Sign in to follow this  
Clay_LX

Proof when going through airport customs

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hello,

me ad my fiancèe have everything ready but we haven't applied for the k1 yet (I wanted to check all our paperwork together), but I am going to visit him in the States on Nov 1st.

I was thinking to bring a replica of the packet with me on the plane, so that when I go through airport customs in the States I can show them proof that I am going to apply for a visa and that I am not going to stay illegaly. I already have my return ticket, but since I already went to the US to visit him last year for 2 months and a half, I really don't want the custom people to question me for hours or send me back to Italy, and I do not want to lie about why I'm there and make things worse.

Do you think it's a good idea to bring the replica packet with me, will it be enough? Has any of you ever had any problems when going to the States?

Thank you!

Edited by Clay_LX

Hello,

me ad my fiancèe have everything ready but we haven't applied for the k1 yet (I wanted to check all our paperwork together), but I am going to visit him in the States on Nov 1st.

I was thinking to bring a replica of the packet with me on the plane, so that when I go through airport customs in the States I can show them proof that I am going to apply for a visa and that I am not going to stay illegaly. I already have my return ticket, but since I already went to the US to visit him last year for 2 months and a half, I really don't want the custom people to question me for hours or send me back to Italy, and I do not want to lie about why I'm there and make things worse.

Do you think it's a good idea to bring the replica packet with me, will it be enough? Has any of you ever had any problems when going to the States?

Thank you!

I would not bring the documents with you, it would be more advisable to bring with you evidence that you intend to return to Italy, such as a letter from your employer, a rental agreement etc. I would just be honest and inform the Officer at POE, when asked, that you are visiting your fiancé, but show them solid evidence that you have every intention of returning to Italy until your K1 has been approved. To be honest, bringing the packet with you may send up red flags. I visited my fiancé back in April and we went through all our paperwork together, but I didn't need to bring any paperwork with me as I had already sent him everything he needed for the petition beforehand. It was great to be able to check everything over before he sent it off after I left. Has your fiance got all the paperwork from you that he needs, as he is the petitioner he should have. Will you be submitting your petition while you are still in the States or after you have departed?

If you have a good poker face, you could avoid telling the Officer at POE that you are visiting your fiancé, however if you are like me and find it impossible to lie, I believe honesty is the best policy, especially when dealing with the USCIS.

Good luck on your Visa Journey!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.