Usui Takumi

David Gregory in trouble with the law - firearm offense

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

I had been following this story for the past few days but didn't post it because it was generally only on right wing sites previously.

My original thoughts were to dismiss it figuring he had special permission...turns out he did not.

Washington police are investigating whether NBC's David Gregory broke the law by holding up what appeared to be a 30-round gun magazine on Sunday's Meet the Press despite being denied permission by police to bring the weaponry on the show.

It is illegal in the district to possess a "large capacity ammunition feeding device."

Gwendolyn Crump, director of the Office of Communications for the Washington Metropolitan Police Department, told ABC News, "NBC contacted MPD inquiring if they could utilize a high capacity magazine for their segment. NBC was informed that possession of a high capacity magazine is not permissible and their request was denied. This matter is currently being investigated."

Another Washington DC police officer and spokesperson Tisha Gant said the situation was "being investigated," but would give no other details including what exactly is under investigation.

A section in the D.C. criminal code says "no person in the District shall possess, sell, or transfer any large capacity ammunition feeding device regardless of whether the device is attached to a firearm." The section stipulates that "the term large capacity ammunition feeding device means a magazine," or similar devices.

Gregory held up what looked like a 30-bullet gun magazine when interviewing the National Rifle Association's executive vice president and CEO Wayne LaPierre on Sunday. Gregory pressed the NRA head on whether fewer children would have been killed during the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting on Dec. 14th if the shooter had access to less ammunition.

http://news.yahoo.com/dc-cops-investigating-whether-nbcs-gregory-violated-gun-170426968--abc-news-politics.html

Edited by Usui Takumi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

this should be interesting to watch develop.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Timeline

No problem. David Gregory should be subject to whatever criminal penalty any other person in the District would be subject to for the same offense. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. The NBC lawyers should have cleared this first, and if Gregory went against their recommendations, putting NBC at legal jeopardy, he should also be disciplined accordingly, dismissed if appropriate.

Good ol NBC. When they aren't editing 911 tapes, and airing their political views on sports shows they up and go ahead and break the law after they were told it was illegal. I wonder what their excuse is this time.

Edited by Bad_Daddy

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."