GeorgiaPeach

How long to enter USA once spouse is granted permission?

6 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

I'm curious what the required timing is to enter the USA once my husband completes the visa process. They advise you (on the USCIS website) to allow the process to take 10 months; however, if the visa process only takes, say, 6 months to complete, do they allow the spouse to wait another 4 months until entering the USA? We're trying to get our timing right with leaving a job here in the UK and beginning one in the US, but with the varying timing of the process, it makes it difficult. Does anyone know the answer to this? I know when I received my UK spousal visa, I had no more than 90 days from the issuance of the visa to enter the country.

Many Thanks,

Meredith :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

They have 6 months from the time the visa is issued. Not from the time you apply for it. Since 4 months is less than 6 months, yes they will allow him to wait 4 months after the visa is issued before he uses the visa to enter.

Just make sure he uses it before the 6 months are up.

Edited by bsd058

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

Hello Everyone,

I'm curious what the required timing is to enter the USA once my husband completes the visa process. They advise you (on the USCIS website) to allow the process to take 10 months; however, if the visa process only takes, say, 6 months to complete, do they allow the spouse to wait another 4 months until entering the USA? We're trying to get our timing right with leaving a job here in the UK and beginning one in the US, but with the varying timing of the process, it makes it difficult. Does anyone know the answer to this? I know when I received my UK spousal visa, I had no more than 90 days from the issuance of the visa to enter the country.

Many Thanks,

Don't know about other consulates but London has been giving 6 months past the date of the medical exam.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

It took my wife and I 9 months and 2 weeks from first applying on December 28, 2011 to getting it approved yesterday.... we made sure all our I's were dotted so that there was no questions...Good Luck!

Hello Everyone,

Many Thanks,

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.