freem

POE at YVR

14 posts in this topic

I'm going to POE at YVR. Can I use the nexus line or do I have to take the regular line since I have to show them my passport and tell them I'm about to activate the K-1? I feel like it's better to just stand in line with everyone else but if it's long, I'm very tempted to just use my nexus.

Also, what changes do I have to notify nexus with once I start the AOS and become a PR?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Don't use the Nexus line. You are not 'visiting' or entering temporarily. You are presenting yourself at the border and requesting permission to enter on a specific visa that will allow you to apply for Permanent Residence status and 'remain' in the US. You will need to go into secondary inspection and have your documents processed. The Nexus lane is for those with permission for expedited entry - you do not fit into that category when you are entering on a visa.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Timeline

I'm going to disagree with Kathryn, here, and say you can use it. When you get to the Customs Officer just let them know you're there to have your visa endorsed and they will send you to secondary at that point. Hopefully, the girl who was told she could use it will be along to verify. There are other members who have also used the NEXUS lane.

Once you have your new address, license, and GC you will need to inform them as soon as possible. You can update some of the information online, but you will need to go in with the documents at some point.

iagree.gif

I have also read somewhere that people have done through the nexus and just told them they needed to go into secondary to activate their K-1.

I was also wondering about updating information once I get there. I will just do what Krikit said once I have everything together. I know for the Nexus Enrollment center in Port Huron you can mail or fax in updates but with things like the changing of status in the US we will have to mail in copies of our new information (in case you will be far from a Nexus center).

K-1

04/20/2012- I-129F Package Sent!

04/25/2012- NOA1

07/31/2012- NOA2

08/06/2012- NOA2 Hard-copy

08/08/2012- NVC Received

08/13/2012- NVC Left

08/17/2012- Consulate Received

08/17/2012- Packet 3 Received

08/20/2012- Packet 3 Sent

08/20/2012- Packet 4 Received

08/23/2012- Medical

09/04/2012- Interview---Approved smile.png

11/20/2012- POE Blue Water Bridge

11/24/2012- Wedding!!

AOS

12/24/2012- AOS Mailed

01/02/2013- NOA1,AOS, EAD/AP

01/25/2013- Biometrics

02/20/2013- EAD & AP Approved

03/04/2013- EAD & AP Combo Card Received

07/29/2013- AOS Approved

I'm going to POE at YVR. Can I use the nexus line or do I have to take the regular line since I have to show them my passport and tell them I'm about to activate the K-1? I feel like it's better to just stand in line with everyone else but if it's long, I'm very tempted to just use my nexus.

Also, what changes do I have to notify nexus with once I start the AOS and become a PR?

My POE will also be YVR (Nov. 1st) & I am a Nexus card holder. I also agree with Krikit & JnJ13 to use the card.

While you still have to undergo security screening, the NEXUS card can get you where you need to be faster.

I'd like to hand over that envelope ASAP and get the whole POE process rolling ASAP.

I think we need to hear from someone that's a Nexus card holder that has used it...

Anyone out there? helpsmilie.gif

Edited by CANbirdUSman

XYlOm10.pngGSPYm10.png
AOS: 2012-12-28
NOA's x 2: 2012-01-04
Bio App: 2012-02-05 (Honolulu, HAWAII)
Upcoming AOS Interview (March 21) RESCHEDULED between March 28 - June 6
EAD/AP combo card: 2013-03-15
AOS interview: APRIL 16th approved
Green Card: April 25th 2013 - 2015

ROC: 2015-Jan-20
NOA: 2015-Jan-27

BIO Appt: 2015-Feb-24

Approved: 2015-May-26

No didn't go thru the Peace Bridge as I live in Medina and Lewiston is closer. I went thru Lewiston last nite when I POE'd. They were super nice there and friendly. The IO told me that I could still use my Nexus card to cross thru at Rainbow if there was a super long wait. I would still have to be paroled but if I used the Nexus lane then I wouldn't have to wait as long to go thru and be processed.

The above is about the closest I could find to getting the okay to use it. I know for sure that there are members who have done so, but it's too difficult to find them in a search.

iagree.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Isn't it kind of unfair to use it and hold other people up? When you go to secondary, they have to close their booth for a couple minutes, guide you over and fill out papers. I'm with Kathryn. I'm sure you COULD use it, but I just don't think it's fair to the others to.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would think they would just send you to secondary--That "Nexus" officer isn't going to be the one that is going to stay and do the paperwork! OR he could just say--sorry---head to the normal lane......so worth a try, all he can do is say no.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Isn't it kind of unfair to use it and hold other people up? When you go to secondary, they have to close their booth for a couple minutes, guide you over and fill out papers. I'm with Kathryn. I'm sure you COULD use it, but I just don't think it's fair to the others to.

Close their booth? I have never seen that happen. They just point you in the direction you need to go. Who are you holding up? There's hardly anyone in the NEXUS line. NEXUS is a service you pay for. You are thoroughly investigated and interviewed in order to get one. They know more about you than they do about anyone in that long lineup of people in front of you who haven't been pre-cleared. Let me repeat that. You PAY for this service. They have pre-cleared you. Isn't it unfair to have paid for a service that someone tells you you can't use?

iagree.gif

You're timeline says POE October 28th. Looking forward to hearing how it went. (With or without Nexus...?)

My POE with YVR is coming up November 1st.. (I also have a Nexus Card. Will report back as well)

Happy POE to you!

XYlOm10.pngGSPYm10.png

Don't use the Nexus line. You are not 'visiting' or entering temporarily. You are presenting yourself at the border and requesting permission to enter on a specific visa that will allow you to apply for Permanent Residence status and 'remain' in the US. You will need to go into secondary inspection and have your documents processed. The Nexus lane is for those with permission for expedited entry - you do not fit into that category when you are entering on a visa.

Kathryn41 you are correct. Do NOT use Nexus Card.

My flight & POE is from YVR tomorrow. I'm staying at a hotel here at YVR, so I walked over to the Nexus counter and asked this very question, and a CBP (Customs Border Patrol) woman explained it to me, much like it was explained by Kathryn41.

Thank you to OP, who brought up this topic.

ps- CBP woman said to update Nexus information when 'Green Card' is issued.

Happy Halloween !

XYlOm10.pngGSPYm10.png

I didn't end up entering via YVR because my travel plans changed due to Hurricane Sandy. I was redirected on a flight to Toronto and since I was connecting, the customs line was fairly short so I decided to just wait in line and play it safe.

Thanks for clarifying CANbirdUSman.

I didn't end up entering via YVR because my travel plans changed due to Hurricane Sandy. I was redirected on a flight to Toronto and since I was connecting, the customs line was fairly short so I decided to just wait in line and play it safe.

Thanks for clarifying CANbirdUSman.

good.gif

XYlOm10.pngGSPYm10.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

No it is not unfair. As Krikit pointed out, you pay for this service so that you can bypass the line and go thru numerous security checks and an interview befor it is issued. CBP will put you into secondary when you do use it. I crossed over today at Rainbow and asked if I could use my NEXUS card as I have my AP card. I was told "Yes you can use your Nexus card to avoid a long delay but you will still have to go into the building to be paroled through".

Once you receive your AP card, you should contact NEXUS to let them know. They will need to see your K1 Visa as well and update the information into the system. You will also need to do this when your green card is issued.

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

Final paperwork sent to lawyer - 14-Dec-2015

GC-Date: Resident Since 02/13/2013

Sent: N-400 Sent 12/21/2015
NOA: 12/24/2015

Biometrics: 01/20/2016
In Line: 01/25/2016
Int Ltr: 01/28/2016
Interview: 03/08/2016
Oath: 04/14/2016
Field Office: Buffalo NY

I am a US Citizen!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.