sym32one

K2 Mexico Patria Potestad

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hopefully someone can give me some good advise....

My fiancee is in Mexico, she has an 8 year old daughter. I petitioned for her as my fiance over 2 years ago. Everything was approved no problem. She could not get a Passport for her daughter. She was never married to her father , but he was on the birth certificate. He could not be located, and has never been around or involved. We immediately started the excruciating process of her obtaining the Patria Potestad (or removing his, however you want to look at it). Her case just finished and she has certified copies from the court, now she can go get a Passport for her daughter and attend the interview in Juarez.

My question is.... is this all she needs? all the info that I can find on the topic says yes. Her documents from court says that he has permanently lost all rights to his daughter due to abandoning her for 7 years. That he has lost Patria Potestad.

I think that is it.. as she can freely get a Passport. I am just nervous as when we call Juarez "just to confirm" they are sooo flaky. I explain it and they just say "yes". Or, they say we really need to come there to the interview and see. Juarez is a long way from home, and I just want to be sure.

Any comforting stories or advice?

Kind Regards...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hopefully someone can give me some good advise....

My fiancee is in Mexico, she has an 8 year old daughter. I petitioned for her as my fiance over 2 years ago. Everything was approved no problem. She could not get a Passport for her daughter. She was never married to her father , but he was on the birth certificate. He could not be located, and has never been around or involved. We immediately started the excruciating process of her obtaining the Patria Potestad (or removing his, however you want to look at it). Her case just finished and she has certified copies from the court, now she can go get a Passport for her daughter and attend the interview in Juarez.

My question is.... is this all she needs? all the info that I can find on the topic says yes. Her documents from court says that he has permanently lost all rights to his daughter due to abandoning her for 7 years. That he has lost Patria Potestad.

I think that is it.. as she can freely get a Passport. I am just nervous as when we call Juarez "just to confirm" they are sooo flaky. I explain it and they just say "yes". Or, they say we really need to come there to the interview and see. Juarez is a long way from home, and I just want to be sure.

Any comforting stories or advice?

Kind Regards...

Everything sounds correct....that she should be able to get the Passport.....she needs that first BEFORE any visa process can begin.

Your K-2 option has come and went since it's been more than one year from when your wife's K-1 was issued.

You'll need to petition her for a different visa.

Edited by baron555

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Timeline

Everything sounds correct....that she should be able to get the Passport.....she needs that first BEFORE any visa process can begin.

Your K-2 option has come and went since it's been more than one year from when your wife's K-1 was issued.

You'll need to petition her for a different visa.

Thanks... she never got as far as the K1 Visa, so I think the K2 is still valid. We never went to the interview as we have been waiting for her daughters passport. I call Juarez every few months just to let them know that I have not abandoned my petition. They just tell me that whenever we are ready, schedule the interview. It seems that you can leave it "opened" until you are ready, unless of course me the petitioner closes it.

Thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.