your favor, but it might be

-We've met each other families. Good

-His family and friends like me and my family and friends adore him and approve the relationship. Good

-We communicate in English and have no communication difficulties. It's a basic requirement that the couple be able to communicate in a common language - no one gets approved without that

-He has no communication difficulties with my family and friends. Good but not really an issue to the consulate

-We skyped/FB chatted/talked on the phone almost everyday we were long-distance. Good if you have the records to prove it

-We have met three times since the first meeting. Good

-Only a small (2 years older than me) age difference. No problem

-I'm a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer (I don't know if that would help but I certainly spent over two years fending off marriage/love proposals from men in a poor African country so I can recognize when a guy is just after a sugar mama/green card. Your perception may or may not be the perception of the consulate on this

-We have similar education levels. Good

-He is gainfully employed and makes more money than most Moroccans. Good but not really much of an issue to the consulate

-Neither of us have been previously married nor do we have any children. Might make things less complicated, but know that previous marriages and/or children are not red flags in themselves

-(This is the big one) I have been unemployed since returning to the US a year ago, due to the bad economy. I am planning to go back to school to become a teacher and will work part-time during school but I doubt that income would be enough. I can at least point to steady employment between 2009-2011 (Peace Corps). I am reluctant to ask my parents to co-sponsor because they've done so much for me already. I do have assets (IRA) and so does he (owns land). Huge problem here (see below)

-We traveled together in Dec. 2011 and I came to Morocco in Jan. 2012 but we don't have many pictures of the visit-my camera had died on me and he hadn't brought his yet. I'm pretty sure I have at least some ticket stubs saved in a box somewhere, but I doubt he kept his. So that's two out of three visits that don't have much documentation. Ticket stubs alone are no good without photos of you together

-He has a history of relationships with foreigners (I don't know if that is really a negative especially since he never got engaged to any of his exs). Might be a subject of interest for the consulate if they know about it - some beneficiaries have been asked about their prior relationships with foreigners

-Although my family and friends really like him, they might think we're moving too fast (most of them dated for 3-6 years before getting married; we've only been together for a little over a year). I don't know if that would affect statements of support. This may be something that the consulate asks about

-None of his family speaks English so I can't communicate with them. Not a plus, but not a negative either

-There has been talk about Morocco having an economic crisis this coming year and maybe people would find the timing of our application to be suspect. This is something the consulate is probably aware of, and they might ask questions about economic issues, but they are really more concerned with the issues of your specific case and your specific economic issues

-He's Muslim (although a secular one) and I'm agnostic. Our world views and values align almost perfectly and we've had MANY long talks about how to raise children, what role religion will play in our household, etc. But we do have very different religious upbringings. The consulate will probably ask him to explain this part

So our options are to file soon and hope for the best or wait another year. In another year, hopefully I'd have a steadier income, we could save up money for the various expenses involved and my family would have had more time to get used to the idea of me being married. I just don't know if I could do another nine months of seperation, especially when I want us to be able to start our lives together. Almost every single person here has felt the same way - that we couldn't possible stand the separation. But you do what you gotta do. We have couples here who have endured nightmare processes of 4-5 years, with very lengthy painful separations of several years. Their hearts are no less sensitive than yours. A 9 month separation is really insignificant in light of what this immigration process imposes on the couples - that's actually a pretty fast process on the average for MENA cases. Yours might take even longer, or it might be quicker - it depends on many factors. We've talked about him going to school here, which would be ideal because that would give us a chance to live together before marriage and it would give us more "face time" to point to in our application. But would a J or F visa affect an eventual K1 visa? If he came to study in the US and you married while he was here on a student visa, then it would lead to a whole different visa path which I'm not going to comment on, but you can find some discussion about this in other forums. We've also talked about me moving to Morocco for year or two, but he's not crazy about that idea because he wants us to get our careers on track and start saving money (the only thing I would be qualified to do in Morocco would be teaching English, which pays poorly).

Thanks!

OK as far as using assets to satisfy the affidavit of support:

For the K-1 visa: The total net value of assets (minus liens and liabilities against them) must equal five times the difference between the sponsor's income and 125% of the poverty level for the household size

If you are married and filing for a CR-1/IR-1, the total net value of assets must equal three times the difference between the poverty guideline and actual household income.

Assets must be either cash, stocks or bonds, or other property that can be convertible to cash.

Your fiance may not use his assets to satisfy the affidavit of support. If you were married, and the assets were considered joint property, then you might have a way to use some of his cash, etc. as assets to meet the income level required. But again, these assets must be easily convertible to cash, must be removable from the foreign country, and they must meet the five-times-difference level.

So I think your most obvious problem is the affidavit of support. You are either going to need to postpone your petition until you get a job and work long enough to qualify on your own, or - if you're set on filing as soon as possible, then you're going to need a good co-sponsor. Wishing you all the best !

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Things in our favor:

Thanks!

I see you have done your research. A student visa is not a far fetched possibility, Its just time consuming and expensive, but, it would give you the time to get to know each other and, when the time comes he could do an adjustment of status (if you decide to marry).It would not affect K-1 filing, but, since He would be here already, you could just marry and adjust status here, there would be no need for him to go back to his country, and for you to file K-1 and be separated for months and months, it will be a very expensive proposition in both, time and money.

He has a history of relationships with foreigners (I don't know if that is really a negative especially since he never got engaged to any of his exs).

Has any of his ex's filed for immigration benefits on his behalf? If so, It will make it very difficult for him, the embassy will notice a pattern of intent to immigrate

My suggestion: I would suggest that you go straight for the CR-1/IR-1, take advantage of the fact that he is here at the moment and get married. the biggest concern would be your AOS but, you wont need it until you are at the NVC stage. Casablanca is a very difficult embassy to go trough, if you choose go this route you will have this fact working for you:

1 He came to the states, married you and, went back to his country to wait for the visa, since, he could have just stayed and adjust status here, that works to his advantage.

Timeline

He has a B1/B2 combined business/tourist visa. I was under the impression that if someone came to the US on a non-finacee visa and got married while in the US, it would be visa fraud?

As far as his exs, he has never taken any legal action to immigrate.

Adjusting from a B visa

ROC

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

He has a B1/B2 combined business/tourist visa. I was under the impression that if someone came to the US on a non-finacee visa and got married while in the US, it would be visa fraud?

As far as his exs, he has never taken any legal action to immigrate.

Tread very carefully here. Research the discussions on this very topic in the upper forums to determine the legal issues involved.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

There is nothing saying you can not get married and pursue the CR1 for him. If you get married here in the USA and he returns to Morocco before his Visa expires you would not have commited any fraud. And it would be a plus for him that he has left and entered Morocco and did not overstay even though you got married while he was in the USA.

Like the above poster stated thread carefully and get the facts on AOS and him staying in the USA it is an option I am just not sure of the risks involved to advise you on that route.

Edited by hamigirl710

event.png

event.png

Marriage: 7/12/10
Filed I-130: 9/10/12
NOA1: 9/17/12
Transferred to NBC: 9/19/12
Sent to local office for adjudication: 9/21/12
RFE for Beneficiary BC received 12/13/12
Mail BC in response to RFE 12/17/12
NOA2: 12/20/12
NVC case number assigned: 1/29/13
Sent DS-3032 email: 1/31/13
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill: 2/1/13
Pay I-864 Bill: 2/5/13
NVC Accepted DS-3032: 2/12/13
Received IV Bill: 2/13/13
Send Completed I-864: 2/16/13
NVC Received I-864 Package: 2/19/13
AOS Package accepted: 2/26/13
Pay IV Bill: 2/28/13
IV Packet Sent: 3/2/13
NVC Received IV Packet: 3/4/13
Case Completed at NVC: 3/13/13
Interview date: 4/30/13

APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

POE: pending

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

The only thing I would worry about is not having a job that is well over the poverty guidelines. You might want to check to see if Morocco accepts a co-sponsor for the K-1 visa. That would be the deciding factor for me. If they do not then the only option would be to get married first and file for a spousal visa, CR-1. You could wait until you have a job that is well above the poverty guidelines if you really want to go the K-1 route.

Good luck,

Dave

get married in Morocco? i think she has to convert into Islam for that purpose, or use her baptism.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

get married in Morocco? i think she has to convert into Islam for that purpose, or use her baptism.

Convert to Islam to get married? Not true. Baptism for what? This was never brought up at all when I was married there. Didn't your wife get married to you in Morocco also? Did they make her convert to Islam or produce a baptism record?

Strange..

Edited by destiny64

Timeline

FBW

The photos sound good...especially with this last visit here take more everywhere and with all your family members

learning his family's language is so not necessary for CASA

the fact you both speak a common language is enough

Dating a few girls from Europe is just between you and him...I would not mention it again

What a blessing your parents love him and also get to know him while he is in the U.S.

It sounds like you have options...but NOT having a sponsor is not one of them.

Yes I personally volunteered at a school teaching ESL and it was a blast....but dont be mistaken, whatever you might make outside of the U.S. will not count. Talk to your parents if they qualify and approve of ;your relationship, I am sure they will see your happiness shine through.

If it was me....I would personally marry my man file and move back with him. (Living there is simpler and one finds they have less needs) And this way...you both can enjoy your time together waiting out the visa.

I really wish you GL. :star:

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.