Betybee

VWP/ESTA...shall I worry?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone,

I'm new here...tho not completely as i have been lurking here for couple weeks now.;-)))

Well, I have yet another not exciting question regarding VWP...I know, I know..people have far more serious worries here than i have.. but I have to say as I was reading various forums and topics on this website I got myself actually really worried, so I would like to know opinion of more experienced folks.;-))

So the story is...I'm Czech national, living in the UK since 2005. About a year ago I've met my American (totally awesome) BF. I did go visit him in the US in Aug this year for 16 days, I travelled on VWP as the Czech Republic in one of those countries included. I was rather blissfully ignorant about having any special documents on me (etc. proof of job, bank statement...anything) The lady from certain airways in the UK went for me like a pittbull...don't know if it was my Czech passport or my tattooed sleeve.LOL Anyhow, she wanted me to proof i have lived here for so long and all kinda stuff...but I got through with no troubles, the guy in the US border was actually friendly and wish me good luck.;-)

Now Im going back in couple weeks time ,firstly as I miss my BF (obviously) and secodly his daughter is getting married, so I have recieved the invitation for the wedding. I just wonder how likely I'm experieced any kinda hassle with my entry to the US...I'm well aware that there are no guarantees whatsoever..but just would like to know what people think I should expect.

Facts: I'm travelling back after 11 weeks from my first visit there...it will be just bout 5 days after expiry of my previous 90 days stamp in my passport. I can stay only 10 days this time. Is it gonna rise eyebrows? I mean...me going back after 11 weeks.

I did say to the guy there ,that I'm going to see my BF..but from what I read, it is better not to shout that too loud..as for some PEO it is red flag...I do going for the wedding, which is exactly what I'm gonna say, but if they start questioning me more..and it will come to light ,that the friend is actually my BF daughter..are they likely take it that i was trying to deceive them? I will keep my question sweet and short..but who knows if they gonna start asking more and more...

As far as the relationship goes..and them(Immigration officers)suspecting I'd stay and marry him (although we havent even discuss that really ,since it is so early in our relationship).... well, I'm still married to my separated husband, so it is basically out of the question anyway...but will it satisfy them? plus obviously, there are rules and procedures to be followed anyway, if the question would arise in future...

I guess the fact ,that I have emigrated from the Czech to the UK could give them reason to think I may be thinking of doing it again...however I will have a letter from my employer, stating how long I have worked for them, that I'm not any trouble maker and that they are expecting me by certain date, because I have already lined up work after my return and over the X-mas period. Also I have my severly disabled father here, living with me and I'm his main and only carer really...so he is pretty dependant on me. I was thinking getting letter from his GP to confirm that and have my boss mention it in the letter, that they are aware of my home sutiation too...will take my tenancy agreement to prove that. Is it gonna be enough to show my ties and reasons to return back...??

I will have reasonable amount of money with me, but since I don't need to pay for my acommodation, transport and some food too I guess.LOL I'm wondering if they may have trouble with my "sufficient funds"...shall I have my BF write some sort of invitation letter to confirm ,that I will stay in his home..? I read that VWP visitors don't really need invitation letter..but if it would shed a light on the money thing...?

I will have my return ticket , plus travel insurance for those 10 days..that goes without saying....

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.;-) I guess I probably worry too much..but I do not wanna miss the wedding and just wanna know what to get ready for.;-)

Thank you!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This is only your second visit to the States, and you are going on the VWP, so if I were you I wouldn't worry too much. I am sure that if you appear confident you will not be questioned much. Answer any questions truthfully, but don't offer any extra information and you should be OK. Also, don't take the kitchen sink with you! Enjoy the wedding.

The 90 day stamp pertains to the length of stay you are allowed in the US on a particular visit. Each time you enter the US on the VWP, your passport will be stamped again with another 90 or 60 days stamp... depends on the official.

I agree that having employment letter, GP confirmation of carer status, letter confirming where you will be staying during your US are very good ideas and yes, mention you'll be attending a wedding (have the invite at hand, too). When I mentioned I was visiting my BF on last visit, it did generate more questions than usual at the POE.

If you have the above in addition to your return ticket, etc all should be well. Good luck, anyway (F) (F)

Edited by Vicomi

K1 Visa - Dates in UK format

02/05/2012 I-129F Sent
07/05/2012 I-129F NOA1
02/11/2012 I-129F NOA2
14/11/2012 NVC Left
29/11/2012 Packet 3 Received
07/12/2012 Medical
12/12/2012 Packet 3 Sent
30/01/2013 Packet 4 Received
20/02/2013 Interview Date - Approved!
28/02/2013 Visa Received
03/06/2013 US Entry smile.png

22/06/2013 Marriage (Beautiful day) heart.gifrose.gif

AOS & EAD - Dates in US format

07/29/2013 Filing date

08/06/2013 NOA1

08/28/2013 Biometrics Apt

06/23/2014 Green Card

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Odd reaction from the airline employee.

VWP is 90 days or nothing.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I don't think you'll have any issues. You seem really on the ball with regards to the evidence you need to carry with you when travelling on the VWP.

11/29/12 - AOS Interview in Atlanta - 10 minutes long and approved on the spot.

ROC in 2014!

The lady from certain airways in the UK went for me like a pittbull

The airlines are the ones who have to fly people back home if they get denied entry. Sometimes the airlines can actually ask more questions than the CBP, although they can't deny boarding if you have your passport and ESTA/Visa in order etc.

I'm travelling back after 11 weeks from my first visit there...it will be just bout 5 days after expiry of my previous 90 days stamp in my passport. I can stay only 10 days this time. Is it gonna rise eyebrows? I mean...me going back after 11 weeks.

Being gone for 11 weeks, and only spending 10 days this time should be fine. No worries. It's not like you spent 3 months, been gone for 11 days and spending another 3 months.

I guess the fact ,that I have emigrated from the Czech to the UK could give them reason to think I may be thinking of doing it again

No. Your move to the UK is a very different matter. EU citizens have freedom of movement within the EU - You emigrating to the UK is not an immigration process, but rather a moving process. Had you moved from outside the EU to the UK it might have been different.

Edited by Jay Jay

The airlines are the ones who have to fly people back home if they get denied entry. Sometimes the airlines can actually ask more questions than the CBP, although they can't deny boarding if you have your passport and ESTA/Visa in order etc.

Being gone for 11 weeks, and only spending 10 days this time should be fine. No worries. It's not like you spent 3 months, been gone for 11 days and spending another 3 months.

No. Your move to the UK is a very different matter. EU citizens have freedom of movement within the EU - You emigrating to the UK is not an immigration process, but rather a moving process. Had you moved from outside the EU to the UK it might have been different.

Thank you Jay Jay for your answer ,especially for clarifying this Czech-UK moving thing. It is kinda relief , that it's not what I thought they could see in it.

Odd reaction from the airline employee.

VWP is 90 days or nothing.

I don't know if it was part of her duty or not, but she did manage to nearly make me cry...I have never experienced anything like that before.;-)) I even book myself "priority access" to kinda make my first trip there nice and smooth...ha...how wrong was I.LOL She did question me a lot, then she took my passport away fro like 5 minutes..even the other lady from the airline who was dealing with the luggage was wondering what it is all about...? She then gave me diffrent sticker on back of my passport from everyone else in my line ,that I noticed...and before I got to the plane, she made sure to pull me out in the gate and check my bag again...ask me questions again..do all sort of swabs from me...my shoes...my handbag...everyone looks at you like you have done something real bad;-))...oh yea, it was juicy.;-))) I don't think I look like some kinda smuggler or terrorist, so not sure why all that hassle..but hey..I boarded the plane and that's the main thing.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.