NikLR

phew.. was worried about visit

5 posts in this topic

But I made it through the US customs in Calgary just fine. A few more questions than normal like where did we meet and who was going where, bit she didn't even stamp my passport. Yay! I was so worried.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Majority do not have problems! Enjoy ur trip

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Oh so far this trip is not enjoyable. To be honest, the customs part was the MOST enjoyable part thus far! Lol. My plane came in late, took forever to get de-iced, landed late and I missed my connection. Thankfully United is an awesome airline (frontier, not so much) and booked me a new flight for the am, plus got me a discounted rate on a hotel. I get to see the hubs tomorrow morning. So if you book a trip, make it United! Their customer service is awesome IMHO.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

YYC seems to be one of the better airports to go through when it comes to dealing with customs officers and such. I've never had any issues and I also used it as my point of entry.. the main delay there was waiting for other people to be dealt with in secondary.

Meanwhile, I've only gone through YVR once and I thought the guy was going to turn me away. (Probably didn't help that I was really nervous - first time using connecting flights and it was close to departure for my plane.)

Edited by zentaco

K-1 Visa 248 Days
Filed: 2011-10-24... Interview: 2012-06-21... Visa Received: 2012-06-27

Adjustment of Status 84 Days

Filed: 2012-11-15... EAD Received: 2013-01-26... Interview: 2013-02-06

Removal of Conditions 166 Days

Filed: 2014-11-10... Card Production: 2015-04-16... Card Received: 2015-04-24

Naturalization 72 Days

Filed: 2024-01-02... Interview: 2024-02-27...Oath Ceremony: 2024-03-15

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.