Kim & Gesner

We had our interview - not too good!

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Haiti
Timeline

We got to the Fallon Bldg in Baltimore, MD at 10:15am, there was a line outside. We turned our interview notice in and waited about an hour. We were called in by a white guy, maybe mid 20's to 30 yrs old. He swore us in and then told us to have a seat. He then went over the "rules" for the interview. He told us if he looks at me, then I am to answer and vise versa for Gesi. He asked us not to look at one another, not to touch or nudge one another. He told us to not answer for the other, do not complete the other's sentence, just look at him and answer the questions directed at us. He then asked if we had any questions or comments we'd like we make. I did tell him even though Gesi speaks decent English, sometimes his comprehension isn't the best and I have to explain for him. He asked if I can translate, I said no. I then said again, he speaks good english just sometimes the questions need to be explained. He then told Gesi if he asks him something he doesn't understand, to please tell him and he will ask again. At this time I felt we were having a stokes interview. I got so nervous not for me, but for Gesi because I knew he would need my help!! He told us the interview would be taped.

He asked us to show him our ID's, Gesi's passport and I-94. The guy asked "Why is your file SO BIG"? I said I wanted to make sure we had everything. He said "I see that"! He then started with basic questions to Gesi. He circled the answers on the application as he went through them. He asked who I was, what is my full name, date of birth, where I was born. Then he asked the same of me about Gesi and asked to see his original birth certificate (which I showed him). Then he asked Gesi what my parents names were, Gesi stated Mrs Carnahan (which is how he addresses her), the guy ask whats her first name, Gesi said "Jan", the guy looked and asked me does she go by her middle name, I said she does. Then my fathers name he answered "Mike" which is what he goes by but is not his first or middle name. I wanted to say something and I tried, the guy stopped me while he looked through the file. Then he asked me what I was going to say and I said, "Mike is the name my father goes by, ever since he was a child. No one calls him by his given name" - He said okay, made a note and moved on. Then he asked me about his parents, which I answered. He asked me if I have ever been to Haiti, I said no. I started to say we are planning a trip for January but he interrupted me and asked how many children does Gesi have. I said three, 2 girls and a boy and I named them. He then stated their birth dates and asked Gesi to confirm their dates of birth and where they live, who do they live with. Gesi answered. He then made it very clear that Gesi's youngest child is ONLY 4. He then asked to Gesi "so you have three children UNDER 10 yrs old"? Gesi said yes. He then asked Gesi "How often are you in contact with your children" and Gesi answered "by phone" - in my head I was like nooo, how OFTEN Gesi. All Gesi heard was "how do you contact your children" The guy asked AGAIN and Gesi answered the same way. I felt helpless, I couldn't say anything at all!! The guy wrote a note and moved on.

He then asked Gesi how me met me. He said "in Turks and Caicos". The guy said "I know that but HOW did you meet her". Gesi answered he was working at the bar and I come to the bar that night with friends after being invited by the DJ on a cruise I took that day (which is correct). But Gesi then said "we decided to be friends and we saw each other every day until she left. We decided to stay friends and we talked every day and then I went to visit her in December" I was thinking "Friends, Gesi, did you have to say FRIENDS???" lol The guy asked Gesi who I was with, how many and their names. Gesi said one girl and gave him her first and last name. He then asked Gesi when we decided to get married. Gesi told him in December he asked me while he was visiting me. He started asking questions about the timeline. He made sure he understood we met in October 2011 and he asked me to marry him in December 2012 but the wedding was originally planned for December 2012. He then asked Gesi when did we get married. Gesi answered "May 26th" - the guy said "Why did you have to get married so soon"? Gesi said "we were excited and couldn't wait". I then spoke up, I just had to and I told him. "We had a trip planned to Texas in May for my sons graduation in Texas. I had the time off and always wanted a beach wedding so we found a guy who could do it and we eloped, no family, no friends, just us. We left for Texas the day after the wedding". He then asked to see wedding pictures and the original wedding certificate which we showed him. While looking at them he said one looked like an "oil painting"?? Not sure what he meant but okay. He then asked if we had anymore pictures of us together other than wedding pictures. We handed him extra pictures of various dates, our trip to Texas which included photos of us together, Gesi with various family members. The guy handed then back after just glancing through. He didn't ask who was in the pictures or anything (all of these were included in the original packet but he asked to see them anyway). <br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(243, 249, 246); "> <br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(243, 249, 246); ">Then we went through the normal questions for Gesi about any military service, belonging to any terrorists groups, etc, etc.

He then went through the divorce papers for each of us and asked us both if we were divorced, we both said yes. He then asked Gesi for his passport again, took a look and handed it back to him. He said he was going to "keep his I-94 since it's expired anyway" - he attached it to the file. The guy then asked why I listed Gesi's mailing address is "in C/O Kimberly Valmera" he said does he not get mail there????- I asked to see what he meant, and it showed my name on the application. I told him I did not intentionally do that and then explained the only mail he receives is USCIS mail, he's never received anything by mail. I said we did not know he would be living here. The guy said "makes sense".

He then asked if we had anything else we would like to share with him. I handed him our lease and a copy of my prior lease which shows my original lease expired July 31st and the new one took affect Aug 1st. He asked "You signed a lease together"? - I said well my original was expired, he is staying with me through this process so she added him and up'd the rent by $100 and made a new lease. I explained that I do not have anything regarding bank accounts and told him Gesi just got his EAD Card Combo yesterday before we drove to Baltimore so we have not had a chance to add him to my bank account or health insurance. The guy said "Well you did add him as a beneficiary on your life insurance" I said "they didn't need a SSN for that". He then said my sons name (who is also listed as a beneficary) and mumbled "why would she have her ex husband as a beneficiary. I started to talk and he asked Gesi, " Who is Austin *****" Gesi replied, "that is her son". The guy asked how old is he, Gesi replied, "he just turned 19, that is the son we went to Texas for graduation". He said okay. He then said "well at least you got the work card now, you can work and start contributing to the household". Gesi agreed and said he is looking forward to helping me.

He then said that was all and asked if we had any questions. I asked what is the next step. He said he has 90 days to approve or deny us. He said he has do the usual red flag indicators for FRAUD. I am thinking "wow, he suspects FRAUD"?????!!!! He said he "has to ensure he (Gesi) will not obtain status and then leave me to remarry his ex wife" - yes those were his exact words! Then I realized since his children were so young I guess he suspects foul intentions. We didn't get a chance to explain WHY they divorced or the fact they were all living in Turks and Caicos and she took off with the kids to Haiti. Gesi came home because she was sick, went to the doctor to find out she is pregnant with someone else's child - of which she aborted to try to save her marriage but he filed papers and that was in 2009, a year after the youngest son was born. I guess maybe I should have said something at that point but I could clearly see Gesi getting upset so I thought it was best to not say anything. The guy walked us out, shook our hands and told us to have a good day. He was very nice at the end, talking to us the whole way out. We smiled anyway, I guess to let him know he didn't beat us down. But on the inside we felt horrible. We never would have ever thought they need to rule out fraud. It's never crossed our minds that would ever be in question.....

Gesi said "dang, that was hard" lol So, I have NO idea how long we will be sitting and waiting...... but I am not expecting anything for while. sad.gif

Edited by Kim & Gesner

October 10, 2011 - We met in Turks and Caicos Islands
May 26, 2012 - We eloped - Ocean City, MD

Adjustment of Status

August 3, 2012 - Mailed AOS packet to Chicago Lockbox
August 6, 2012 - AOS Packet delivered & signed for at 1:22pm
August 17, 2012 - Received Email/Text Notifications for NOA1 at 12:52am EST
August 24, 2012 - Biometric appt noticed received. Scheduled date 09/10/12 at 3pm in Alexandria, VA
August 27, 2012 - Received Hard Copies NOA1/receipts by mail

August 31, 2012 - Successful early walk in for Biometric Appt in Alexandria, VA
September 13, 2012 - Text notice received for Interview

September 15, 2012 - Received Hard Copy Interview Notice
October 6, 2012 - Text notice EAD Card in Production

October 12, 2012 - Text notice EAD Card mailed
October 15, 2012 - Received EAD/AP Combo by mail
October 16, 2012 - 11am Interview in Baltimore, MD

October 22, 2012 - AOS Approval!!
October 26, 2012 - Green Card mailed
October 30, 2012 - Green Card received!

Removal of Conditions
August 8, 2014 - I-751 packet mailed to Vermont Service Center.
August 11, 2014 - Packet delivered and signed for at 2:50pm
August 16, 2014 - NOA1 Received

September 9, 1014 - Biometric Appointment - 2pm - Fort Myers, FL
February 5, 2015 - Case transferred to California Service Center due to move to Texas.
March 30, 2015 - Card Production notice received.

you r in a good shape :thumbs:

AOS

day 1 -- 04/11/2012-- package sent to Chicago

day 2 -- 04/12/2012-- package was received.

day 43-- 05/23/2012-- Notice for an interview is received for 06/26 @ 2pm

day 63-- 06/12/2012-- Received a Text & email for an update- Card production EAD/AP

day 77-- 06/26/2012-- interview / approved on the spot.

day 86-- 07/05/2012-- Received my GC in the mail.

ROC

day 1 -- 04/07/2014 -- ROC Package delivered to VSC

day 16 -- 04/23/2014 -- Walk-in Bio.

day 197 -- 10/20/2014-- Approval Letter received dated 10/16/2014

day 202 -- 10/25/2014-- GC received

Filed: Other Timeline

Looks like the I.O. took his job seriously.

The only thing I personally find weird is that you referred to him as a "white guy."

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

The good news is that he did not deny you then and there and you weren't seperated and interviewed seperately.

I hope you get your approval soon :)

I know it might seem tough but the IO is trying to protect you, the USC first and foremost and that is a good thing!

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Timeline

Looks like the I.O. took his job seriously.

The only thing I personally find weird is that you referred to him as a "white guy."

I wasn't implying anything about his race, just a basic description for anyone else who might be interviewing in the same office. He was the only younger, white man I saw in the office out plenty who were coming out gatjhering people for their interviews. Nothing was meant by it.

Adjustment of Status

August 24, 2012 - Biometric appt noticed received. Scheduled date 09/10/12 at 3pm in Alexandria, VA

Removal of Conditions

February 5, 2015 - Case transferred to California Service Center due to move to Texas.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hope you'll get approval soon..have faith

Adjusting from B2,married to my U.S army husband:-)

March 17-married in Las Vegas
June 11-AOS sent
June 13-touched
June 15-NOA1
June 26-Notice for Biometric
June 29-RFE notice(2011 tax)
July 09-Biometric 1:00 pm at Buena Park,CA
July 11-RFE sent
July 12-Notice I-30 transferred from CSC to NBC
July 16-Response Review
July 20-email saying I-30 transferred to USCIS office
Aug 07-recieved email for interview (Sept 10,2012)
Au9 09-interview letter in the mail at Santa Ana@10:30am
Aug 15-EAD card production
Aug 23-EAD card in hand
Sept 10-Interview Day-APPROVED ON THE SPOT..thank You God:-)
Nov 6-After info pass and Service request finally it updated to DECISION.....
Nov 9-Card Production
Nov 15-Green card in hand:-)

Timeline

Still no news... the waiting continues.... whistling.gif

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Stay positive. Sounds like an approval coming your way soon.

Mrs. Gapamix

3/21/11 Made the decision to file...
4/26/11 Sent Package-----7/30/13
5/16/11 recieved NOA-1-----8/06/13
5/18/11 date on NOA-1------8/02/13
5/20/11 Touched --------------10/16/13--Alien # changed???
7/15/11 Received blue notice/RFE evidenvce of meeting with in two years...
7/20/11 Received email notification from USCIS.
7/20/11 Received text message from USCIS.
7/20/11 Touched
8/02/11 Mailed RFE with evidence required to Vermont
8/04/11 Confirmation from USPS RFE package delivered to Vermont @ 1:30pm
8/05/11 USCIS updated by text and email RFE package received.
8/05/11 Touched
8/18/11 Approved date
8/19/11 EMAIL and TEXT NOTIFICATION APPROVED
8/22/11 official hard copy received
9/08/11 NVC has received our petition
9/19/11 Embassy in Haiti recieves petition
9/20/11 Packet 3 emailed to Petitioner/Beneficiary
10/03/11 Fiance has completed Medical
10/08/11 Fiance picks up Medical results
10/10/11 Packet 3 Completed and sent
10/20/11 packet 4 pick-up and interview date given
10/31/11 Interview day on Halloween
10/31/11 Admin Processing
1/19/12 AP completed Visa Denied

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.