Kory_USA

US citizen marrying South African...need help ASAP please!

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: South Africa
Timeline

Hello everyone,

Here's a quick history. I am an American Citizen born and raised in the states. My fiance is a South African citizen that has lived in the U.S., with her parents, for the last (almost) 7 years. They came to California in September, 2005. Her mother was sponsored by Rite Aid under an H1B work visa to work as a Pharmacist. My fiance, Celeste, and her younger brother and their father all came under H4 visas attached to her mother's H1B visa. We met early this year and have been dating for many months and had decided to marry 3-4 months and since then her mother resigned from Rite Aid and moved her family back to SA. So, we decided to have our wedding in SA and are staying here in SA for a couple of months to visit family and then get married in November. Celeste and I had planned from the beginning to reside in California, and still want to continue with those plans. Here is the problem: Because her mother resigned from Rite Aid and left the States, all of their visas have been revoked because they are no longer being sponsered by the company. BUT, we want to live in the U.S. and we are very concerned that she wont be able to come back as planned. We understand that all the Fiance/Spouse visas take many months to process and be approved, and we have been in SA togther for 3 weeks(me) and 3 months(her). Her parents still own a house and travel trailer in California and have active bank accounts as well. My parents also live in California and are willing to co-sponsor if necessary. SO, here is the question: HOW can I take her back home to the U.S. with me as soon as possible, and, is it better to just legally marry here in South Africa, or rather wait and legally marry in the States. We came to SA on a vacation to get married with intentions to return, and we want to go home together ASAP :( If anyone can help or suggest some advice it will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

-Kory

If you marry abroad, you would need to file the spousal petition. Be sure to read the guide on what's involved: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=i130guide1

There isn't an option that would have her back with you right away, however.

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Filed: Country: South Africa
Timeline

Thank you LeftCoastLady, we appreciate the feedback! still wondering though, if you (or anyone else) know whether it will be better to legally marry here in SA and do the CR1/k3 route and I will just stay in SA until she is approved, or go the K1 route and I will still stay until she is approved?... anything helps us understand this chaotic system :/ thank you!

The K-3 visa is obsolete. It would be the IR-1/CR-1 if you go the spousal route. As to which option is best for your situation, that is a personal decision that you and your future spouse would need to decide on. Check the comparison chart to see the K-1 vs. IR-1/CR-1 at a glance: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=compare

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

The K-3 visa is obsolete. It would be the IR-1/CR-1 if you go the spousal route. As to which option is best for your situation, that is a personal decision that you and your future spouse would need to decide on. Check the comparison chart to see the K-1 vs. IR-1/CR-1 at a glance: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=compare

So true. :thumbs:

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

The K-3 visa is obsolete. It would be the IR-1/CR-1 if you go the spousal route. As to which option is best for your situation, that is a personal decision that you and your future spouse would need to decide on. Check the comparison chart to see the K-1 vs. IR-1/CR-1 at a glance: http://www.visajourn...om&page=compare

I second this motion and I have to say that your fiancee has a gorgeous name....tongue.gif I wonder why I would say such thing

Hi Kory. Fellow South African here. As mentioned by others it is a personal decision as to which route you should take but from personal experience, if you are READY to get married, then the CR1 route is best. Get married in SA or the US (Might be a prob convincing the Point of Entry Officer that Celeste will return home so take ample evidence that she has ties to SA, maybe a letter from her job to say that she is still employed, proof of things in her name etc). After all the necessary steps have been taken she will have an Immigrant Visa, less hassle and cheaper. Thats just my opinion though. All the best, whichever route you take :)

guyne8c.png

• 1 month later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.