Bad_Daddy

Israel withholds Palestinian funds after U.N. vote

29 posts in this topic

http://news.yahoo.com/israel-withholds-palestinian-funds-u-n-vote-113933165.html

Reuters – 4 hrs ago

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israel said on Sunday it was withholding this month's transfer of tax revenues to the Palestinian Authority, after the United Nations' de facto recognition of a Palestinian state.

Under interim peace deals, which Israel says the Palestinians violated by unilaterally seeking an upgrade of their status at the United Nations, it collects about $100 million a month in duties on behalf of the authority.

But, Israeli officials said, the authority owes about $200 million to the Israel Electric Corporation, and that money will now be deducted from the tax transfers.

The cash-strapped authority, which exercises limited self-rule in the occupied West Bank, largely depends on the tax money to pay civil servants' salaries. Yasser Abed Rabbo, a senior Palestinian official, said Israel was guilty of "piracy and theft" by refusing to hand over the funds.

Israel has previously frozen payments to the body during times of heightened security and diplomatic tensions, provoking strong international criticism, such as when the U.N. cultural body UNESCO granted the Palestinians full membership a year ago.

"I do not intend this month to transfer the funds to the Palestinians. In the coming period I intend to use the money to deduct debts the Palestinian Authority owes to the Israel Electric Corporation and other bodies," Finance Minister Yuval Steinitz said on Israel Radio.

The U.N. victory for the Palestinians was a diplomatic setback for the United States and Israel, which were joined by only a handful of countries in voting against upgrading the Palestinians' observer status at the U.N. to "non-member state", like the Vatican, from "entity".

Hours after the U.N. vote, Israel said it was authorizing 3,000 new settler homes in the West Bank and East Jerusalem and expediting planning work for thousands more dwellings in a geographically sensitive area close to Jerusalem, which critics said would kill off Palestinian hopes of a viable state.

The United States said the expansion plan, which also drew strong European criticism, was counterproductive to the resumption of Israeli-Palestinian peace talks frozen since 2010.

Edited by Bad_Daddy

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

The U.S. should withhold it's annual foreign aid to Israel and give it directly to to the Palestinians. I'm sure it wont happen, but would be the right thing to do.

I think the US actually threatened to do the exact opposite a week ago.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I think the US actually threatened to do the exact opposite a week ago.

Go figure.... I'm starting to think AIPAC runs this country.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

They should complain to the UN!

:lol:

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Timeline

They should complain to the UN!

Now they can file with the ICC. That will limit the ability of named Israeli government officials from freely traveling outside Israel proper without being subject to arrest for war crimes.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Now they can file with the ICC. That will limit the ability of named Israeli government officials from freely traveling outside Israel proper without being subject to arrest for war crimes.

Yeah that's gonna happen :lol:

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Does this mean certain Israeli officials won't be taking that dream vacation in Yemen after all?

sigbet.jpg

Timeline

Does this mean certain Israeli officials won't be taking that dream vacation in Yemen after all?

That's already the case for certain former Bush officials.

I'm sure they are shaking in their boots at the thought of being arrested for war crimes :lol:

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

I'm sure they are shaking in their boots at the thought of being arrested for war crimes :lol:

I'm not sure how valid the ICC is. Its only about 10 years old, countries like the US are not members because of conflicts with the US constitution etc.

Filed: Timeline

I'm not sure how valid the ICC is. Its only about 10 years old, countries like the US are not members because of conflicts with the US constitution etc.

Three signatory countries have withdrawn support, the same three countries that have outstanding arrest warrants issued for the arrest of some of their officials: The United States, Israel, and the Sudan.

Edited by The Patriot

Timeline

Three signatory countries have withdrawn support, the same three countries that have outstanding arrest warrants issued for the arrest of some of their officials: The United States, Israel, and the Sudan.

So who's going to arrest them and cause a major international scandal? Get real.