MatthewK

Australian federal police check!?

24 posts in this topic

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone could give me any information about the necessary police checks... Am I correct in stating the only police check you must provide is the AFP check? Do you need to provide inked fingerprints with the application? And finally... Should I have the AFP check posted back to me and then take it with me on the day of my interview?

Thanks everyone!

Matt

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

hey matthewK.....

yes you need to do the police certificate with fingerprints... I would just get inked fingerprints from local police (call first to make sure they provide this service)..... print out form from AFP website and complete it.... send it in with your fingerprints.... takes about a month (my fiancee just did this...she lived in AU for a year but lives in London). there is the option to take live scan digital prints, but it really doesn't make much difference.... the point being that "yes you need the fingerprint police certificate." have them post it back to you and bring it with you to the interview at embassy....

hope this helps

K1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2012-05-15

I-129F NOA1 : 2012-05-17

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-08-08

NVC Received : 2012-08-10

NVC Left : 2012-08-15

Consulate Received : 2012-08-20

Packet 3 Received : ONLINE

Packet 3 Sent : 2012-09-18

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2012-10-25 Submit Review

Interview Result :

Visa Received :

Timeline

I see you are in AU which I didnt see before... you need the fingerprint check as I said before... since I am not sure exactly where you are from, sort through the following to find specifics.... here is the info direct from website """ http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_5455.html?cid=8957#docs """ :

Police Certificates - All Australia

If you reside outside Australia

Applicants who live overseas should refer requests to the Australian Federal Police. Applicants are required to apply for a police certificate based on a name and fingerprint check. Police clearances issued on the basis of only a name check will not be accepted. More information is available on their website at: http://afp.gov.au/ or via e-mail at vetting@afp.gov.au.

If you reside in New South Wales

Make an appointment, and then appear in person to be fingerprinted at your local police station. You must pay the fee of AUD175 (subject to change, please check the current fee with the police) and complete an application form, which the police will forward to:

NSW Police Department, Criminal Records Section, Level B3 NSW Police Headquarters, 1 Charles St, Parramatta, NSW 2150. Tel: (02) 8835-7888.

Please find further details on the New South Wales Police website.

If you reside in Queensland

Check with your local police station if you need an appointment, then go in person to be fingerprinted. You must pay the prescribed fee of AUD146.70 (subject to change, please check the current fee with the police) and complete an indemnification form required by the Queensland Police Department. You must then forward the fingerprints, completed indemnification form, and payment to:

Inspector of Police, Information Bureau, Miscellaneous License Section, GPO Box 1440

Brisbane, QLD 4001. Telephone: (07) 3364-6854.

Please find further details on the Queensland Police website.

Return of police certificates for NSW and Queensland residents

For NSW and Queensland residents, your police record will be sent directly to the U.S. Consulate in Sydney by the police department, and the Criminal Records Section will notify you that this has been done. If you do not receive this notification within 3 weeks of your application, we strongly recommend that you ascertain the status of your records by checking at the police station where you initially made your request.

If you reside in the ACT

Check with your local police station if you need an appointment, then go in person to be fingerprinted. You must also pay the prescribed fee. Current fees can be found at the AFP web site.You must also complete an indemnification form required by the Australian Federal Police. This process normally takes a minimum of 15 working days, after which the results are posted to the applicant. You must then bring the results to your final visa interview at the U.S. Consulate General in Sydney.

Please find further details at the AFP web site.

If you reside in Western Australia

If you reside in Western Australia, you must request a national police certificate based on name and fingerprints from the Australian Federal Police (AFP). Check with your local police station if you need an appointment, then go in person to be fingerprinted. Your fingerprint card, fees and application should be sent to the AFP for processing. For current fees to be paid to the AFP, please refer to their web site. This process normally takes a minimum of 15 working days, after which the results are posted to the applicant. You must then bring the results to your final visa interview at the U.S. Consulate General in Sydney.

Overseas applicants must apply directly to the Australian Federal Police (AFP).

The AFP can be contacted at (02) 6202-3333 or through their web site.

If you reside in Victoria

Victoria Police provide a Police and Fingerprints Records Search. Appointments can be made by phoning 1300 881 596. Further information is available from:

Email: publicenquiryservice@police.vic.gov.au

Web: http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=274

If you reside in Tasmania

Criminal History Services provides a National Police History Record & Fingerprint Check, but you must be residing in Tasmania to apply. Residents of other states should direct enquiries to the police service of the state or territory in which they reside.

Applicants are required to submit copies of 3 different types of ID with their application form, and must attend their local police station to take fingerprints. The fee for a National Police History Record & Fingerprint Check is AUD120 (subject to change, please check with the police directly) and the average turnaround time is 3-4 weeks for a fingerprint check.

Please find guidance and application forms on the Tasmanian Police web site.

If you reside in the Northern Territory

A fingerprint check is AUD120 (subject to change, please check with the police directly) and the turnaround time is 4 weeks for fingerprint checks. The fingerprint check will include disclosable traffic convictions and criminal records held by the Northern Territory and most interstate police jurisdictions. Applicants must visit their local police station with their ID. Please call ahead to check if you need an appointment.

Please find guidance and application forms from the Northern Territory Police, Fire and Emergency Services at: http://pfes.nt.gov.au/

If you reside in South Australia

National Police Certificate & Fingerprint Checks (NPC) will only be prepared for those people who reside in South Australia. South Australian residents living overseas should refer requests to the Australian Federal Police or via e-mail at vetting@afp.gov.au. Residents of other states should direct enquiries to the police service of the state or territory in which they reside.

The standard timeframe to process a NPC is between 2-15 working days. The fee for a National Police Certificate & Fingerprint Check is AUD142.50 (subject to change, please check current fee at SA Police website).

Please find guidance and application forms on the South Australian Police website.

K1 Visa

Event Date

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Result :

Visa Received :

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone could give me any information about the necessary police checks... Am I correct in stating the only police check you must provide is the AFP check? Do you need to provide inked fingerprints with the application? And finally... Should I have the AFP check posted back to me and then take it with me on the day of my interview?

Thanks everyone!

Matt

If you are in Australia you do it through your state police, not AFP.

Once you have the results you send it in to Sydney with other documents as requested. You don't take it with you to the interview

Timeline

sorry for misinformation, I have to remember that embassies are different in their methods/requirements...

K1 Visa

Event Date

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Result :

Visa Received :

actually now I'm confused again, I read over that link again and I see this...

mention of a police certificate if you live in QLD

---------------------------------------------------------------------

If you reside in Queensland

Check with your local police station if you need an appointment, then go in person to be fingerprinted. You must pay the prescribed fee of AUD146.70 (subject to change, please check the current fee with the police) and complete an indemnification form required by the Queensland Police Department. You must then forward the fingerprints, completed indemnification form, and payment to:

Inspector of Police, Information Bureau, Miscellaneous License Section, GPO Box 1440

Brisbane, QLD 4001. Telephone: (07) 3364-6854.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Then further down it has another section for QLD and mentions Police Records

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Available. Includes nationwide fingerprint check. Cost: $131.80 for certificate with fingerprints.

Procedures to be followed for visa applicants both inside and outside the country who wish to obtain clearances:

Inside: Applicant must write or apply in person for a "QP349b" form, which is the "Application for Police Certificate" and "QP349 form, if applicable, which is the "Copy of Own Criminal History," which costs an additional $36.50. This can be obtained by writing or calling the:

Visa Section

Queensland Police Service

GPO Box 1440

QLD 4001

Tel: 07-3364-6854

They must complete the form, attach fingerprints, a copy of identification, and the required fee.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So does this mean you are expected to get a Police Certificate AND a Police Record?!

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

use the one that links to the QLD police website, there are a few other QLD K1 filers who have got theirs recently, you can ask them for further info - username 'Tas006' is one of them.

or just go into a QLD police station, as long as you get the one with fingerprints...

Edited by SweetDelish

N400

08 Mar 20: N400 filed online

14 Mar 20: Biometrics scheduled for 31 March - cancelled due to Covid19 shutdown.  

16 Dec 20: Biometrics

12 Feb 21: Interview (approved)

24 Feb 21: Oath Ceremony

ROC

31 Jul 15: ROC (I-751) sent

19 Jan 16: Greencard received

AOS

26 Feb 13: AOS (I-485, I-131, I-765) sent

06 Mar 13: NOA1's received

03 Apr 13: Biometrics completed

12 Sept 13: Interview - Memphis, approved!

Sept 13: Greencard received.

California Service Centre

17 May 12: I-129f sent

23 May 12: NOA1

20 Aug 12: NOA2 (89 days)

20 Nov 12: Interview in Sydney

29 Nov 12: Visa Issued

05 Dec 12: POE Honolulu

20 Dec 12: Wedding day

The travel.state.gov website can be outdated. Either ask at your local police station, or maybe look at the Qld Police website for updated procedure and fees, or perhaps someone here who recently got theirs from Queensland can help you.

You only need one thing - a name and fingerprint check of police records. It may be called different things in different states but it turns out to be the same thing no matter where you get it (either AFP or your state police). It's called a "National Police Certificate". It will say something like "A fingerprint and name based search of the records of the Australian State and Territory Police Forces and the AFP has been conducted on...". It costs somewhere around $120-$150 depending on your state.

Procedures to get it vary by state.

Edited by Lainie B

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Ok I'm confused as hell now... I live in Australia and I am a citizen. I have only ever lived in Queensland. What type of police certificate am I required to get exactly?

Hey, just go to your local police station between monday to friday business hours. It's $174ish.

14 Jan 2011 - Fiance sent me a message on a dating website

14 Jan 2011 - I added him on Facebook

26 Jan 2011 - Had a 5 hour long conversation that changed my life!

05 Feb 2011 - We decided to be an exclusive relationship

29 Jun 2011 - We met for the first time. It was exactly as I knew it would be!

14 Jul 2011 - He had to leave to go back to USA

17 Jul 2011 - Booked flights for me to go to USA for 3 months on VWP

29 Nov 2011 - Arrived in USA

25 Dec 2011 - HE PROPOSED!

21 Feb 2012 - Left USA for Australia

K1 Visa Process

16 Apr 2012 - NOA1

08 Aug 2012 - RFE

11 Sep 2012 - CSC received RFE documentation

11 Sep 2012 - Did Police Clearance

18 Sep 2012 - NOA 2

26 Sep 2012 - NVC sent case to consulate

16 Oct 2012 - Packet 3 received

18 Oct 2012 - Sent DS-230 off to Sydney Consulate

01 Nov 2012 - Medical completed

07 Nov 2012 - Packet 3 Sent to Consulate

08 Nov 2012 - Packet 3 Delivered

15 Nov 2012 - Packet 4 Received

18 Dec 2012 - Interview APPROVED!

28 Dec 2012 - Entered USA POE:- LAX

09 Jan 2013 - Married

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I'm a Qld resident and got mine through AFP which was accepted by the embassy

02/11/12 - I-129F submitted

02/21/12 - NOA1 received

08/22/12 - Applied for NPC

08/29/12 - AFP processed NPC fee

09/11/12 - NOA2

09/11/12 - NPC complete & mailed to me

09/15/12 - NOA2 received by mail

09/19/12 - NVC received petition and allocated case number

09/24/12 - NVC shipped case to embassy

09/25/12 - medical

09/28/12 - Embassy received case

10/02/12 - Packet 3 received

10/03/12 - Packet 3 mailed

10/18/12 - Packet 4 received

11/06/12 - Interview at Sydney embassy - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

So I'm definitely better off just getting a police report from the queensland police and not an AFP one? thanks for the help everyone!

Here is the proper link for you: http://canberra.usembassy.gov/obtain_police_cert.html

I personally live in Vic. I did the live scan for the prints at Vic Police. I had the form completed and they officer entered the livescan print ID number (so they could link my prints) on my paperwork. Then I mailed off the paperwork. I received the check in the mail, and sent it off with my P3 documents (per the instructions).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.