Bad_Daddy

Los Angeles police offer gift cards to take guns off streets

68 posts in this topic

IMO, the only thing you could be upset about with the buyback program is where the funding is coming from. As a gun owning taxpayer you may not want your tax dollars to be used this way. Ditto for the non gun owners and those who are anti-gun. But what if the funding was provided privately? I see no problem with this at all. It is purely voluntary and does not infringe upon anyone's rights. If it prevents one shooting, great. Let those that want to participate do so. Let those that don't keep the status quo.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

OK one more time

Is a violent crime rate of 5.28 per 100000 residents higher or lower than a violent crime rate of 4.26 per 100000 residents?

The higher rate is what buybacks (and other strict gun control measures) achieved for Los Angeles.

Is a comparison between two numbers too difficult? This is something to highlight and be proud of?

Yep.. :rofl:

i don't get it.

Filed: Timeline

OK one more time

Is a violent crime rate of 5.28 per 100000 residents higher or lower than a violent crime rate of 4.26 per 100000 residents?

The higher rate is what buybacks (and other strict gun control measures) achieved for Los Angeles.

Is a comparison between two numbers too difficult? This is something to highlight and be proud of?

In a vacuum, no body can smell your farts.

IMO, the only thing you could be upset about with the buyback program is where the funding is coming from. As a gun owning taxpayer you may not want your tax dollars to be used this way. Ditto for the non gun owners and those who are anti-gun. But what if the funding was provided privately? I see no problem with this at all. It is purely voluntary and does not infringe upon anyone's rights. If it prevents one shooting, great. Let those that want to participate do so. Let those that don't keep the status quo.

Ralphs Supermarket donated the cards.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

:rofl: This is bad news for consumers. Supermarkets will have to raise prices to compensate for the donations.

It is a well known fact that 68% of Ralph's Supermarket customers are in favor of higher food prices.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

OK one more time

Are you Justashooter in disguise?

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

http://www.scpr.org/blogs/news/2012/12/26/11721/los-angeles-offers-groceries-guns-annual-buyback-p/

By Joe Mozingo and Wesley Lowery, Los Angeles Times

December 26, 2012, 10:34 p.m.

Organizers and some participants credited collective outrage and anguish over the gun rampage in Newtown, Conn., for the turnout. But motivations were often a bit more complicated.

"That young guy shot up all the kids and they blamed the mama because the mama had the weapons in the house," Valerie Butler said, in explaining why she was waiting in line two hours in South Los Angeles to get rid of an old handgun.

Yet Butler, 50, said she was not getting rid of both of her guns.

"Just one," she said, and laughed. "There's a bunch of nuts out here, and they're coming in when you're sleeping. You got to protect yourself."

Cities across the nation, grasping for ways to react to a series of mass shootings this year, have organized gun buybacks to get weapons off the street.

Many of the drivers said they were turning in their guns because they rarely used them and were eager to snag grocery cards.

"If I could get $100 of free groceries, it's worth it," said Charles Edwards, 60, waiting in line next to his old .22 revolver after driving to Los Angeles from Fontana. "I wouldn't do it for $40. That's why people are here. They feel bad about all that's happening, but times are tough."

He still has a shotgun at home. "That's all I need," he said.

Most of the weapons recovered were "mom and pop guns," police said — hunting rifles, shotguns — but they got a few dozen assault weapons as well.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."