leanne213

Tourist Visa to travel with my military boyfriend

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My boyfriend is in the US Airforce. He is stationed at Mildenhall in the UK. I live in Manchester in the UK. He is currently deployed to Afghanistan. We had agreed that when he returns next year I will move down to be with him. I planned to give up my job as a solicitor and look for work in Cambridge. He has recently found out that he has to go to Nebraska for training for four months next year. I plan to go with him and on our return move straight down to be with him. I have savings to live off in the usa and my boyfriend has confirmed I can stay with him whilst over there so I won't have to bear that expense. My concern is that I will need to give my job up so won't be able to demonstrate that I have a job to come back to. But as a solicitor I can only practice in the UK. Also I plan to live with my boyfriend when we get back so I can show that I'll be living with him but just in case anything happens in that respect I have family I can also live with when I return. Can someone help me with what visa I need and advise on increasing my chances of success. I'm apprehensive to give my job up if I am unlikely to get a visa??

The easiest thing would be to use the Visa Waiver Program, and go for the maximum of 90 days allowed. You'd have to spend one month apart, but you have a much better chance of getting the approval to use it (the ESTA system gives approval) than something else. You can apply for the ESTA registration and have an answer in a few minutes (and it costs very little).

The other option would be to try for a B2 tourist visa, which allows maximum stays of up to 6 months. However, since you can travel visa free, you need to convince them why you need 6 months and not just 3 months. I am not sure living in the US with a bf (where would you live btw, you can't live with him I don;t think, he's on base) would be a good enough reason for them. If they deny you, your ESTA registration is also likely to be denied for a while.

With the VWP you get 90 days almost guaranteed, if you get your B2 denied, then you would get zero days. If you try for the B2, I would keep your job until you have an answer, so you have something to fall back on if it's denied. Best of luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Agree with Harpa. ESTA registration is quick, ready, cheap and unless you have some serious skeletons in your closet, an almost guaranteed approval. To top it off, ESTA is filled out online and it gives you an immediate response. Just google ESTA, click the first link, fill out the form and pay $14. As long as it comes back as "travel authorized" you can travel visa free and stay for up to 90 days.

If you still want to stay for 4 months, you'll need a B-2 tourist visa. This involves applying at your local consulate/embassy in London. You will also have to go to a visa interview. They'll likely ask what you well be doing in the US, who you'll be staying with and what your ties are to the UK. Keep in mind that if the B-2 visa is denied at the consulate/embassy, you cannot use ESTA, and will likely need a B-2 visa next time, even if you plan to stay less than 90 days.

Honestly, IMO, is almost never worth it to apply for a B-2 if you're eligible to use ESTA.

Edited by Jay Jay

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Another vote for 80 days and ESTA.

Usually single military do not get accommodation off base.

If you want at some time to follow him back to the US you need to broach the M subject.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I think on the basis of what you say I should just use the ESTA. I already have one, having travelled to see my boyfriend in the USA twice this year. If I go with him for his training next year we will stay off base. He intends to rent us somewhere to stay as opposed to staying on base (because I cannot stay there). Boiler as much as I love the USA I don't intend to follow him out there, not any time soon at least! I am a qualified solicitor in the UK, I cannot practice law in the USA unless I train further, which I do not want to do. One law school experience was enough!

One concern regarding the ESTA however is when I arrive at immigration in the USA, would it be best to have an open ticket and say I do not know when I am returning but it will be before the 90 days is up, or book a return ticket for say a month and if I do decide to stay the whole 90 days change the date of return ticket but leave before the 90 days is up? I am concerned that again as I will not have a job to return to or any fixed address (I will stay with family or in my boyfriends house until he returns) they may believe that I am a risk of overstaying? I will be travelling with my boyfriend who can confirm that I intend to leave either when he does or before, but I would prefer to avoid a grilling from immigration.

Thank you again for taking time to reply.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You need a return ticket to use the VWP. One of the requirements.

I would say as little as possible, if they ask for your address just give the address.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

i too vote for 80 days on ESTA.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.