ktb

Entrance to the US must be within 6 months of when?

8 posts in this topic

I have heard that entrance to the US must be within 6 months or else the process must begin again. But I have also heard that the 6 months starts from the date of the interview and that it starts from when the medical exam takes place. Can anyone verify which it is? Does this vary from country to country? Thanks.

August 2008 - We met (Both living in Egypt)

October 2008 - Moved in together

Sept. 2010 - Engaged (Living together in Cyprus)

June 2011 - Married!

11 July 2012 - I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

20 July 2012 - NOA1 Received (via email)

29 July 2012 - NOA2 Received (I-797)

23 Aug 2012 - NVC Case Number assigned and AOS invoice received (via email)

27 Aug 2012 - AOS bill paid and DS-3032 sent via email

5 Oct 2012 - AOS packet sent

20 Nov 2012 - RFE on AOS packet received

16 Dec 2012 - IV bill paid

25 Jan 2013 - IV packet and AOS RFE response sent

22 Feb 2013 - Case Complete

6 March 2013 - Interview date rec'd

10 April 2013 - Medical Scheduled

12 April 2013 - Interview

01 Oct 2013 - Entered US

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

It is usually from the date the visa is issued (which can be a couple of weeks after the interview). However, sometimes it is less- a medical is valid a maximum of one year. Always make sure to check the expiry date on the visa page of your passport when you get it.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Iam from Philippines. I have a K2. We were interviewed last December 11. On the 13th I received a call from the USEM that our visa is ready for delivery. Saturday, the 15th, I was surprised to received our visas, because I thought it will be delivered the next week. I automatically checked our visas for errors and the expiration dates. Mine is June 10, 2013 while my K2 is May 28, 2013. We had our medical November 28. Go figure. :)

I have heard that entrance to the US must be within 6 months or else the process must begin again. But I have also heard that the 6 months starts from the date of the interview and that it starts from when the medical exam takes place. Can anyone verify which it is? Does this vary from country to country? Thanks.

Several have reported in the UK forum in recent months that London issued visas were for 6 months from their medical date.

The first two FAQs at this link to the London embassy website relate to your question http://london.usembassy.gov/faq-imm-proc.html#iv062

Notice, you don't necessarily have to start over.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

The key date is the expiration date on the visa. You must enter the USA BEFORE that date. Usually, that is six months from the date of issue but for some countries it is from the date of the medical.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Several have reported in the UK forum in recent months that London issued visas were for 6 months from their medical date.

The first two FAQs at this link to the London embassy website relate to your question http://london.usemba...proc.html#iv062

I have read this post and this is why I am asking this question. Do you know if this is only applicable at the London Embassy? My husband is British but we will have our interview at the embassy in Nicosia, Cyprus as we are residing in Cyprus.

Edited by ktb

August 2008 - We met (Both living in Egypt)

October 2008 - Moved in together

Sept. 2010 - Engaged (Living together in Cyprus)

June 2011 - Married!

11 July 2012 - I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

20 July 2012 - NOA1 Received (via email)

29 July 2012 - NOA2 Received (I-797)

23 Aug 2012 - NVC Case Number assigned and AOS invoice received (via email)

27 Aug 2012 - AOS bill paid and DS-3032 sent via email

5 Oct 2012 - AOS packet sent

20 Nov 2012 - RFE on AOS packet received

16 Dec 2012 - IV bill paid

25 Jan 2013 - IV packet and AOS RFE response sent

22 Feb 2013 - Case Complete

6 March 2013 - Interview date rec'd

10 April 2013 - Medical Scheduled

12 April 2013 - Interview

01 Oct 2013 - Entered US

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

The first two FAQs at this link to the London embassy website relate to your question http://london.usemba...proc.html#iv062

I have read this post and this is why I am asking this question. Do you know if this is only applicable at the London Embassy? My husband is British but we will have our interview at the embassy in Nicosia, Cyprus as we are residing in Cyprus.

Procedures as to when the six months starts vary with the visa issuing Consulate. You need to know the procedures for Nicosia, not London. The best practice is to do the medical as near to the interview date as practical, usually within the prior week. If you need more time or to move the six month window to a later slot, delay both the medical and the interview.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.