Bad_Daddy

East Bay students, teachers protest race-neutral admissions policies

17 posts in this topic

http://www.dailycal.org/2012/10/23/east-bay-students-teachers-protest-race-neutral-admissions-policies/

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

A group of about 350 students and teachers from UC Berkeley and middle and high schools in the East Bay denounced the university’s race-neutral admissions policies at a rally on campus Tuesday afternoon.

Organized by the activist group BAMN, the rally on Sproul Plaza featured teachers and students from the campus and other schools in Oakland and Berkeley who urged the university to adopt race-conscious admissions policies to increase the diversity of the student body.

Protesters carried signs that read “Affirmative Action” and “Education is a right.” They chanted, “Si se puede — yes we can,” and, “Educate — don’t segregate,” among other chants, while marching from the plaza to California Hall and back.

“I look around this (campus), and this does not resemble my community,” said Steven Wong, a senior at Skyline High School in Oakland, at the rally. “This must change.”

Wong was also at the BAMN-organized occupation of the campus registrar’s office in April during which protesters called for the campus to double minority-student enrollment. Since then, the group has continued protesting the university’s race-conscious admissions policies through various rallies and events on Sproul Plaza. Tuesday’s rally is the most recent in a series of protests.

The university is restricted from considering race in its admissions decisions by Proposition 209, which was passed by voters in 1996.

“There are fewer black and Latino students at Berkeley than at private schools like Harvard and Stanford,” said Yvette Felarca, a BAMN organizer. “There are thousands of gifted and talented black and Latino students in California who are fully capable of getting accepted to Berkeley … UC Berkeley should double the number of black and Latino students.”

Four UCPD officers monitored Tuesday’s rally.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Is it fair to consider race in the admissions process? It seems so arbitrary. It's not anyone's choice to be the colour they are. It doesn't make them a better or worse student.

On the other hand maybe it would keep the university honest. So they have a fair representation of each ethnic group to show they aren't discriminating?

I'd like to know the logic behind this.

Edited by bsd058

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

Is it fair to consider race in the admissions process? It seems so arbitrary. It's not anyone's choice to be the colour they are. It doesn't make them a better student.

On the other hand maybe it would keep the university honest. So they have a fair representative of each ethnic group to show they aren't discriminating?

Admitting someone due to skin color is racist.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Timeline

Is it fair to consider race in the admissions process? It seems so arbitrary. It's not anyone's choice to be the colour they are. It doesn't make them a better or worse student.

On the other hand maybe it would keep the university honest. So they have a fair representation of each ethnic group to show they aren't discriminating?

I'd like to know the logic behind this.

It was put in place to correct historic imbalances.

I do believe it should be modified today, to account for the fact that systematic state sanctioned discrimination is now a thing of the past. The fault lines today are more class-based so I'd like to see a new era of affirmative action that is geared towards those who come from regions and families stuck at the bottom with little hope of upward mobility.

Edited by ^_^

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

what happened? UC Berkeley not subscribe to Affirmative Action Enrollment stuff?

On a lighter note -

IF you had the SAT scores, and some extra-curricular activities,

and could prove yer parents have the $$

then yer a shoe-in ..

IIRC, Historically, students in the Oakland area rarely were admitted, because of 'that bar' ..

They just couldn't jump over it.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

When you give one seat out to a student due to race you take one seat away from a more deserving student for the same reason.

The Left swears race is meaningless... a social construct... yet they are the ones who cling to is so much.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Timeline

Admitting someone due to skin color is racist.

I'm not sure "admitting someone due to their skin color" is the actual issue, though.

Edited by bsd058

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

I'm not sure "admitting someone due to their skin color" is the actual issue, though.

Did you take time to read the title of that article?

sigbet.jpg

Timeline

Did you take time to read the title of that article?

Yes I did. The reason I'm not sure if the issue has been missed is because it is possible the statistics might prove that there is covert (not obvious) discrimination and that possibly the students are trying to state that the policies should change because there isn't a fair representation of applicants in the student population.

Sometimes stats (I do not mean mere numbers; rather probability models) can be used as evidence for discrimination.

Sometimes the whole story isn't told. I agree that it's not fair to allow someone in just because they are a certain color. The question is, is it happening anyway and we're just not told about it? That's what makes me wonder if there are deeper motives for the protests not being written about in the article.

Edited by bsd058

[quote name=^_^' timestamp='1351110575' post='5777602]

It was put in place to correct historic imbalances.

I do believe it should be modified today, to account for the fact that systematic state sanctioned discrimination is now a thing of the past. The fault lines today are more class-based so I'd like to see a new era of affirmative action that is geared towards those who come from regions and families stuck at the bottom with little hope of upward mobility.

:wub:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

After reading that article, the thoughts that come to mind are: there are many gifted people of any race that are able to make the cut, so why then is the population of the community not represented at the school?

Just because schools are told they cannot admit someone based on their race (affirmative action), does not mean that racism doesn't exist anymore. However, perhaps the issue is an issue of economic factors relative to race?

July 09, 2012 - Sent in application for I-129f petition for K1 Visa
Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
Feb. 23, 2013 - Visa received
March 31, 2013 - POE
April 12, 2013 - Wedding! (41213 prime!)

May 02, 2013 - Sent off AOS, EAD, AP package

May 04, 2013 - Package arrived at Chicago lockbox

May 22, 2013 - Early walk in Biometrics, Alexandria VA

June 03, 2013 - RFE for AOS

June 17, 2013 - RFE response received

July 05, 2013 - EAD and AP approved

July 10, 2013 - EAD card production

After reading that article, the thoughts that come to mind are: there are many gifted people of any race that are able to make the cut, so why then is the population of the community not represented at the school?

Just because schools are told they cannot admit someone based on their race (affirmative action), does not mean that racism doesn't exist anymore. However, perhaps the issue is an issue of economic factors relative to race?

Money might have something to do with it. College education doesn't come cheap these days.

sigbet.jpg

Timeline

Yes. This is what I'm talking about. Someone gets it. A Canadian (or at least getting married to a Canadian?) no less! lol.

Edited by bsd058

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Why are we conversing as though discrimination can not be reasonably proven?

It is ridiculous to act on an assumption... to discriminate again a better performing student simply because you have a hunch... that the upper levels of Education are ripe with discrimination.... so ripe that we see the same thing across the country.

Applicants are broken down into a point system, send the Justice DEPT. in to see if it is being conducted on a color blind system.

To just assume that all groups are equally interested or capable to engage in any activity is a pretty lame starting point and one that does not work in many other area life.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Why are we conversing as though discrimination can not be reasonably proven?

It is ridiculous to act on an assumption... to discriminate again a better performing student simply because you have a hunch... that the upper levels of Education are ripe with discrimination.... so ripe that we see the same thing across the country.

Applicants are broken down into a point system, send the Justice DEPT. in to see if it is being conducted on a color blind system.

To just assume that all groups are equally interested or capable to engage in any activity is a pretty lame starting point and one that does not work in many other area life.

What is a good starting point then? I think it's reasonable to assume that all groups are interested and capable..and if they aren't, why is that? The article the OP posted just had me thinking that what indeed is the reason that the student population does not resemble the community? Discrimination can be proven of course, but there are many subtle forms of discrimination too.

July 09, 2012 - Sent in application for I-129f petition for K1 Visa
Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
Feb. 23, 2013 - Visa received
March 31, 2013 - POE
April 12, 2013 - Wedding! (41213 prime!)

May 02, 2013 - Sent off AOS, EAD, AP package

May 04, 2013 - Package arrived at Chicago lockbox

May 22, 2013 - Early walk in Biometrics, Alexandria VA

June 03, 2013 - RFE for AOS

June 17, 2013 - RFE response received

July 05, 2013 - EAD and AP approved

July 10, 2013 - EAD card production