paws057

Ever thought of moving to her country?

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I have definitely left that option open with my wife who is from Odessa, Ukraine. That would make a nice city to retire to, but I got at least 32-35 more years before I retire... If ####### hits the fan here in the good ole' USA, then I'm out earlier.

I wish I would win the lottery, then I'd stay in Ukraine 3-6 months out of the year.

Ukraine babes rule!

Make sure you update your timeline!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Look for expat forums. Here is one for Ukraine that a couple of VJers post on.

expatukraine.com

Most Ukraine expats that can't get residency wound up just leaving for the US every three months (or overnight to an EU country like Romania that doesn't require a visa). The law changes all the time though. Now I think they have a longer residency, and if you are married to a Ukrainian I think there is an answer for that too.

Because of the new Russian multi-entry visa, you may have a problem leaving and coming right back. All this is conjecture from me, as I have never been to Russia at all. I also get that you aren't going right now, just thinking about it.

Thanks! I found a Russian Expat site and did some looking around last night. From what I can tell immigration into Russia is a paperwork nightmare much like coming here! The difference is I don't speak much Russian!!:) To be honest I can't read Russian either so that's a huge problem! Guess I better start to study a little harder! I know enough Russian to get what I want at the market and to get around but that's it. Of course a few phrases just for her as well!;)Yes, it's just something to think about for the future maybe when I retire. I also learned that almost anything can be bought there, drivers license, work permit ect. That is 'if' you have the money!

event.png

Timeline

If you are married to a Russian citizen, you can get temporary residency and then permanent residency, and you will have the right to be an independent contractor. However, it's a question of whether you have skills in demand in Russia. Amy mentioned English teaching, which is always an option, but it's not for everyone. I, for instance, hate it. You could always start a business or something though. There is a lot of opportunity in Russia; it is just kind of a risky game to play.

Yes that is true but the TRP and PRP are not that easy to get and from what I've read the paperwork is unbelievable!! Work permits can be bought or so I'm told but for a nice price! Although English is my native language teaching it is not for me! I hated English in school!:) Starting a business is something I've thought about as well but you are right it is risky! Then again it's risky here to!

event.png

Timeline

I have definitely left that option open with my wife who is from Odessa, Ukraine. That would make a nice city to retire to, but I got at least 32-35 more years before I retire... If ####### hits the fan here in the good ole' USA, then I'm out earlier.

I wish I would win the lottery, then I'd stay in Ukraine 3-6 months out of the year.

Ukraine from what I read is a little more friendly when it comes to long term visa's than Russia is. Odessa would be nice!:) True if the ####### hits the fan here it would be nice to have somewhere to go!:)

event.png

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Yes that is true but the TRP and PRP are not that easy to get and from what I've read the paperwork is unbelievable!! Work permits can be bought or so I'm told but for a nice price! Although English is my native language teaching it is not for me! I hated English in school!:) Starting a business is something I've thought about as well but you are right it is risky! Then again it's risky here to!

You're entitled to it if you're married to a Russian citizen. It is hard to get if you are not. Yes, the paperwork is a nightmare, but what in Russia doesn't involve nightmarish paperwork? If you want to live in Russia, though, learn the language.

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

You're entitled to it if you're married to a Russian citizen. It is hard to get if you are not. Yes, the paperwork is a nightmare, but what in Russia doesn't involve nightmarish paperwork? If you want to live in Russia, though, learn the language.

You have a point there!! You should have seen the paperwork we had to do when picking up my luggage at customs!! OMG!!! That woman stamped 7 copies of one form!! 7 copies!!! Yes I am learning the language, it's only fair really! I can't go over there and expect people to speak English! After all it's their country and Russian is the native language!:)

event.png

You have a point there!! You should have seen the paperwork we had to do when picking up my luggage at customs!! OMG!!! That woman stamped 7 copies of one form!! 7 copies!!! Yes I am learning the language, it's only fair really! I can't go over there and expect people to speak English! After all it's their country and Russian is the native language!:)

This is another subject we cover fairly often on RUB. I started learning conversational Russian years before I met Vika, as I was travelling to Belarus regularly for business. I never did get to any sort of fluency though, because I have never been immersed in the language. This is the advantage people like eekee and Amy have, I think. Once the wife and I serttled here (my business went toes up years before), there just wasn't exposure enough or any real need to keep learning. I can still order in a restaurant or ask where the touilet paper is in the supermarket if I need to, but that is about it.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

• 2 weeks later...
I can still order in a restaurant or ask where the touilet paper is in the supermarket if I need to, but that is about it.

After about a dozen years of hanging out with Russian chicks, I'm in a similar place. I have a feeling if we were "dropped in" we'd be able to pick it up very quickly and it would only be a few months before we'd be speaking like the locals.

I wouldn't mind living in Russia but it seems like the type of place I'd end up getting into a lot of trouble. Too much booze, too many women, and too much opportunity to do bad things!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

I wouldn't mind living in Russia but it seems like the type of place I'd end up getting into a lot of trouble. Too much booze, too many women, and too much opportunity to do bad things!

Not to mention you would live in a place where you have no control over anything day-to-day, really. So if the wife gets mad, or wants to mess with you - look out :lol:

Edited to say that Vika tells me she is now used to the courtesy shown here in America. She says that the careless service and rude attitude she gets back in Ukraine really drives her crazy now for the first week or so.

Edited by Brad and Vika

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Not to mention you would live in a place where you have no control over anything day-to-day, really. So if the wife gets mad, or wants to mess with you - look out :lol:

That one works both ways over there. ;)

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Timeline

Edited to say that Vika tells me she is now used to the courtesy shown here in America. She says that the careless service and rude attitude she gets back in Ukraine really drives her crazy now for the first week or so.

Amazing how they change.

They keep the good stuff though. We went out for dinner the other night...I dropped Alla at the door of our favorite restaraunt downtown and had to run back about 3 blocks in the rain. I walked in and told the Maitre'D that I was there to meet my wife. He said "there is an incredibly beautiful woman in the corner straight ahead who told me she was waiting for her husband." I looked and smiled. He said "You, sir, are a very lucky man" Indeed I am. She had her beautiful red dress on, Stockings (yeah the REAL stockings) and heels (of course) Her hair and make up were impeccable as always. Just the right amount of jewelry to be interesting but never gaudy. Her wool, long coat and her fur hat on the booth next to her (yes it is getting cold here already)

I am glad they never change some things. We are all lucky.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Amazing how they change.

They keep the good stuff though. We went out for dinner the other night...I dropped Alla at the door of our favorite restaraunt downtown and had to run back about 3 blocks in the rain. I walked in and told the Maitre'D that I was there to meet my wife. He said "there is an incredibly beautiful woman in the corner straight ahead who told me she was waiting for her husband." I looked and smiled. He said "You, sir, are a very lucky man" Indeed I am. She had her beautiful red dress on, Stockings (yeah the REAL stockings) and heels (of course) Her hair and make up were impeccable as always. Just the right amount of jewelry to be interesting but never gaudy. Her wool, long coat and her fur hat on the booth next to her (yes it is getting cold here already)

american_european_female.jpg

Edited by Bad_Daddy

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Timeline

:lol:

It was, in fact, coffee that led us to get married. After carrying her bags to the hotel she said "You have to let me buy you coffee for helping me" :D OK.

An American woman would have called the police if I grabbed her bags and said "Follow me". The Ukrainian woman thinks "Cool, a man to carry my bags because I am smoking hot and damn glad I wear heels everywhere I go so I never have to break my nails carrying heavy bags"

I hate coffee! :lol: But THAT night I was a coffee drinker!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Timeline

Amazing how they change.

Sounds like a fancy restaurant!

Timeline

Sounds like a fancy restaurant!

Luenig's. French Bistro at College and Church Street in Burlington. Not only excellent food and service but open later than most so we go there after dancing many times on Saturday night. One of the few restaraunts in Burlington that is really good and open late. Google it. Alla had Ceasar Salad with blackened salmon. I had a grilled chicken/pasta/veggis dish which is excellent. Great French Onion Soup. We took my car, the 2009 Dodge Caravan.

Thanks for following us in the RUB forum. Hope you haven't missed the new photos at my profile. One is another ad she did for the Canadians. More to come.

Where does your husband like to take you for dinner after dancing? What do the Maitre'Ds say about you at that place?

The non-American is a 53 year old RUB widow who has had 3 kids. She is the Bahbushka of 6.

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.