paws057

Ever thought of moving to her country?

40 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I always said if it was denied I would go to his country or another country like Italy where my family is from :thumbs: But I strongly feel why do I have to go to another country when USA is my country and we should be able to marry who we love where ever he or she is from in this world and bring him or her home to our country

Edited by AYMAN_RINA

VMnmm7.pngrSeTm7.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Let's say her visa was denied, would you ever consider moving to her country? Just curious really!

Welcome to the forum.

Kinda depends on the country and the relationship, eh? :blink:

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

Kinda depends on the country and the relationship, eh? :blink:

Thanks! I've actually thought about it but will admit Russia is very different than the USA! Not bad just different!:) Although there are things that would drive most Americans crazy over there! :bonk:

event.png

This topic is discussed here A LOT. Many of us on RUB have either lived abroad or seriously considered it, but there is a very vocal group that would never do it. We actually have some expats posting from Russia and Ukraine too.

Vika and I discussed it, but I couldn't make a living in Ukraine. I do pretty well here, and with a new daughter to think about, we probably wouldn't do it. I used to think maybe we could split our time after i retire, but eighteen years from now who knows how we will feel about it? Eighteen years is when my daughter could maybe fly solo. I could retire about then too, if we were set financially.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm absolutely terrified that Maxim won't get a well paying job in the US. He's in a good field (software development), very skilled, but some people are anti-foreigners...

If the situation became that he'd have to scrub dishes for years, yes, I'd move to Russia, because at least I could teach English there and it's good money, and I've lived there before and know how it is. Otherwise, if he does find work here (he's working remotely for a Russian company right now), then I would still like to live there after we have kids because I'd like my children to know Russian and know their heritage well.

Edited by AmyWrites

Without a second thought. Home is where my wife is!

I think we would just choose another country and start hoping around if it came to that though. But, as stated above, our long term plan is to move to her country eventually so long as we don't foresee any unrest and the like.

I love Argentina though, great place with great people.

Relationship and I-130 Process

Sometime in October, 2011: We met online talking about Argentina.
Later in October: Met in person in Philadelphia and became good friends.
March 4, 2012: Became girlfriend and boyfriend, officially.
March 21: Gloria leaves the US at the end of her J-1 Visa.
April 9: Got engaged!
May 12-26: Chris visits Buenos Aires.
May 18: Got married in Argentina :) Happy day!!
May 29: Sent out I-130
June 4: NOA1 received.
August 17-20: Chris visits again.
September 22-29: Chris 3rd visit, Gloria's birthday!
November 11-January 5: Chris stays in Argentina almost 2 months, Gloria is happy!
December 28: NOA2 YAY!!!
December 31: Package received at NVC.
January 18, 2013: Got case # and IIN.
February 6: Case complete!!
February 11: Interview assigned.
February 25: Package received at Embassy in Buenos Aires.
March 18: Interview Approved!!
March 28: Visa received.
March 29: Houston POE

April 11: received greencard!!!!!!!

January 9, 2015: sent out form I-751

I'd like my children to know Russian and know their heritage well.

This is a big consideration too (a good point Amy). How to keep your kids in touch with their heritage is a major problem sometimes.

I am sure your husband will get a break here. The ambition level and what an immigrant considers "hard work" usually wins out over prejudice.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

This topic is discussed here A LOT. Many of us on RUB have either lived abroad or seriously considered it, but there is a very vocal group that would never do it. We actually have some expats posting from Russia and Ukraine too.

Vika and I discussed it, but I couldn't make a living in Ukraine. I do pretty well here, and with a new daughter to think about, we probably wouldn't do it. I used to think maybe we could split our time after i retire, but eighteen years from now who knows how we will feel about it? Eighteen years is when my daughter could maybe fly solo. I could retire about then too, if we were set financially.

Yes not being able to make a living would be a problem for me as well. I could retire now if I really had to but I wouldn't be rich by any means! Enough to live comfortable in Russia though I think. Not rich mind you just comfortable! I'm still young enough though I'm really not quite ready for the rocking chair yet!:) I've tried to find information on moving to Russia but have not found anything official really. I mean I can't pack my bags and tell them at passport control 'I'm here'!!:) There has to be an official way to get there or should I say a legal way to get there and stay long term. The new visa's will allow you to stay for 6 months at a time but having to leave the country every 6 months could get expensive and be a pain I would think?

event.png

If I was single and my retirement had kicked in....you betcha. I'd have a minimum of two hot little maids.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Yes not being able to make a living would be a problem for me as well. I could retire now if I really had to but I wouldn't be rich by any means! Enough to live comfortable in Russia though I think. Not rich mind you just comfortable! I'm still young enough though I'm really not quite ready for the rocking chair yet!:) I've tried to find information on moving to Russia but have not found anything official really. I mean I can't pack my bags and tell them at passport control 'I'm here'!!:) There has to be an official way to get there or should I say a legal way to get there and stay long term. The new visa's will allow you to stay for 6 months at a time but having to leave the country every 6 months could get expensive and be a pain I would think?

Look for expat forums. Here is one for Ukraine that a couple of VJers post on.

expatukraine.com

Most Ukraine expats that can't get residency wound up just leaving for the US every three months (or overnight to an EU country like Romania that doesn't require a visa). The law changes all the time though. Now I think they have a longer residency, and if you are married to a Ukrainian I think there is an answer for that too.

Because of the new Russian multi-entry visa, you may have a problem leaving and coming right back. All this is conjecture from me, as I have never been to Russia at all. I also get that you aren't going right now, just thinking about it.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

If you are married to a Russian citizen, you can get temporary residency and then permanent residency, and you will have the right to be an independent contractor. However, it's a question of whether you have skills in demand in Russia. Amy mentioned English teaching, which is always an option, but it's not for everyone. I, for instance, hate it. You could always start a business or something though. There is a lot of opportunity in Russia; it is just kind of a risky game to play.

Первый блин комом.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Let's say her visa was denied, would you ever consider moving to her country? Just curious really!

I would, and that was discussed before we filed. I previously lived in Ukraine and we still keep our apartment there. Now that Alla is a citizen we may just end up living there again at least part time. We could make the retirement dollar go a whole lot further!

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.