14 posts in this topic

Hello. I have read that during the AOS interview they ask for a joint bank account. I'm now worried that we might get denied because of this :( (if we do get an interview). The bank was asking for my SSN which I don't have because when we went to the Social Security office, the lady said I need my EAD to get an SSN (this was a month before my I-94 expired). We did not send an application for EAD and AP because we wanted to keep it simple and I'm not really in a hurry to work nor do I intend to travel.

Has anyone experienced any issue for not having a joint bank account? Is it possible for me to still apply for EAD?

Thank you!

i-129f sent - 5/25/11

noa1 - 6/1/2011

approved! - 1/26/2012

23h2kc4.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

sorry you had SSN issues - that always sucks. loads !

re: joint bank account - not needed for AOS, but is needed for ROC (which is two years down the road)

don't fret this one bit.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I called all of the banks too, they said ssn or a id number from a job... We had neither so, I just sent it in... Do you have a lease or some proof of being together...??? OR proof of A family member sending you guys money?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

financial co-mingling proof is NOT needed when doing an AOS from a K-1 visa.

it IS needed when doing the ROC, two years down the road.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

thank you guys for the replies. i can peacefully sleep tonight :D

i-129f sent - 5/25/11

noa1 - 6/1/2011

approved! - 1/26/2012

23h2kc4.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline

It's not even "needed" for RoC but since it's a 5-minute thing to set one up there's no reason not to do that once you have received your Green Card.

Every little bit helps.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

financial co-mingling proof is NOT needed when doing an AOS from a K-1 visa.

it IS needed when doing the ROC, two years down the road.

They're a little more lenient with K1's, but there have been many instances of people being RFE'd without proof of financial co-mingling. As long as the OP has sufficient other info they might be okay.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

By the way, you can still apply for an EAD, and it will be free and it should be approved in 2-3 months. Read the instructions for the form I-765, you will have to prove that your AOS application is pending by including a copy of your NOA. It is an easy form to fill in, and the documents to include are photocopies of some documents that were already asked for in the AOS application (copy of your I-94, etc) + 2 more id pictures. So easy that you may regret to have only filed for AOS! :)

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Guyana
Timeline

Acquiring a Bank account without an SSN is allowed by a lot of Financial Companies, I personally was able to acquire 3 different accounts without an SSN, Bank Of America is the easiest. and also did you by any chance apply for ITIN while your I-94 was still valid..? If you did that can be used in the place of an SSN.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Is it possible for me to still apply for EAD?

Yep. Send the form, passport photos as well as the other required docs, together with a copy of your NOA1. I'd file the AP at the same time if I were you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Try another bank. We opened joint checking and savings accounts with no SS card, we just brought the wife's passport and no problem. We opened it as husband and wife so it gets reported under my SSN. Good luck.

We opened checking and savings account without Social Security number for my wife at Chase Bank, no issue no problem! Once she received her Social Security number we informed the bank to add the information. Most of the bigger international banks stateside will allow this.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

wow i went and did my social security abt 2-3 weeks after i got here and there was no problem in getting it there was a hold up tho because immigration didnt put my info in the system but i got it about 2weeks after i applied and the lady told me to come back after i get the EAD to get a new social security card with my married name on it...........................hope all goes well for you tho

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hello. I have read that during the AOS interview they ask for a joint bank account. I'm now worried that we might get denied because of this :( (if we do get an interview). The bank was asking for my SSN which I don't have because when we went to the Social Security office, the lady said I need my EAD to get an SSN (this was a month before my I-94 expired). We did not send an application for EAD and AP because we wanted to keep it simple and I'm not really in a hurry to work nor do I intend to travel.

Has anyone experienced any issue for not having a joint bank account? Is it possible for me to still apply for EAD?

Thank you!

i think maybe you waited a little too late to get SSN. i did mine after 3 weeks of getting here and i got mine in 3 days without any problem. all they wanted was my passport. Now you might have to wait to get EAD then go and re apply, then when u get it, you can open a joint bank account. You need SSN for pretty much everything here

AOS

10/16/2012 Mailed I-485, I-765, I-131
10/19/2012 NOA1
11/09/2012 Biometrics Apt @ 3pm
12/25/2012 EAD/AP Approval
01/05/2013 Received EAD/AP in mail

06/20/2013 AOS APPROVED!!!!!

LIFTING OF CONDITIONS

3/23/15 Mailed I-751

3/25/15 NOA1

3/28/15 NOA1 Received in the Mail

4/28/15 Biometrics Apt.

11/13/15 ROC Approved

11/18/15 Approval Letter Received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.