A and T

Is this impossible? Tourist visa to the USA for my wife

34 posts in this topic

So, our immigration is at a stand still and at some point we might just cancel it all together. We would be happy if my wife could just get a tourist visa to the states and visit my family for maybe a month and us return to the philippines.

How impossible is it for the wife of a usa citizen to get a tourist visa?

07-24-2009 Received NOA1
08-05-2009 Touched
10-02-2009 I-797C for Biometrics Appt
10-26-2009 Biometrics Appt. Completed
05-11-2010 Request for Evidence on both the I129F and I130
07-01-2010 Case Transferred to Vermont Service Center
10-20-2011 Contacted Ombudsman
02-07-2012 Case denied after almost 3 years =(
03-07-2012 Appeal Filed!
01-20-2013 Contacted Ombudsman again...

06-25-2013 EOIR Appeal Review

Visit my blog at http://goo.gl/ON4wG/

atckcgod5n.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

It is very very difficult. There is a presumption of immigration intent. You have to present enough evidence to convince a skeptical CO that there is much more reason not to immigrate. Basically you have to show that leaving will be much more costly than returning to the Philippines, which is very difficult. Since she is married to a US citizen it will be seen as even more likely that she could/would stay in the US.

All that said, it's not impossible, but just a very difficult hurdle to demonstrate that she will return.

Edit to add: the fact that you've applied for an immigrant visa shows even more strongly the immigration intent. It will likely be difficult, but not necessarily impossible.

Good luck.

Edited by Grant PDX

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

So, our immigration is at a stand still and at some point we might just cancel it all together. We would be happy if my wife could just get a tourist visa to the states and visit my family for maybe a month and us return to the philippines.

How impossible is it for the wife of a usa citizen to get a tourist visa?

Almost impossible but you wont know if you dont pay the fee and find out. The problem is her ties. Those ties may seem to be to her country but USCIS sees them as stronger to you when she enters the USA so they wont grant a visa. The history of what people from the P I have done has a price due to the level of fraud. Same with Thailand where I come from.

Add to that the fact that you have already demonstrated immigrant intent by file the other petition.

Keep in mind that even if she had a visa she could be denied entry to the USA at the POE.

Edited by Ning

Well, one of the reasons we tried to immigrate is because we were told the tourist visa is impossible . We were just trying all that we could because i feel my wife should be allowed to meet my family. Its sort of crazy the stuff we have to deal with that is preventing that. I have to say, its Un-American

07-24-2009 Received NOA1
08-05-2009 Touched
03-07-2012 Appeal Filed!

atckcgod5n.png

Well, one of the reasons we tried to immigrate is because we were told the tourist visa is impossible . We were just trying all that we could because i feel my wife should be allowed to meet my family. Its sort of crazy the stuff we have to deal with that is preventing that. I have to say, its Un-American

Obtaining a tourist visa for your wife would be near impossible. She would have to prove significant ties to the Philippines that would be lost if she remained in the US.

When you marry a non-US citizen there is no guarantee that they will be allowed to enter the US. It is the sole discretion of the US Department of State to allow anyone into the country legally. You have, like myself, married someone that may not ever be allowed into the US due to their nationality and that should always be something to consider. If you are desperate for your family to meet your wife perhaps you can book a tour group to the Philippines for a week or two. I know a lot of travel agencies will put together nice deals if you are flying and accommodating a large number of people.

When I married my wife I discussed the issue with my family and told them that there was a possibility that I would need to move overseas and if they wanted to see my wife they would need to visit the Philippines. My wife understood from the beginning that the process to obtain a visa was long and hard and not guaranteed to succeed. Personally I expect immigration to become harder for everyone in the next few years.

Just because you marry a foreigner doesn’t give you any inherit rights.

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Just because you marry a foreigner doesn't give you any inherit rights.

Thats true, but i just assumed since the USA has no problem with illegal immigrants crossing in and staying or kids being brought over as illegal and growing up in the states that the legal path would be a lot more accepted.

Example

Immigrant crosses the border, has no visa brings a child not born in the usa, that kid gets to stay under the dream act

Me, married my wife and have a son. My wife can't even visit for a short time after following all legal channels.

For me, yes i do see a difference in those.

If the wife of a usa citizen and mother of a usa citizen has no right, then illegals should also have no right. But instead it seems they have more rights than those of us that follow the laws and steps and wait our time (years)

07-24-2009 Received NOA1
08-05-2009 Touched
03-07-2012 Appeal Filed!

atckcgod5n.png

Thats true, but i just assumed since the USA has no problem with illegal immigrants crossing in and staying or kids being brought over as illegal and growing up in the states that the legal path would be a lot more accepted.

Example

Immigrant crosses the border, has no visa brings a child not born in the usa, that kid gets to stay under the dream act

Me, married my wife and have a son. My wife can't even visit for a short time after following all legal channels.

For me, yes i do see a difference in those.

If the wife of a usa citizen and mother of a usa citizen has no right, then illegals should also have no right. But instead it seems they have more rights than those of us that follow the laws and steps and wait our time (years)

Life ain't fair. If the Pinay vote ever gets big enough, to make a difference in an election you can look for them to be given something like the dream act. Until then we just have to accept the fact that for most of us, the family visiting is not going to happen . I don't know why they couldn't doing something like this.

Say give my Mother in Law a 2 month tourist visa. Make me post a bond. Much like bailing someone out of jail. Make it me as the sponsor who is responsible for her not overstaying her visa. If she does a forfeit my bond, and they use the money to pay for the INS to deport her.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

You, sir, are under the delusion that the US government gives a flying f@ck about you or any other citizen who cannot offer the politicians money or votes. The government does not exist to serve the people. It exists to serve the politicians and those who pay them.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is why border-hopping Latinos will continue to get preferential treatment while legally immigrating Filipinos will not. Simply put, Barry-O does't owe them anything.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/latinos-obama-owes-us/article/2512869

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Please elaborate on how there is no such thing as the dream act, specifically considering how Maryland just passed such a measure. Perhaps you can back up Mahmoud Ahmedinejad's claim that there was no holocaust, too.

You need to go read this guys earlier posts....

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Because the risk is too great. To economic stability and national security. America needs to be assured that we know who is here, where they are, and that our nation is secure. Paying a small bond to give free passage to a citizen from a nation known for crime, fraud, and terrorism is NOT a good trade off.

These laws are here to protect America. Don't like it? Then leave.

FYI- In case you didn't know, INS was disbanded over a decade ago...

Geez Louise... I am a born and raised citizen , been here 51 years . Served 13 years as an Officer in our Army.e. So you think because I suggest that putting the responsibility on the Sponsor with a Bond, in some friendly conversation on a message board. that I should pack up and leave ? Sweet. Where do you suggest I go ?

As for the national security of this Country, somehow I think the many million illegal Hispanics in this country might be a bigger threat to national security than my 74 year old Mother in law overstaying a tourist visa. No where did I say small bond of free passage. I meant a nice size bond that would pay the cost of deporting the person. Say 10K..

As for no more INS, yes I know my wife just immigrated last year. I know it is DHS./USICS but I am pretty sure everyone here knows what I meant. Kinda like Kleenex and being used for generic tissue, however if flaming me for saying that improved your self esteem then I am ok with it.

Please elaborate on how there is no such thing as the dream act, specifically considering how Maryland just passed such a measure. Perhaps you can back up Mahmoud Ahmedinejad's claim that there was no holocaust, too.

I don't think the OP pays attention to current events of the last several years.. "No such thing as the dream act"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DREAM_Act

On June 15, 2012, President Barack Obama announced that his administration would stop deporting young undocumented immigrants who match certain criteria previously proposed under the DREAM ACT.[45] However, this change in policy does not cover most individuals who arrived in the U.S. legally (see the "Criticism" section below).

On August 15, 2012, the same day that U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) began accepting applications under the Obama administration’s new Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, Arizona Governor Jan Brewer issued an executive order preventing the state of Arizona from issuing driver’s licenses and public benefits to young undocumented immigrants who receive deferred status and work authorization under the new program. In addition to driving privileges, Governor Brewer’s order bars undocumented immigrants who qualify for deferred action from receiving state-subsidized child care, health insurance, unemployment benefits, business and professional licenses, and government contracts.[46] Thousands of individuals submitted applications for the new program.[47][48] In late August 2012, ten federal immigration agents sued Janet Napolitano, saying the directive forces them to break the law and ignore their duties.[49][50]

And how can you back up the fact that there is a such thing as a dream act? You made the claim. You are the one burdened with providing proof to your silly claim.

I suppose you can join Catholics in their belief in magical ghosts in the sky that demand you to count beads while you pray to them?

I'll go out on a limb here and help you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DREAM_Act

You linked to an article whose title is DREAM ACT, that talks about the Dream act for many paragraphs, then say there is no such thing ?? Hmmm Odd

Now if you are trying to say that Congress did not pass the dream act and Obama signed an executive order giving person eligible under the dream act deferred status you are correct. However Obama called it his dream act as did every media outlet in the country.

Saying there is/was no dream act is incorrect.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.