Floxy

anyone travelled to and returned from Nigeria on the EAD/AP

21 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi, has anyone travelled to and returned from Nigeria on the EAD/AP combo card? I am living thro a nightmare right now. I recently returned to Nigeria via Abuja three weeks ago to attend to family issues, using my EAD/AP card. At the Abuja airport on my return jorney, the contractors screening the tarvel documents refused to clear me to board my flight because they wouldnt accept the Combo card as travel document as well. To my amazement, they called an officer in the us embassy in abuja who actually corroborated their stand that the document does not permit me to travel to US without a valid visa. I visited the embassy in abuja the next day to speak with the officials and this officer in the embassy still maintained that it is not a travel document and that I cant go back without a visa. I am stuck here and I have a training to attend right now in the US and my AOS interview coming up in a few weeks.

Has anyone had a similar experience or any experience returning from Nigeria either thro Lagos or Abuja airport with the EAD/AP combo card. I need urgent help pls, regarding possible solutions.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** split from an old topic and moved to correct forum to get best answers ****

When did you get your card? The only thing I can think of is that it';s expired maybe?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Clearly they arr wrong. Speak to someone higher up the food chain?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

First I would try to contact someone in Lagos and see if they are of the same opinion if you don't get a positive answer from here. If that fails go back to the embassy and get travel papers like the ones you get when you lose your green card overseas. Those are known to be ok to travel with. If you have a spouse/parent stateside put them in charge of raising hell though your representives. You don't have an overstay or other negative do you ?

Edited by NigeriaorBust

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

First I would try to contact someone in Lagos and see if they are of the same opinion if you don't get a positive answer from here. If that fails go back to the embassy and get travel papers like the ones you get when you lose your green card overseas. Those are known to be ok to travel with. If you have a spouse/parent stateside put them in charge of raising hell though your representives. You don't have an overstay or other negative do you ?

Tnx you all for your replies. No I don't have an overstay nor any negative that I'm aware of. I've only been in Nigeria for 3 weeks and never been in unlawful presence in the US either. The officer says that since I am not yet an LPR, that they can not issue me with a travel document from the embassy. If anyone has successfully used this card through Lagos pls post your experience here and help!!!

Timeline

*** split from an old topic and moved to correct forum to get best answers ****

When did you get your card? The only thing I can think of is that it';s expired maybe?

I got my card on July this year and it will expire next year July

Filed: Timeline

I got my card on July this year and it will expire next year July

I'm personally saddened by this, I know the feeling of getting to the airport, in my case it was Murtala, and denied boarding.

I've started a topic on a Nigerian forum to see what the folks on the ground says.

If i were in your shoes. I would go back to the embassy, always act professional and courteous, do your darnest to get to a person of authority and throw yourself at their mercy. If this card won;t work to get out ask him/her what will? When you get back stateside you can then start the good fight to see why they'll give you a basically worthless travel document.

Sorry that this is happening to you.

Timeline

I'm personally saddened by this, I know the feeling of getting to the airport, in my case it was Murtala, and denied boarding.

I've started a topic on a Nigerian forum to see what the folks on the ground says.

If i were in your shoes. I would go back to the embassy, always act professional and courteous, do your darnest to get to a person of authority and throw yourself at their mercy. If this card won;t work to get out ask him/her what will? When you get back stateside you can then start the good fight to see why they'll give you a basically worthless travel document.

Sorry that this is happening to you.

Thanks Gowon. Yesterday at the abuja embassy, i actually asked the lady the question about what will work, she insists that I have to go through the process of trying to get a visa! I have shown her a number of documentation on the card and what it does including the accompanying notice from USCIS but she insists that EAD/AP is just for employment not travel. I think there's a big disconnect between the USCIS and the Embassy on this card, which is quite ridiculous and embarassing.

I'm sorry to hear this kind of thing happening to any human being! But, is there not a right paperwork for travel without a problem? I think I have heard about a paper to be filed and wait for something like 3 months to be approved. Is that form called EAD of what is it that you have not got right? I wish you all the very best in this matter.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

At this point to get stateside he actually will have to get CR-1 visa if embassy keeps rejecting it. Only other solution I see is fly to a different country first (Europe ?) and go to US from there.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Thanks Gowon. Yesterday at the abuja embassy, i actually asked the lady the question about what will work, she insists that I have to go through the process of trying to get a visa! I have shown her a number of documentation on the card and what it does including the accompanying notice from USCIS but she insists that EAD/AP is just for employment not travel. I think there's a big disconnect between the USCIS and the Embassy on this card, which is quite ridiculous and embarassing.

I feel your pain... However, my question is did you read the "Fine Prints" on your EAD/AP when you got it. I know what I am saying might be hard to swallow but, the person you talked to at the Embassy is correct. EAD/AP is specifically for employment purposes, not for traveling.

Some Indian developers I work with have the same thing you have and each time they travelled outside US, they would request for a special travel visa. I would contact a good employment attorney for a better explanation of the laws and how you can get past this nightmare.

Good luck.

Timeline

Hi, has anyone travelled to and returned from Nigeria on the EAD/AP combo card? I am living thro a nightmare right now. I recently returned to Nigeria via Abuja three weeks ago to attend to family issues, using my EAD/AP card. At the Abuja airport on my return jorney, the contractors screening the tarvel documents refused to clear me to board my flight because they wouldnt accept the Combo card as travel document as well. To my amazement, they called an officer in the us embassy in abuja who actually corroborated their stand that the document does not permit me to travel to US without a valid visa. I visited the embassy in abuja the next day to speak with the officials and this officer in the embassy still maintained that it is not a travel document and that I cant go back without a visa. I am stuck here and I have a training to attend right now in the US and my AOS interview coming up in a few weeks.

Has anyone had a similar experience or any experience returning from Nigeria either thro Lagos or Abuja airport with the EAD/AP combo card. I need urgent help pls, regarding possible solutions.

EAD card is for employment while the AP is for traveling, you shouldn't have travel without proper authorization. because it will amount to abandonment.however,see if you can contact a USCIS for assistance.

I feel your pain... However, my question is did you read the "Fine Prints" on your EAD/AP when you got it. I know what I am saying might be hard to swallow but, the person you talked to at the Embassy is correct. EAD/AP is specifically for employment purposes, not for traveling.

Some Indian developers I work with have the same thing you have and each time they travelled outside US, they would request for a special travel visa. I would contact a good employment attorney for a better explanation of the laws and how you can get past this nightmare.

Good luck.

Hmmmm......

The combo card picture I saw on the interenetz, says SERVES AS I-512 ADVANCE PAROLE.

So OP, did you in fact apply for both EAD and AP and what does your card says on it? Can you post a pic? Remove personal identifications first.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Good luck.

This is wrong. The new card actually states on it that it serves as the I-512.

"Serves as I-512 Advance Parole." A card with this text will serve as both an

employment authorization and Advance Parole document. The new card is also more

secure and more durable than the current paper Advance Parole document.

You can find the above text here. http://www.uscis.gov...00045f3d6a1RCRD

OP you problem is not with DOS or USCIS. Your problem is with the people that are not allowing you to leave. The card hasn't been in existence long and you will have to take your issue higher up the food chain with whatever group is not accepting it.

My wife had an issue in Shanghai and just asked to speak with a supervisor. We were also armed with an explanation of the document from the USCIS website.

Good luck...be prepared.

Edited by Operator

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.